Your top 5 iPhone Apps

Cpl Ledanek

k, to those with the iPhone/Touch ( I has Touch for Early Christmas :santa: )

share your Top 5 Favorite Apps and Top Favorite Accessory for it

[staff Edit: Posts split into a new thread - The following posts cover a different subject]

Edited by JohnTC02

Top 5 Apps?

I've only got a few I use(d) frequently on mine..

1. My Account: AT&T

2. Facebook

3. Pixster/Vidster

4. My Bank's iPhone App (instant access to my bank account)

5. iGun :)

I don't have many and don't use many so I'm sure I'll find more and that will change once I'm home and can play around some more.

Top accessories:

1. Best Buy's Black Tie Protection Plan - a MUST for any iPhone owner.

2. My black plastic case - I forget what brand, but it's like a hard rubber with some grip on it but still keeps a slim profile.

3. Screen Protector (mine's all tore to hell since I brought it to Iraq, I'll have it replaced when I get home).

4. My armband for at the gym or for hands free use.

5. My bluetooth headset: Rocketfish RF-MAB2

My current Top 5 Apps in no order: (yeh I cheated)

1. Tools : Dropbox | SnapTell | Yelp | Stanza | Google | TuneWiki

2. Social Networking : Facebook | Tweetdeck |

3. Other Stuff : Flixster | EasyPlay | Ebay | Photospeak | PocketUniverse | TVCatchup

4. Productivity : Awesome Note | Evernote | To Do |

5. Games : Chess with Friends | Steel Sky | Pinball (TheDeep/Wildwest/Jungle Style) | Pipe Mania | Zen Bound

6. News : ITN News | Times Mobile | Telegraph | PopURLs | Digg

And a runner up is Knocking, because I have installed this "see through your contacts iphone camera" app, but have no contacts to try it with yet LOL. I think Ruin would be a cool one for that :ph34r:

I don't have that many on the phone at the moment but my top five apps are:

1. Google Earth

2. AppGmail

3. PayPal

4. Skype

5. RadarFree (I Don't use it, honest! :whistle: )

And a couple of games:

1. Chess Free

2. Virtual Pool.

I have some that I just downloaded to see what they are like but they have no real use.

1. Compass

2. Handy Level

3. Sound Level

4. Speedo Free (surprisingly accurate)

And a runner up is Knocking, because I have installed this "see through your contacts iphone camera" app, but have no contacts to try it with yet LOL. I think Ruin would be a cool one for that :ph34r:

I'll test this out with my lady friend as soon as I get home. If It works like it's supposed to we'll see if we can cross oceans with it. :D I know it's something that would appeal to her inner nerd too, haha. It's like webcam on cellphones!

Some other good ones (I was trying to keep it at 5 :P )

Radarfree is pretty awesome, Pandora, Google Maps (I use this like a GPS and have no need for a regular GPS now :) ), Weather (yes, it's stock, but I wear it out), Units (handy units converter), Mixologist (oh yeah :) ), and Worms!

• 4 weeks later...

I've updated my post above with three new games - Pinball. They are amazing, just like the old pinball game on the Amiga. Love the graphics sound and gameplay, awesome awesome awesome. TheDeep is free for Christmas, give it a try!

@Ruin, did you get Knocking installed, I'm all giddy about a video link with you over there!

Well, I've just been using the "bare bones" iPhone without any apps (which worked fine as all I needed was to check my e-mail, weather and stocks) mainly because I was waiting for my new credit card with a lower credit limit to use for iTunes and other online transactions. So over Xmas I finally got around to upgrading iTunes and my iPhone firmware and registering at the app store ...

So here are the apps that were of interest:

1. Whatsapp ($.99) - Basically a good IM for your iPhone - I still haven't installed it but my friends and relatives got it when it was free and it automatically scans your contacts lists and "pushes" messages to you (beeps even when your iPhone is sleeping)

2. Cooking Mama Lite - Mainly for the kids, can't go wrong with it free :P

3. Need for Speed Shift (was on sale $7.99 after Xmas) - Wow! Great looking game and really shows off the 3D capability of the iPhone. Easy to pick up and play and even has MP support.

