questions for map-making

San

Hello,

I have got a couple of questions about map-making :

- Is it possible to create a map in 3dsmax, with landscape-buildings-static props (cars-trees-boxes etc.),

all textured (using custom textures), export it to the graw2 editor and create the necessary zones needed for sp/mp-gametypes/missions, then lit the map using a lighting-tool?

- What version of 3dsmax do I need ?

- What do I need to do in max before exporting it to editor? Do I need to tag sound-properties in max (like in GR1) ?

- For a MP-map which has an 200m2 playing-area what would be an average total poly-count ? What sizes should I use for textures (like 512x512 for small things, and 1024x1024 for big things)

- Is there a 3dsm scale model of a graw2 soldier, so I can use him in my map to see if everything is right proportioned ? (like in GR1 you had Will Jacobs)

- Can you create enviroments in editor or in XML-files for creating rain or snow for my map? I haven't seen rain in original graw2 maps (probably because it's Mexico)

I have a load more questions, but I figured these where the most important, before even attempting to create a map

This is an image of the map I want to create, it's a beginners-lesson for me, but also my dream (to play MP in my home-town !)

graw2_map_200m2_small.jpg

It will take me very long to create the map, and maybe by then GR4 is out, no problem, I will then try to put it in there...

Thanks in advance

I'm no seasoned GRAW Map designer like some of the other masters out here. However, I may be able to answer some of your questions.

First, check out the GRAW1 tutorial for how to make a map here -> http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=353 This is where I started when converting props over as well as creating a couple of buildings. I would recommending looking at some of the landscapes that SgNly Papo, Tanatos.B52, Galor, Whiskey and others have done as a model for you to follow.

- Is it possible to create a map in 3dsmax, with landscape-buildings-static props (cars-trees-boxes etc.),

all textured (using custom textures), export it to the graw2 editor and create the necessary zones needed for sp/mp-gametypes/missions, then lit the map using a lighting-tool?

Yes it is, but I believe that it would be very complex. You can look at some of the XMLs for the GRAW2 buildings where they have mixed some of the dynamic props\effects with the buildings.

- What version of 3dsmax do I need ?

ver 7 or ver 8. If you have version 7, then use the MAX .Deisel exporter that comes with GRAW1. If you have Version 8, then use the MAX .Deisel exporter that comes with GRAW2.

- What do I need to do in max before exporting it to editor? Do I need to tag sound-properties in max (like in GR1) ?

- For a MP-map which has an 200m2 playing-area what would be an average total poly-count ? What sizes should I use for textures (like 512x512 for small things, and 1024x1024 for big things)

- Is there a 3dsm scale model of a graw2 soldier, so I can use him in my map to see if everything is right proportioned ? (like in GR1 you had Will Jacobs)

- The tutorial mentions the steps that you need to do to export your prop. I believe that the sound tags are not used and you will want to add Ambient Dummies (Dummy object) to add lighting to your buildings.

- Not sure what the total poly count would be. You obviously want to make it as small as possible and use diffuse maps to overlay the props. Depending on the type of building or prop will depend upon the type of collision. Like a railing that may have visible space between bars will need a "mesh mopp" collision type, which takes more resources as it uses the "mesh" to calculate where bullets, explosions, etc. will collide. If you have a very smooth, rounded surface that has quite a few polys, adding a mesh_mopp may cause the system to crash when it collides with explosions as there are too many collisions to calculate. So with these types of props, you will want to add a "box" collision type... So really, you will want to try and keep your poly count down to as low as possible. This may mean breaking out your props as separate MAX files.

But I would still ask an expert.

- I don't have a scale. However, the tutorial shows you what units that you need and I just created a box that was 182.88 cm (6 ft ) tall to help with my creation as this is how tall I am.

- Can you create enviroments in editor or in XML-files for creating rain or snow for my map? I haven't seen rain in original graw2 maps (probably because it's Mexico)

I've messed around with the environment.xml (located in the mission levels directory) for my maps and the best I can come up with is fog.

This is an image of the map I want to create, it's a beginners-lesson for me, but also my dream (to play MP in my home-town !)

That would be sooo sweet. However, start off one prop at a time and please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks,

Bogie

Thanks Bogie, for your answers (they've helped!)

I will start with reading the tutorials and checking other people's work.

I was thinking of taking a step by step approach:

1)make a simple mission on graw2 map, learn the editor and XML-files-structure

2)make a simple static prop (building) in max, import it in graw2 map, see how it looks ingame

3)at last start creating my map.

When I'm ready for more questions, I will let you know !

I've created some buildings and street-objects for GR1 years ago,

I will need to find them (somewhere on DVD) and maybe I can use them again for practise.

Thanks again

If I may suggest, the GRAW2 Wiki at PB Works is exceptional to really understanding the foundation of the GRAW2 editor and mission modding. Add a few extra props or buildings to understand the XML layout. Just take a pre-existing map and create a mini mission. The wikki is http://graw2.pbworks.com My first mission took about 22 hours to complete and be released for beta prior to having any experience at all (except for GR1). So with your knowledge, I would expect you would cut that time in half :thumbsup: