Dragon Rising - OMG has this game bombed?

This weekend was the first chance I have had to get some decent time in with DR, and I hoped to get some good MP under my belt.

When I logged into the MP browser though, there were only 7 servers? Then the enemy AI were apparantly blind to me standing right next to them.

I hoped onto the official forums and my god what a car crash! Same old PC disaster zone, no dedi servers, shed loads of complaints, and an xfire DR hours played graph that looks more like the world economy over the last few weeks than the numbers of people playing a long awaited supposed AAA title.

######?

I've always found pc gaming online discouraging. People spread out across multiple clients, and the whole time I'm playing I feel like if I blink wrong I'll be dropped.

As bad as console games are vs the pc versions, you gotta love xboxlive.

Edited by doubletap

It's a few pounds/dollars a month, not much.

I've been watching my nephew play MW2 on his PS3, it's a pretty neat. Without leaving the game he can call up his friends list and see what they are playing and jump into their server or message them (ala xfire I suppose).

OFP DR was made by people who dont understand OFP. Thats its in a nutshell.

One of the worse bastardisations of a great franchise in history.

But kinda knew it was gona be like that after seeing that ###### sion mills ( or whatever his name is ) playing toy soldier in the dev diaries. Hell I know they said they would make the game realsitic but the ability of a PLA soldier hitting me with a headshot 500 yards with iron sights through an entire forest is just a little unbelievable.

OFP DR was made by people who dont understand OFP. Thats its in a nutshell.

One of the worse bastardisations of a great franchise in history.

Sad. And it was made by the same developer too right?

Why some devs/publishers have so much problem updating a franchise is unbelievable. Just keep the elements of what made the previous game great and unique and add on some graphical updates and features the user/fans have been asking for. Really, what's so hard about that?

I often think things get messed up by some misguided CEO's request to make a game more like some other best-selling game (Call of Duty) or some lead designer's ego trying to make some artistic statment etc.

Why some devs/publishers have so much problem updating a franchise is unbelievable. Just keep the elements of what made the previous game great and unique and add on some graphical updates and features the user/fans have been asking for. Really, what's so hard about that?

Exactly. Cite COD MW2.

True, but first they have to UNDERSTAND what made the previous edition great... which seems to be lacking all too often. :(

Maybe because it's not always something you can find in feature lists? I suspect the 'feel' of a game is hard to communicate to execs/developers who weren't part of the fanbase.

Edited by Gache

That's a shame, I had high hopes for this game. I still think that flashpoint 1 is the best combat game out there, except maybe arma2 but I haven't played that yet.

I still haven't played the demo for [OFP: DR] so ill keep my fingers crossed, but ALOT of people seem upset.

I dont know the issues you are having Tinker but a few of us have being having some good long games with it.

As for people playing it. Society as a whole has became this whiney complaining monster that can ruin a game just for the sake of ruining it. Unlike most of you I have lived thru Bohemias beta tests they released as full games.

Most of you didnt play OFP when it originally came out. It was so buggy that I literally uninstalled it within days and never touched it til 3 patches later and good mods hit the ground for it. ArmA went thru 15 patches before it was right and they said ArmA 2 was in the works before the 3rd patch was released. ArmA 2 hit the ground and fell so hard they had to release an emergency patch just so you could even fire the damn thing up. they now are not calling patches patches anymore but now they are builds and they are on build like 20 of patch #5.

Americas army 3 hit and the servers where non existent,you couldn't play the game online and you couldn't even get your basic training in. So all games have had their problems. One real serious problem with OFDR was the ArmA community haters bad mouthed this game on every forum\blog\website. I remember 8 months before it was released every forum had a group that constantly badgered anyone who remotely tried to seek information or praise on the game. It is a shame because we play it daily and barring an mild occasional hiccup the games are fun and great.I have pretty much run thru Drejinn's missions and over half of the Intel missions and they (all coop btw) run and play fine.

And since people wanna claim ArmA 2 as such a great success there are only maybe 20 servers with more than 5 people on them and less than 5 with 20+

ArmA 2 servers:

ArmA 2 servers

Edited by twcrash

These "builds" are beta patches, official 1.05 patch will be out till the end of december, and will include a free mini DLC.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8651

Unfortunately OFP DR looks bad, low quality textures and models, and poor trackIR support makes it, imo a quite cheap "simulator" solution.

Edited by thales100

When the Patch comes out more will be playing OFPDr although we have no dedicated servers it's still a great game

just have small squads of which is the limiting factor at this time.

Will we get Ded servers well not looking good but as for game play I think it's great.

Now as to ArmA2 the stats you put up show slow period as some of us like to get a little sleep but if you compare those stats on a Friday night then It would be 50% higher.

This pic below is at 8:20am CST.

As you see our server has only 2 in it but as the Sun rises it will grow to 20-30 all day long.

Oh notice we are #8 in the World........ :rocky:

Also the stats are for public servers and we run a True Tactical game Friday nights that is not on the stats of which I would like to invite (Fri's.)Tinker, Rocky and all of ya'll to try out and see that even this game can be transformed

into a great game.

As for OFPdr if the coummunity just got together they would enjoy some great Coop play...but you have to play to have this.

Link To Picture *.

* [staff Edit: - Please keep pictures to 500 pixels wide] :thumbsup:

How?

This one is at 8:00pm http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/Knhalli/Arm2.jpg

Edited by Halli~SPARTA~

These "builds" are beta patches, official 1.05 patch will be out till the end of december, and will include a free mini DLC.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8651

Unfortunately OFP DR looks bad, low quality textures and models, and poor trackIR support makes it, imo a quite cheap "simulator" solution.

Then you never played it cause the graphics are great. I aint gonna debate tick for tack but when ArmA 2 actually runs decent let me know the patch number and ill download it so i can uninstall again like i did 6 months ago.

As for the server list you can take screenshots all day long and post em. you will STILL have less than 20 servers with more than 5 in game. less than 5 with 20+ people in it and NONE will be using the same mods.

Edited by twcrash