The Hurt Locker

Dick Splash

Your question suggests they're not portrayed well. :rolleyes: I see Fiennes was in it. Guy Pearce is a great actor too.

No, not necessarily. The actors did a great job. It's more what happens to them in the plot of the film. I think you'll know what I mean when you see it ...

Interesting thing is the director of Hurt Locker and James Cameron used to be married ...

used to be a running joke between them:

---"she" made the entire movie at less than 14 million

---"he" makes 14 million a day with Avatar

except hers was a better original-story movie :whistle:

still best movie for 2009 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I saw this when it first came out and I thought it was a cracking film, I saw it again recently and my opinion changed a little.

Although its still way better than most popcorn blockbusters, its a film without a story (which leaves it feeling a bit empty). There are character arcs but no story arc.

The bit with the windscreen wiper still made me jump out of my chair though :D

I've just watched it, so...

DS - what did you think of the portrayal of the Brits in the film?
Mercenaries...Oh! sorry...contractors...are portrayed well aren't they? :rolleyes:

What a bunch of cowboys! There was just no need for it.

There was one part in the middle of the film (sniper part) that felt kinda unrealistic but I'm guessing this was just hollywood tension being added in.
Not sure why it was in there. Perhaps it was some loose script blowing around the desert and the crew had some spare film.

...its a film without a story (which leaves it feeling a bit empty). There are character arcs but no story arc.
I came away with the same.

The film was Ok, but it did not deserve any of the BAFTA's. There was absolutely no need for any of the four cameo appearances, and that includes Evangeline Lilly. The film should have sacked off Renner's predecessor and instead focused on him fitting in with the other two and their daily tasks. With the camera techiniques used, it would have been much better filmed in a claustrophibic and miopic view of what they did, solving different problems as they wound down to going home. They were the personalities and everyone else should have been scenery. I saw Renner's character more as a man that felt most at home in his life doing his job, rather than him being an adrenalin junky. The cliched view of life at home cleaning gutters and shopping in WalMart or the Commissary was unnecessary. It reminded me of a low budget British film called 'Contact' from the eighties. Based on a book and set in Northern Ireland, it portrayed a handful of lads from the Parachure Regiment. It's a bit dated now but there were no heroes and there was no sense of time.

Overall The Hurt Locker was worth watching but it could have been a lot tighter.

DS

Yeh I watched it too. I thought it was watchable but not some amazing award winning masterpiece.

Mind you, I saw avatar a couple of weeks ago, imax 3d, and I only rate it at 8/10. Special effects = awesome, plot = old old old. A Man Called Horse anyone?

Mercenaries...Oh! sorry...contractors...are portrayed well aren't they? :rolleyes:

I guess my point was that I was thinking those mercs were perhaps ex-SAS and their skills should be at least on par with the American soldiers (was the main character supposed to be an ex-Ranger?)

So I guess I'm a little surprised the people giving out the BAFTAs weren' rolling their eyes a little more after seeing the Brits in the film getting taken out so easily by the tango snipers.

I guess my point was that I was thinking those mercs were perhaps ex-SAS and their skills should be at least on par with the American soldiers (was the main character supposed to be an ex-Ranger?)
The mercenaries' background has been left to the audience imagination I suppose. Apart from the 'need' to have Feinnes in the film, what I also don't understand is that after he was killed, his co-characters did nothing. Sure, they took up a defensive stance in the culvert, but their acting days were over. They might as well have not been there and didn't seem bothered about the death of their two team mates either. They were the ones likely to know where the .50 cal rounds would be for the Barrett, yet the EOD lad didn't ask them, nor did they attempt to help find them. Bad script there. It was as though Renner's character was the only one that had switched on and was keeping it altogether.

That part of the film was detached from the rest and IMO was unecessary. Perhaps it would have been better if the EOD lads had come across the mercenaries the way they did, but the storyline should have been a conversation between the two groups, as the wheel was being replaced on the SUV. Renner and the audience would have seen a different side of the conflict and maybe felt some anger or resentment too, as Renner and his mates are ordered to risk their lives in an extreme way on a daily basis, yet here are these well paid civvies risking their lives voluntarily whilst looking for monetary bonuses in the desert ie. $500k per target in their case. The conversation wouldn't have needed to have been as detailed and instead the mercenaries could have behaved in a cagey way and the bigger picture could have been left for the audience to figure out. Having said all that, that could have been a cliched storyline.

Renner's character was a serving Ranger BTW. I've met a few U.S. National Guard lads who've told me they'd worked for Blackwater for a while. One of them told me of a TA SAS bloke who was also out there with him too and I've been told the latter does happen.

DS

So I guess I'm a little surprised the people giving out the BAFTAs weren' rolling their eyes a little more after seeing the Brits in the film getting taken out so easily by the tango snipers.

That scene for me was one of the weakest in the film. I felt like I fell asleep and woke up missing the post contact conversation between the brits and the US guys, I even lost count of who actually went down and how many were left - or were all the brits taken out? The scene was a bit vague and pointless to me.

what I also don't understand is that after he was killed, his co-characters did nothing. Sure, they took up a defensive stance in the culvert, but their acting days were over. They might as well have not been there and didn't seem bothered about the death of their two team mates either.

That part of the film was detached from the rest and IMO was unecessary.

What he said.

Well, having "aquired" and watched it today I have to say the good folks over at the BAFTA judges panel must of been smoking something pretty potent to be able to see a good side to it. <_< Just about non excistant plotline with a mulitude of gaps large enough to drive a truck through, more blatant procedure breaches and stupidity than TOTS aswell as just about no knowledge from the writers/director about proper military procedure. :wall:

The very first scene when they killed off Guy Pearce set it off nicely in my mind....was that a 2 person security cordon I saw????

Plus some creative dumbness from the editors that in parts made me go :huh: Swear I spotted atleast one occation where they have flipped the image ending with Eldridge as a righthanded shooter having his nose to the forward assist.

Edit: Here's 2 of the more blatant imageflips that I could spot, guess the composition wasn't good enough from the original angle.

Link To Picture *.

* [staff Edit: - Please keep pictures to 500 pixels wide] :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnTC02

Just about non excistant plotline with a mulitude of gaps large enough to drive a truck through
Harsh! I say it just lost direction after Guy Pearce's character was murdered. It should have been more about the job they did, the character development and the relationship between the characters.

For me, the films I watched that shined last year were;

District 9

Moon

The Time Traveler's Wife

Benjamin Button was beautifully made, and is worth watching too.

DS

The only think about Moon was that it is too easy to miss that tiny snippet of dialogue at the end that gave the film an ending of sorts. I almost missed that.

Good film though, I'd rate it above Hurt Locker probably.

The Oscars too? That's it! I'm going to write a screenplay based on the GR2 PC debacle and the direction it's successors have gone. It'll be called the 'Sonedecker Ultimatum'. It's about a bloke that well...you can guess the rest.

DS