The Return of Alien Breed

WytchDokta

Welcome to Intex System.

Former Amiga gamers rejoice! Alien Breed has risen out of the dark.

Alien Breed: Evolution info & screens

They've kept it true to the original, keeping the top-down view. This time around though they are using the Unreal 3 engine. The developer is Team17 who brought us the original Alien Breed series of games on the Amiga.

I'm due to try out the demo soon, and maybe purchase the full game some time soon. Now we just need some-one to bring back the greatest Amiga game ever, The Chaos Engine.

Player One requires first aid!

Edited by WytchDokta

OMG, that was awesome, but magnum pistol with 30 round magazine? Assault Rifle with 200 round magazine? Seriously, WTH? The weapon sounds are, quite frankly, bland. But it's still an awesome true-to-the original remake. You can do melee attacks this time around too (no melee weapons per se, just the butt of each gun), although melee attacking the larger enemies isn't recommended (it had to be tried though)

I got the full game now. The maps are huge. No, that's an understatement. The maps are gigantic. To put it in perspective, it took 50 minutes to complete the first map. Admittedly, some of that time was spent loothunting and going back over same areas upon discovering certain consoles/door switches didn't work (so had to go back to another area of the map to find a keycard or turn on sprinklers to put out the fire before going back to where I was trying to get to in the first place.

The placeable turrets are a nice touch.

Edited by WytchDokta

Single player campaign was intense. Some of the original weapons are back including the classic laser rifle that fires blue projectiles that bounce off surfaces, albeit with an increased rate of fire, and some new ones have been added: shotgun, magnum pistol (seems to be desert eagle with an insanely long barrel) and some heavy damage laser weapon that requires charging up (don't remember these being in the original)

I should point out that you don't just get one weapon, then when you acquire a new one it replaces your current one. It's not like the original it that sense. You can pick up all the weapons and flip switch between them when you want, same with items. Shotgun is OTT and should be appropiately renamed to 'Noobcannon' - even at range it can hit stuff accurately and, the rounds not only obviously spread (must be like 20 pellets in each shotgun shell :huh: ) but also they go through multiple targets. So you got three enemies one behind the other, just shoot one shotgun round and they will be all die with that one round.

I ended up just using assault rifle most of time, mainly because of the insane amount of spare ammo you can carry for it - 3000 rounds, with and extra 200 in the magazine (3200 total.) Can't beat the good ol' trusty assault rifle, even if it might not be as powerful as the other weapons. :P

Also, the mission in the demo is the 'Prologue' mission from the full game. But when I loaded Prologue up in co-op it seemed to be different to how it is in singleplayer. So for those wanting to know: 5 massive maps in singleplayer, six if you include Prologue; 3 unique co-op maps (by unique I mean different to campaign, the co-op maps are not the same as the SP maps)

Between the SP maps/missions (upon loading next mission) are comic book style sequences, which is just cool.

Edited by WytchDokta

Just replayed the whole first mission - completed it in 35 mins this time (15 minutes less than first run through); took 35 less damage than first run through; fired considerably less shots; used less items - all this was primarily using the pistol (even against the larger aliens) and melee attacking those little ###### aliens (they will die with one melee hit, but you can even walk on top of them to kill them, there's no need to waste ammo on them - unless there's a massive swarm of them. Pistol has unlimited ammo anyway)

It's funny, I used the less powerful weapons and do better. Not quite sure how that works out.

Edited by WytchDokta

It's not true 'top-down' view as such. It's more like forty five degree angle down view now, but you have the option to pan the camera (left/right only, not up/down/in/out.) It's only out on Xbox at the moment, but is due out on PS3 and PC early 2010 by all accounts.

The co-op maps are unique in the sense they are not the SP missions as I've already said, but they are edited versions (some heavily) of some of the SP maps. Ammo and health is more scarce too. I had it all worked out and other people playing on co-op had to go an ruin it. Come on, it makes more sens that I pick up every shotgun I see for the ammo and another player picks up every flamethrower they see for the ammo.... If we both pick up shotguns we will both require shotgun ammo. You see, there is logic in my method. Coulda saved us some ammo in the long run, but no, I'll just die instead using pistol because other players are lootwhoring. :( I don't think some of the players have even read the controls/followed onscreen prompts - What do I press to make my character run? Give me a break. It tells you that on the first SP mission, aswell as on the loading screen as a hint. What do the lights on my character mean? Now you're taking the ######. This is also explained early on in the same game AND on the loading screen as a hint: green lights = full health/moderately wounded; yellow lights = medium health/badly wounded; red lights = seriously wounded/very low health/almost dead/dying. Why else did you think your character limps when the lights on his armour go red?

At the end of the SP campaign some other in-game footage plays. It shows areas not in Episode 1 and I saw/heard some other weapons not in Episode 1 in that footage too. It wasn't clear, but perhaps it was a preview of Episode 2.

Hired Guns I remember because of the cool game box, but the game I kinda think was a disappointment,,,,

(The) Chaos Engine was so much better. :)