Ubi PC Titles To Require Online Authentication

The fact that Ubi would have server problems is evident to anyone who reads through the Ubi forums. It was said shortly after this new DRM was announced that Ubi would have server problems and now, it is rearing it's ugly head that Ubi was ill prepared for using such a system and within days of release of not one but 2 games. What will happen when all of Ubi's upcoming games use OSP? How many gamers will not be able to play said games due to server problems?

As been said, Ubi did not think this out very well. Personally, it would have been better to spend all the OSP development money and along with the cost of the servers on actual game development as I am reading reports of bugs in the games, some that have been around for quite some time, it is R6V all over again.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are saying it was due to a "DoS attack" and "it only affected 5% of players" <_<

Apologies to anyone who couldn’t play ACII or SH5 yesterday. Servers were attacked which limited service from 2:30pm to 9pm Paris time

95% of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors

seems rather a large and vocal "small" group

As somebody posted on the eurogamer site, how did they come up with a figure of 95%? How can they know how many people couldnt connect?

Even if only 100,000 people were trying to play I wouldnt call 5% of that a "small group", they cocked it up with the RVS servers and it looks like history is repeating itself.

They are saying it was due to a "DoS attack" and "it only affected 5% of players" <_<

Interesting. DoS attacks is something they perhaps didn't consider at all. Could hackers also do something to corrupt our save game data? I wonder how much resources Ubi will put into protecting their servers from malicious attacks.

I wonder why you don't hear about this sort of thing happening to WoW servers etc.

Just bought AC2 PC.

Let us know how the game installs from start to finish if you don't mind mate. Let us know what ubisoft master server is like, and could you give us a quick insight to what game engine they use, and are the graphics rubbish, mediocre, bland. I'm still thinking about buying splinter cell conviction for the pc but there is no information i can find about the engine, the graphics etc. I have a small games cash flow left so i don't want to waste money on a poor pc version of sc conviction, it would make me really angry if the game is rubbish and have to be online constant to play sp.

Only seen videos screenshots of the console version of sc conviction and it looks bland. I presume ac2 is using the same engine?.

Thanks.

Well, the game is great, the DRM worked perfectly fine here (till now hehe).

I bought the Steam version, it installs as any other game, auto updates etc...

Then a steam msg box shows your cd-key, you can copy it and paste in the UBI login box (its required just once) plus your UBI login and password - next time you play nothing of this is required, its all auto.

The engine is the same of AC1, GFX is good, maybe a bit better than the first.

7d2b958d24099c979a9f6f8b034ca45e4g.jpg

The attack affected only those trying to login

:blink: oh well, that's ok then <_<

LOL! Perhaps Thales can tell us is there a difference between logging in and just playing the game? Why would people want to login? Is it just to register the game for the first time or for playing MP?

I thought the AC series was using the Unreal Engine (which Ubi used for Splinter Cell, R6 Vegas) but Googling around it appears it is a proprietary engine "Anvil" developed by Ubi and also used in the last PoP game.

...all is ok then,
By this you mean by those resigned to accepting these new conditions as just an additional cost of doing business with Ubi?

____

Just what will they think up next...and just how much will you put up with?

By this you mean by those resigned to accepting these new conditions as just an additional cost of doing business with Ubi?

____

Just what will they think up next...and just how much will you put up with?

You pay for a license to play the game under some specific conditions, if you dont agree with those conditions (DRM included), simply dont buy it. :thumbsup:

I'm going to give UBI some credit because today I saw the Silent Hunter retail box @ Best Buy and it does says on the front cover that you need constant internet connection to play the game, another game that I saw with the same front cover disclamer is Napoleon Total War.

thales your experience with your games doesn't equal the experience of anybody else in the planet mind you but also you are right on what you said (Don't like'it, Don't buy'it) is that simple.

I don't think this type of DRM is going away any time soon UBI plans is to provide STEAM experience on their own and they already invested $$ on uplay just like IW with their iwnet

I wonder if people would be more willing to buy into a more locked down hardware system (essentially a console) in order to prevent this constant requirement for Internet access. It doesn't seem like DRM is being pushed at all on the consoles. Maybe the next console versions will be DLC only?

The numbers of the online petition grow daily and is now over 8000 signatures, even if you take the price of SH5 at $50 (not counting it being more at 50Euro) that is sales of at least $400,000, a good chunk of money but remember, AC2 sells for $60. Now I know 8000 is not really a large number nor is $400,000 much in sales, but that is just one place and should be noted that it can be across several game. Settler's 7 is due for release soon apparently and it too will use OSP.

Now I know that there are those who say one thing but do another, so the total impact could be not as large as what I figured or larger as others posting elsewhere that they will not be buying said games is very numerous too.

One thing that is very conspicuous is that gamers have asked for an official reply from Ubi, yet the only replies have been from forum moderators. Potential customers and customers alike are wanting someone from Ubi management to make a statement instead of responses via 3rd parties such as forum managers or unnamed spokespersons to gaming websites.

Ubisoft will "compensate" people who've had problems connecting to their DRM servers

Source

Now if someone was unable to login, how are they to know who they were?

Probably more game content.

Dear ###########

Thank you for your recent purchase of Assassin's Creed 2. We hope you are enjoying the game!

Recently, our servers were temporarily unavailable to a portion of players, meaning they were unable to play the game. Our goal is to offer you a seamless experience with your game and we sincerely apologise if you have encountered difficulties as a result of the server issue.

We will be offering you additional game rewards to show our thanks for your patience and understanding. We will contact you soon with full details. In the meantime, please be assured that our teams are working around the clock to ensure that you continue to enjoy your game experience with Assassin's Creed 2.

Thank you,

The Ubisoft Team

Affected people should check there email addres is correct with UBI login.

I was in Best Buy today and looked at both SH5 (2 copies on the shelf) and AC2 (about 5 copies on the shelf) and both have the disclaimer on the box. I will post the pics of the SH5 box shortly.

WK what a coincidence I saw the same exact ammount of copies at BB in my location (5 AC2 and 2 SH5)... maybe retailers are aware of this type of DRM and are not ordering in large quantities

I was in a different Best Buy this evening and looked and there were 4 copies of SH5 and 4 copies of AC2 on the shelf. I then looked at FSX and there were an 5 copies for a 3 year old game along with some payware add-ons for it (same with the one I was at yesterday and FSX is still selling).