Ghost Recon.net Forums

Cloak and HULC - Likely [Real world] kit by 2020?

The Futurism of GR  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

after doing a bit of googling im starting to like this cloaking idea as long as its plausible which it appears to be - will promote recon as opposed to run n gun.

the HULC sounds ok too - shouldnt affect gameplay too much - just the ability to carry more weapons or armor i guess - again if its real and if Lockheed is building it, it will become a reality at some point i would expect, then bring it on.

as long as its tactical and realistic and recon then lets do it.

This is what Ubi are obviously keen to point out, it is realistic because it is in develpment. It's not GR in a 2010 setting, this is in the future.

The message hasn't quite got across looking at the above poll though because apart from the 4 votes from Ubisoft most people have voted it is unrealustic to expect this tech any time soon.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The message hasn't quite got across looking at the above poll though because apart from the 4 votes from Ubisoft most people have voted it is unrealustic to expect this tech any time soon.

Only because it is unrealistic to expect this tech to be used in the field anytime soon (next 10-15 years).

after doing a bit of googling im starting to like this cloaking idea as long as its plausible which it appears to be

Thewhatnow? Everything I've googled indicates that while cloaking is theroretically possible, a working system within 20 years is extremely unlikely.

the HULC sounds ok too - shouldnt affect gameplay too much - just the ability to carry more weapons or armor i guess - again if its real and if Lockheed is building it, it will become a reality at some point i would expect, then bring it on.

I'm not entirely sure how much of an impact it could or should have, but it's certainly plausible.

as long as its tactical and realistic and recon then lets do it.

Indeed. That is, I wouldn't presume to opine on the console version. Whatever makes the console gamers happy is fine by me. :)

This is what Ubi are obviously keen to point out, it is realistic because it is in develpment. It's not GR in a 2010 setting, this is in the future.

What we've seen until now is a personal ghille suit/blanket that can turn the wearer invisible. Add to that the GRFS logo: Partially invisible, with a Predator-style blue sparkle. This all supports the notion of a switch-on/switch-off cloaking system.

This is what Ubisoft has pointed out so far:

We are, and remain, loyal to the Ghost Recon brand value of authenticity. In general Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is based on the very real Future Soldier Initiative 2030...

Optical camo, like other technologies in Future Solider, is a near-future reality...

But, in the spirit of fairness, Ubisoft should of course get the benefit of doubt and a chance make their case.

Oh Lucy Kimi, you got some splainin to do. :D

I saw the HULC video and is an interesting concept but you don't need one in a GR recon game since the maps are no more than 800x800 or less unless RSE have a new sanbox engine like Arma in the works, also with [GR] your chrs are always deployed close to the objective or is assumed that you did the leg part already skipping the boring part of walking around for 20 min with no action.

I ain't going to coment on the invisible blanket because you know my position on that one

Me, I'm still holding out for that Tactical Nuclear-tipped recoiless rifle that was once in development to make it into this -or any other- series.
Perhaps they should start spamming that message thoughout the Social Networking Services...if you keep repeating a falsehood long enough, some will eventually buy into it.

I am however, feeling alot better about my fellow forum members after that^ vote revelation. ;)

____

I ain't going to coment on the invisible blanket because you know my position on that one
So many unanswered questions... such as just how long is the extension cord for the Electric Blanket?

im starting to like this cloaking idea as long as its plausible which it appears to be - will promote recon as opposed to run n gun.

just the ability to carry more weapons or armor i guess

Yep, just like in Crysis. :yes:

And Mass Effect 2, Infiltrator class. But, in ME2, it also grants +75% sniper rifle damage and brief slomo while active, if you choose the correct version of the ability at skill level 4. This is awesome, when combined with the unique Widowmaker anti-material sniper rifle that you can acquire at a certain point in the game (you get a choice of that unique sniper rifle or shotgun training or assault rifle training - allowing you to use those weapons - but you can only choose one of the three options. The Soldier is the only other class, apart from the renegade Geth team-mate named 'Legion', who can use the Widowmaker (at that point in the game the Soldier gets to choose one of a choice of three unique weapons, one of which being a unique/extremely rare machinegun that no other character/class can use.) Those of you with ME2, take 'Legion' with you when you go to do Tali'Zorah's loyalty mission, see what happens. :)

Edited by WytchDokta
  • 2 weeks later...

I really doubt either are going to be in military use in the next decade.

Active Camo of The Predator kind is really limited by processing power. Unless quantum processing suddenly becomes a viable prospect you're not going to see that.

The HULC is interesting but there's a difference between an interesting technology demonstrator and something being issued to the troops.

Then there's the question of whether it's something a recon unit would use.

You also have to ask what the HULC ingame would mean :D

I mean it'd probably just mean your guy could carry armour and weapons to bring him up to the level of the guy in GRAW2 :D

• 2 weeks later...

According to Ubi producer Adrian Lacey (in the Official Playstation Article on GRFS), the cloaking suit/blanket has apparently existed for five years, and consist of lots of tiny cameras recording what's on the "other side" of the wearer and projecting it onto the suit.

I wonder if someone would be so kind as to direct me to any reliable source of information on this? If it's been around for five years, surely there must be some valid info on it?

I've been asking that same question for a month now over in the Ubisoft forums, but the only response I've gotten so far (over a week ago) is "we're working on it". A few people have posted links to Youtube videos and a couple of web sites, but nothing so far even comes close to what they're talking about in the article.