Wow that's an expensive for an app! A similar quality of game can be had with skies of glory, I can't recall if I got that for free or a few pence, but the graphics really blew me away for an iPhone game and the gameplay is really good!

Also CR6 you simply must get the new Engadget app, I think it just became my fave app, and I have 10 pages of them now lol.

Thanks for the apps Rocky.

Just downloaded Engadet and had a quick look around, WOW there's a huge amount of content on there.

Also got Skies of Glory, it is free but if you want extra content like more planes or mission packs then you have to pay for them.

I haven't tried the game as yet but looking forward to giving it a "Fly" later.

Wow that's an expensive for an app! A similar quality of game can be had with skies of glory, I can't recall if I got that for free or a few pence, but the graphics really blew me away for an iPhone game and the gameplay is really good!

Also CR6 you simply must get the new Engadget app, I think it just became my fave app, and I have 10 pages of them now lol.

Yeah, it is true NFS is a little expensive compared to other apps, but I figured it costs the same as one meal at McDonald's these days so I thought I'd give it a spin and pack my lunch for one day instead of getting my Angus burger LOL.

I will have to check out your other suggestions!

this stuff is addicting:

WordSearch

Bones Lite

Glow Hockey

iHandy Level (actually used it on 2 projects so far)

Labyrinth 3D

You guys have a favorite websites that rates these apps so it's easier to see which are worth downloading?

I've been visiting iLounge lately for any reviews.

Myspace and Facebook...

I use Twitteriffic to access Twitter.

Amazon Kindle for iPhone is pretty cool.

Bing is good.

Dragon lets you talk in the phone...and then send it to a text or to the clipboard which is very handy.

Gamefly's app provides daily gaming news which is cool.

Rocky is currently kicking my butt on the free chess game.

(Rocky...I think I have Knocking...)

• 1 year later...

This is an old, old thread which I found when just messing around with Google trying to see if there was some sort of Ghost Recon game (or similar FPS) for iPhone.

For those of you who like to listen to music at home with various stereo systems and who probably also have large collections your music on PC's (or linux boxes!) I suspect maybe some even have their homes set up with multiple stereo's/speakers, etc... so you can listen to the music anywhere.

But it can be a bit difficult to control that music from all the places you can hear it without using IR remote repeaters, etc...

Logitech has been making the "Squeezebox" line of electronics for a while now, that lets you listen to your music via WiFi. It works good but isn't cheap.

But now, depending on your hardware (i.e. PC's and stereos) it is possible to do all this with software running on PC's and iPhone. (iPod touch)

Anyone can download and run the Squeezebox server on a PC (not sure about linux) .

Next get "Softsqueeze" (freeware), which acts like the Squeezebox players on a PC. http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/ It supports mp3, FLAC, ogg, AAC, etc...

SqueezeCast is an app that lets you stream the music to iPhone. If you set up your router correctly, it is even possible to stream your music to your iPhone over the freaking INTERNET!! Works best with mp3's as FLAC needs more bandwidth, but if you are using WiFi somewhere, it should work. I had a bit of trouble getting this to work but it's more a problem of understanding the firewall software in my Verizon FIOS router.

Finally, to control it all there is an awesome app called iPeng that acts as a remote for the players (whether actually Logitech Squeezebox devices, or Softsqueeze players (which you can have running on multiple PC's if you like. It is pricey at $10 but well worth it. Logitech also has a free app to control Squeezebox devices, but it's not worth installing.

There is also a volume control on the iPeng, so if you want, set volume on stereo higher than normal than control with your iPhone.

Sounds cool, but I can't see the need for it... if I understand, this lets you control the music playing out of your PC, from anywhere in the house, using your iPhone. Is that the idea?

Yes, music playing from PC, which is connect to stereo.. in my case with fiber optic or digital COAX cable. Or you can stream it to your phone if you are in the back yard or something. Or stream it via wifi to any other PC in your network.

So I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• 1 year later...

SmartCart Service Systems, I don't own smartphone or pad but it was created by my nephew and is becoming popular among golf courses throughout the US and abroad, he has been invited to China to discuss around 300 courses signing up for it there....it allows players to use their mobile devices to order services from the club house...and of course score keeping...