Ghost Recon.net Forums

How long could you go without...

I watched an interesting documentary the other day about a group of students who went a few weeks without computers or technology. It was pretty amazing how much they are integrated into our society now. They had a hard time doing the homework, communicating with people, registering for classes, and so on. It's interesting because the computer as a tool is fairly empowering. The access to information (especially the Internet) means that it's only a few keystrokes away. Writing a paper became a major deal for these students because they had to carefully read the books and then handwrite notes. Then they would take the notes and use a typewriter to type them up. It was kinda funny at first because they couldn't figure out how it worked (I probably wouldn't be able to either ;) ). They did say that they thought they understood the material they were studying more because they had to read the material more closely and since they were "bored" a lot they would do more homework and studying. On the downside, all of this was really slow and there were some things since they had gone "paperless" were unavailable to them. However, without a computer they weren't distracted by youtube, blogs, and other random stuff on the Internet.

So what do you think? Could you go a few weeks without the computer or other technologies? What other technological advancements would be hard to give up?

Just went a week on vacation with out a computer. Had to take a phone with me due to work but only used it a couple of times. However due to the rain watched a lot of TV.

oh I could do well, during the sumemr holiday camping I read books and play games with the kids (boardgames some of you might remember how they look....lol) but for work my PC is neccesary, though I write a lot of hand notes....

My mobile phone is off during holidays, but for traveling I use my dumb dumb as we call the navigator.... would be harder to do without that nowadays.....(no more arguements over getting lost in the car....)

I always go without a PC when on holiday although I do need to have a mobile phone with me because of the children. I've never had any issues being offline during a holiday, in fact I enjoy the break but if it was outside a holiday I would struggle big time.

Will be interesting on this years family holiday, we've not had one for a few years and since our last one I've got facebook on my mobile, I suspect I'll still find myself on there during the week

I watched an interesting documentary the other day about a group of students who went a few weeks without computers or technology. It was pretty amazing how much they are integrated into our society now.

Just LOL at that bit alone. :rofl:

Me, I'm an addict, no doubt about it. Say GR.net goes offline because of server issues as it tends to do once or twice a year, I go absolutely unapproachable. Nobody need bother trying to speak to me because I'll be grumpy as hell.

If the whole INTERNET was to be inaccessible, then I might as well sign into rehab.

And getting a phone that does e-mail so seamlessly with my Google account has only made things worse. I cannot even walk the 30 metres to the office photocopier without flipping my phone and and checking for new mail.

No bones about it, I'd be a shivering wreck without a connection.

What other technological advancements would be hard to give up?
The coffee maker would be right up there.

____

Was this a dedicated study or just a collection of wayward students burdened with mean, overbearing, disciplining parents who fixed their little red wagons and pulled their collective plugs?

Edited by NoQuarter
Me, I'm an addict, no doubt about it. Say GR.net goes offline because of server issues as it tends to do once or twice a year, I go absolutely unapproachable. Nobody need bother trying to speak to me because I'll be grumpy as hell.

If the whole INTERNET was to be inaccessible, then I might as well sign into rehab.

And getting a phone that does e-mail so seamlessly with my Google account has only made things worse. I cannot even walk the 30 metres to the office photocopier without flipping my phone and and checking for new mail.

No bones about it, I'd be a shivering wreck without a connection.

I just can't imagine that, Rocky. You're one of the nicest, most even-keeled people I know. It's so hard to imagine you grumpy. Me, I can't go without my computer and phone; I need them both for work. If I didn't though, it would be interesting to see what a week with no computer or phone would be like.

its interesting you say that Rocky, if I decide I'm on holiday and not connecting Im fine, sure I get moments of 'oh I'll just check' before I remember I'm offline but for the most part I enjoy the break.

But if I'm not on holiday, if I'm not offline through choice and it goes off, I'm a pain in the ######, rebooting every few mins, double checking if its back etc while bitching constantly lol

Have to say I'm lucky with my connection *touches wood* but even then on the rare occasion it goes down I'm not happy lol