Optical camo in teaser video

Kimi

That hiccup aside, it is very nice to see Ubi responding to fan concerns quickly. That is most definitely a step in the right direction for community interaction.

Thanks Kimi.

Seconded. Credit where credit's due*

(*=Caveat: We'll still need to see that info eventually)

EDIT: What I still don't get is this:

We are, and remain, loyal to the Ghost Recon brand value of authenticity

(Link)

Really? You mean like EndWar? Look, it's pretty darn obvious that Ubi is, and has been for some time, taking some major creative liberties with "authenticity". So why not just tell it like it is? It's not like the yaysaysers or naysayers are going to change their stance either way, but it might get Ubi some extra brownie points for being straight with the community.

Edited by krise madsen

That hiccup aside, it is very nice to see Ubi responding to fan concerns quickly. That is most definitely a step in the right direction for community interaction.

Thanks Kimi.

It's the same thing I've been saying for days now! Granted I was talking just about the reactive camo specifically and not the whole Future Soldier project.

You people should listen to me next time! :P

Thanks for that Kimi.

I appreciate every little snippet of information you can give us and it's good to see you are doing your best to keep us updated, I realize you are somewhat limited as to how much info you can disclose.

IMO, I don't think all the negativity here is justified, we have only seen a 1 minuet teaser video so from that it's hard to say how the game will turn out.

Iam sorry to be that negative, but as i saw the trailer i thought: "Fakk, its over. No more GR. They discovered the cloak."

In fact i just saw 1 minute with maybe 2 or 3 different "pictures" of the upcoming new title.

As i already feared as i heard about the title name "GR: Predetor", i joked around "Maybe there will be a cloak system like in "Predator" with Arnold Schwarzenegger. :o

I personally like the cloak in crysis, because the story allowes this technology. But Crysis isnt to comapre with GR.

In my opinion GR Titles are the best tactical shooter with real settings. There is no shooter that i knew that provides a "real feeling" of tacical gameplay.

Maybe it will be possible to 2030 to make use of optical camo, but we are just in 2010.

GRAW2 didnt take place in 2020. - So why UBI+RSE make this big jump to 2030?

I dont understand that.

Iam sorry that i cant be more objective. I just can be subjective because i love the last GR Titels and the great work of the modding scene. Maybe i will change my mind if its released, but nowadays i cant imagine to spend any € in this upcoming title, because the jump to 2030 is too hard and the kind of GR and the realistic setting is gone.

Kind Regards

Ares

I don't want to 'mee too' this to death, but, seeing this is like the air going out of a balloon for me. I'll probably check the game out just because Tom's name (well I guess it's not really Tom's name anymore as Ubisoft owns it) is/was :blink: on it; but my enthusiasm to buy 'Clancy Brand' anything is shot; two iterations of the Future Warrior stuff was more then enough for me...

I suppose one thing that could save the day and win my heart is if the mod and server support for the game set a new unprecidented standard (for Ubisoft), but what are the chances of that do you think?

:unsure:

Edited by 101459

Personally I cant stand this tech. Don't think its plausible and think it will drastically ensure unbalanced gameplay without adding a Perks type system to counter the optical camo. Which would further remove the game from the franchises roots.

Sorry to be so negative but I havent seen 1 reason to be hopeful yet that this new game will give us the tactical realism gameplay we desire so much. Fingers crossed that changes soon.

Edited by BS PALADIN

Teaser trailer assessment here.

Nice little writeup and detective work! :thumbsup:

One thing though: The optical camouflage shown in the teaser almost certainly not Retro-Reflective Projection Technology (RPT). This technology requires the viewer, not the camouflaged soldier, to wear a headset (or some other way to mount a projector screen in front of the eyes). So unless the Ghosts can convince all the bad guys to wear makes-your-enemies-invisible-goggles (which I'm sure we can all agree is highly unlikely ;) ), RPT is not it.

RPT is not it.

While I would agree that RPT in it's current state is not likely...in 10 years time this technology or a variant thereof could very well be developed to accomplish what is shown in the video. It was included in the report to show the public that technology is being pursued to provide a cloaking capability.

As far as what we know today in 2010...there is plenty of information releasable to the public that indicates the military is pursuing this technology now; that high ranking military personnel believe this technology will be on the battlefield in the next couple of years; and that there are a few concepts and "working models" that show the technology is on the brink of providing this capability.

The author of the report stands behind the assessment that the cloaks and the headgear worn by the soldiers are likely components of the cloaking device.

While the authenticity of the below video cannot be confirmed and the fact that it appears to be airing on a Middle Eastern broadcast is somewhat of a concern, it is at the very least...interesting.

Cloaked Soldier in Iraq

I enjoyed your thorough report of the video Scott Mitchell. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

I guess I missed out on Captain Mitchell's promotion.

Rocky Posted Today, 02:39 PM

Nice report Commander, thanks!

CR6 Posted Today, 07:52 PM

Also thanks for the detailed write up Commander Mitchell!

While I would agree that RPT in it's current state is not likely...in 10 years time this technology or a variant thereof could very well be developed to accomplish what is shown in the video. It was included in the report to show the public that technology is being pursued to provide a cloaking capability.

As far as what we know today in 2010...there is plenty of information releasable to the public that indicates the military is pursuing this technology now; that high ranking military personnel believe this technology will be on the battlefield in the next couple of years; and that there are a few concepts and "working models" that show the technology is on the brink of providing this capability.

The author of the report stands behind the assessment that the cloaks and the headgear worn by the soldiers are likely components of the cloaking device.

I'm sorry, but RPT just doesn't work that way. While it has many interesting applications, it simply cannot function as a camouflage system.

Unless of course we're not talking about reality but the game itself, in which case any fictional/pseudo-scientific explanation is as good as any other, obviously.

While the authenticity of the below video cannot be confirmed and the fact that it appears to be airing on a Middle Eastern broadcast is somewhat of a concern, it is at the very least...interesting.

Cloaked Soldier in Iraq

:lolup:

Just.... no.