Map object types and 3ds Max 6+ problems.

BS PALADIN

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 3d assets (can you explain what you are trying to do in a little more detail)

As to the 3dsmax version: RSE created a plug-in to allow 3dsmax to export maps, models and characters to their own proprietary format. after version 5.1 these plug-ins were no longer compatible with the host program and the plug-in was not updated for later 3dsm versions. I'm afraid that version 6 will not export to any of the RSE Filetypes

Thanks for the info. When I say 3D assets I mean vehicles, buildings, characters etc. Can you use .obj format.

Im not very knowledgable about 3D modelling but I have a friend who is good at making 3D models for artistic projects, but not game design. And she said her models are in .obj format.

GR is a very simple game and there aren't many objects that can be added. However, they must all be exported (via the plug-in) into a RSE Filetype:

Maps (the game environment) are .map

Characters are .chr

Weapons are .qob

fixed weapons are .pob

vehicles are .pob

Some modders have exported placeable objects (crates/ barrels/ sandbag emplacements etc) as vehicles to allow them to be placed into maps by using scripts. Once again these are .pob

These must all be exported via the plug-in from 3dsmax version 3,4 or 5 (sorry)

The .map file is itself made up of several different types of objects which are exported into a single file. Besides what I would call the "raw geometry" (those polygons that are static), there are various map objects like trees, windows and doors, groups which become "rooms" and portals that handle movement between them, sherman level boxes and polys which determine the "level" of a given floor poly, and then a number of specialized tags which can be applied to the raw geometry to handle different effects (like collision parameters, floor polys, sound tags, visibility, etc.).