And really, projection? That means that you have to have a projector. Projectors project LIGHT. And for it to show colors, you have to project onto a white or reflective surface. Do the Ghosts really want to be running around in white suits shining a projector light onto themselves? And how exactly do you project BLACK onto something? There's a reason that movie theaters are dark. And if the background behind you is dark, but to your right it's lighter, what color do you make your uniform? The whole idea is ridiculous.

It comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of how this technology really works. It's meant for situations where you want somebody to be able to see through a fixed object. One example of something that we might actually see someday would be a camera mounted on your car that would project an image of what is in your blind spot onto the area of the car that normally blocks your vision. So when you look over your shoulder, it would look to you like you're seeing through the door pillars and you'd have a better idea of what's next to you when you're driving. Good stuff. But it only works from one specific angle, and it's not even useful in theory for making soldiers invisible.

I'm going to give Ubi the benefit of doubt and assume they mean the cloak/blanket acts like a monitor in and of itself and not base the in-game cloak on that "japanese see-thru raincoat" system (which would be too silly to contemplate).

I would still like (well, insist is such an ugly word) to see some credible info on this five-year-old cloaking system that Adrian Lacey mentions.

"People say it (stealth cloak) doesn't exist. It's existed for about 5 years, we were looking at it for previous Recons."

Adrian Lacey, producer. PSM

He then goes on to explain how it works via a series of cameras filming what is around the cloak.

^

Funny, I was under the assumption that smoke and mirrors were involved. ;)

____

Highly doubtful for a proof of concept -or any further defense- of any of this gear from Ubi...they have made their case, and chosen their target demographic.

Edited by NoQuarter
  • 2 weeks later...

"People say it (stealth cloak) doesn't exist. It's existed for about 5 years, we were looking at it for previous Recons."

Adrian Lacey, producer. PSM

He then goes on to explain how it works via a series of cameras filming what is around the cloak.

Real cloaking devices are still only in their infancy.

Yes cloaking devices do exist, they however can only cloak objects on a 2Dimensional plane and the objects are very small.

If a person were to change their perspective the object would be visible.

Just recently however a German science team was able to successfully "cloak" an object in 3D for the first time. It does not use cameras filming what is around the cloak, it bends light or misdirects it through the use of photonic crystals.

The issue here is that it only "cloaks" in certain wavelenghts in the infared spectrum. Cloaking an entire human being is still a very very very long way off.

Edited by Ballistic

Looks like these things are already in action in another title.

Genesis AD

Take on the role of an elite super soldier, specializing in one of three distinct classes. Use cloaking technology to disappear from enemy scopes, or defy gravity by boosting through the air during combat.

It's questionable. Reactive camo is more being tested for application on vehicles at the moment. The problem with it is that thermal sees right through it. Most top tier Armies and PMCs use thermal sights, so the tech isn't exactly a 1st priority.

The other thing that I stated in a previous post is that there are many examples of concept/prototype/test military gear that was in the ghost recon games that never made it into real world combat application such as the OICW, XM8 and the Land Warrior system ( It was tested but never really used).

There is a good chance that this tech will either never come to fruition or just the R&D alone on it will lead to something else.

Hell the 20mm laser range designated grenades in ghost recon 2 were still in development a few years ago and may even still be, but they were having issues with pre mature detonation. That project may or may not be scrapped as well by now.

I would say that the tech won't ever actually come into use, especially with the rate at which thermal optics are evolving.

For cloaking, I agree, with thermal sights becoming the size of an ACOG and so on, cloaking would only be useful for use in operations such as Afghanistan where they don't have the technology easily available in wide use to see through cloak. But cloaking a person is I would give about 100 years away still yet due to power requirements, frequency levels and several other factors needing development. Also Thermal Condition was being test about 4 years ago, but was not able to blend a soldier with an environment which was bending environmental colors to reflect on a soldier properly.

For the OICW and XM8, I agree it was even in the first Ghost Recon so spices the game up just a little dont hurt, just not to much with so many prototypes thats questionable which will be issued.

Actually the Land Warrior System did become operational and there are several Land Warrior units in Iraq and Afghanistan right now, what you meant to say was the Future Force Warrior program as shown in GRAW.

The XM25(grenade launcher of the OICW) is still being developed and improved along with the 20mm and 25mm grenades and is expecting to see service as long its current rate of progress proves to be worth it. but the XM8(assault rifle of the OICW) was scrapped in 2005 and may not ever see use as new requirement were made for caseless ammo and polymer cased ammo weapons are demanded now. polymer cased has been used with the M249 SAW already and shown much more reliability just in prototype stages.

Now if they were to put Laser's, Rail gun's, and Gauss gun's mounted on Humvee's and other vehicle's, I would not have any argue there as Laser's have already completed as far as its going to due as its technology came to late but is being used to shoot down missile's and such as on that USAF plane(forgot the model) and Rail and Gauss gun's are at usable technology as cannon's now that they could replace TOW launchers easy.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Microwave guns and its research and development is achieving a lot and from the MSNBC article I read a couple years ago, it could see use in Iraq by 2012 for riot control. Doubt that though seeing that everyone's supposed to be "leaving".

Edited by AnthonyLunkwitz

^

For Gods sake Cpl, don't give them any more ideas. ;)

Indeed. Remember when the news of the Predator trademark came out and we all joked about invisibility cloaks and other crazy stuff. I bet y'all feeling sorry about that now. I sure as heck am! :o

Indeed. Remember when the news of the Predator trademark came out and we all joked about invisibility cloaks and other crazy stuff. I bet y'all feeling sorry about that now. I sure as heck am! :o

You mean like when I posted on the news page about rumours of invisibility cloaks...

take it with a pinch of salt

:wall: