Cloak and HULC - Likely [Real world] kit by 2020?

Rocky

The Futurism of GR  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically no one will believe until they see it :)

Well seeing as the date time scale in this thread is 2020 ... why not? Infancy now and 10 years difference and the rate we are producing new tech its not a massive stretch of imagination. You could say "will it be as good and in release state at that time as depicted" that's another point.

• 1 month later...

the cloak isnt really a cloak, from what i heard its micro cameras that record the environment and project it on to the body, the HULC hting is in testing soon so i can imagine with some tuouch ups, it'll be ready within 10 years as for the cloak they could get VERY close to breaking point with it in those years

• 4 months later...

Ok, here we ago.

About the cloaking. Omg, it's obviously can't be build within a decade (maybe one thousand years in the future a prototype will be out).

Researchers over the world had already created a matter that microwaves can pass throught, but in small scale.

If we think some, the cloak will be there AND YOUR BODY TOO! The enemy woudn't see the cloaking device, HE WOULD SEE YOU NAKED HOLDING A RIFLE!

Think about it. Maybe if some kind of replicating image clothes could be build, and cover all the soldier's body and equipment, replicating the surrounding, of course it would look like he's invisible, but HOW WOULD HE SHOOT AND LOOK AROUND WITH A LCD ALL OVER HIS BODY? If it was semi-translucent, he would be able to see throught it, but not shoot, as it would destroy the device.

Now about the HULC. There's already some prototype out, but they are huge and slow, created for medical reasons only.

When the military gets involved, the creative process will be boosted (give them money and the minds start thinking).

Now, about the improvements it will reach in ten years and the possibility of being deployed in combat, I think no way.

I went to the US governmental agencies website where UBI got these ideas or at least some of them. Been awhile so I don't remember the address but when the developers read all the gizmos they were working on, I think it went to their heads. I think they got a little too fixated about future technology.

yeah, maybe it did, but i think the cloak, in a GR sense may have a time limit as to how long you can have it on for, i doubt you would be able to sail through a whole level with you cloak on somehow.

but in a real world sense, why not just have adaptive camoflauge, the soldiers head cam captures an image of the surrounding environment and the camo changes accordingly

but in a real world sense, why not just have adaptive camoflauge, the soldiers head cam captures an image of the surrounding environment and the camo changes accordingly

It's a bit more complex than that. What if the nearest objects are a green bush and a red brick house?

true, very true. but doesnt all camoflauge have it's flaws? i mean thats just an idea and i know it can be more complex than that, but isnt cloak tech the same? it coul malfunction while a soldier is right in front of an enemy and the enemy could kill him easily.

lets face facts nothing is perfect certainly not camoflauge.

In the real world, the goal of any of these camo systems is to keep you unnoticed until you're close enough to engage the enemy, or just bypass them completely. That doesn't mean you need to be within 3 feet of them. Invisibility is just one part of the problem - you also have to be completely silent and not disturb anything around you. And you'd better have solid ground to walk on so you don't create foot impressions. Razor wire, loose dirt, sand, water, mud, brush, fences, and other simple barricades are also still a problem, assuming the enemy has half a brain and knows what to look/listen for. Even assuming the technology was possible, the way the camo is used in the game demo is just not based on reality.

The projector-based systems are not suitable for military use. They require you to project the surroundings onto a light-colored, reflective material. No soldier is going to want to wear white, reflective gear, and projectors use light so you'd basically be shining a spotlight on them. The same goes for LED-based systems. The last thing a soldier wants to be is "light emitting".

Metamaterials are interesting, but they rely on being specific shapes to direct light around an object - the entry and exit point for light have to be connected and fixed. A sphere or dome would work, so I guess you could theoretically make a big hamster ball for soldiers to walk around in. More likely these will be used on buildings and large vehicles well before they're available for individuals.

A much more realistic option would be color-changing materials. Materials already exist that change color in different temperatures, UV light, or when an electrical current is applied. It wouldn't be a big leap to make camo that could change from light to dark, or even between tan/brown/green/grey/black/etc as needed. If the tech is good enough, you could even do it in realtime. I think color-shifting camo is much more likely to be a reality than "true" invisibility in the timeframe that GRFS is going for.