coop_industrial_revolution

Digger

Ok made some changes with the feedback from here in mind.

Change list:

- changed primary spawn to inside the guard tower mid level.

- added removegroup element to remove previous wave leftovers to help with FPS (fraps reporting 40-58 for me now)

- added barriers around adats (which also gives the alternate spawns some cover)

I didn't want to reduce the number of ai per spawn atm due to the fact that the ppl I play with tend to play as a squad (idea behind a team based game) and not have ppl running off to be lone wolfs.

The map feels a little tame now without the extra left over ai but it does help with fps. I went from 30-45 prior to the changes to 40-58 now. I run an ATI Radeon HD2600xt 512mb card on a dual coer 3.0 cpu, vista 64bit, 2gig of ram. Not sure what most ppl are running on but I am not the most updated pc so I am sure the fps should increase greatly for those with more power in their pc.

coop_industrial_revolution_v1_2b

Here is the v1.2b update. same pw as before on the archieve.

OK Fixed the random spawn bug I hope. Made the changes to the respawns to make sure only one is active.

Coop_Industrial_Revolution_V1.3b

Fixed files now uploaded. V1.3b is available. Same pass as before.

tanks are suppose to patrol, for some reason they will not but other then that here it is.

Edited by Digger

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Digger,

Welcome to the crazy world of mission modding, you will find the beta testers here very helpful. :)

It would be a good idea if you password protected your beta versions so the mission doesn't get used by the general public until you are happy to release it. This stops missions that may have bugs being used by the public and you receiving PM's complaining that your mission doesn't work as it should.

What we all do here, including myself is post our beta missions here with the zip file password protected, then the beta testers and staff members will PM you asking for your password.

When we first release a new beta mission there will always be some problems crop up as you will see if you look back at some of our betas posted here so this way it will only be the people that have the password that will be able to use them.

I will try and test your mission as soon as I can. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

John

Thank you all for testing.

While playing with TAW we found one bug and one suggestion. I tested the extraction site after fixing the location, seems sphere wouldn't let the game end as intended, but circle did. Moved the teleport to the suggested site (thanks taw_zero for that one). I also increased the time between the spawns on the first assault wave to reduce lag. They used to spawn 3 waves at 0,10,20 seconds, now they are set to 0, 20, and 40.

coop_industrial_revolution beta 2

just pm me for the password or ask taw zero or taw goose, they already have it :D Thanks again for the input.

Edited by Digger

Hi Digger,

I've tested your mission (beta1) twice on a dedicated server. Once with ebk52 and the second time I played alone.

• First thing I’ve noticed that green markers of objectives Adats_A and Adats_B (forgot to check the third adat) are too low:
    graw220091111230233.png

graw220091111231243.png

• Until the first objective all went well. Then ebk was killed and he respawned in the first spawn location, and then seconds later I destroyed Adats_A and ebk was killed again because a bunch of bad guys spawned in front of him.

• I was walking back to Adats_B and a sniper spawned in front of me.
    graw220091112001538.png

• After the third objective things get really laggy. FPS dropped to around 26. I did not feel the lag but a lot of GRAW2 players are going to complain about this. FPS hasn’t changed much in the next 10mins. It was around 25-45

• AI is getting stuck in this corner:
    graw220091112004821.png

• Not sure why this sniper was pointing at the sky. Couldn’t see any ducks flying around :D
    graw220091111234148.png

• The server crashed twice at the same spot (objective “LZ 2â€) with the same error message:
    Thu Nov 12 01:02:49 2009

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

Out of memory allocating 245788 bytes

Renderer: threaded

Physics : normal

• Btw, objective “Eliminate all emeny†is spelled incorrectly :D

Overall this mission is a blast to play. Great job Digger :thumbsup:

Trip

All the markers are set at ground level that being z-position 0

As for the ai stuck in a corner, that one guy does it about 30% of the time on his patrol. I think he gets lost or is shy about taking a leak infront of his pals. After each objective a new wave spawns which is why your buddy got caught at the last spawn ( told my friends they are not suppose to die and if they do that is their price lol). Sniper in the sky I have no idea about, that guy is normally laying down and pointed across the open area watching out for you. I may have to teleport all players to the new spawn, suggestions on it are appreciated. Also with each new wave I left what was left in the game there (figured there wouldn't be many left) just to keep ai levels around 100 per wave. Each wave consists of 65-78 ai. My fps has been staying up unless I try tripping 4th objective without killing a single ai (invis on). As for the crash, not sure on that one, I have hosted 2 rounds so far and tw_zero had it running earlier aswell, we went through with no errors other then the last trigger not firing. Only spot we noticed a drop in fps was objective 4, not sure about obj 5 as no one said anything that was in the game.

Anyone have some suggestions for the errors he found? I am all ears. Would love to make this one run smooth for everyone before I attempt to get to involved in the other one I had started. Oh as for spelling it wrong I blame my wife lol. She likes to talk to me when I type. Just hope I never type what she is saying :blush:

In the v1.1b I fixed the trigger for the game to end aswell as spread out the spawns on obj 4 a bit more to allow time to mow the tango's down between spawns.

Anyone think putting a teleport in as each objective is blown to move everyone to the new spawn would be a bad idea? If no one gives some feed back I will assume that would be preferable and make the change.

Hi Digger,

I tested the map lonewolf and with regular weapon settings this evening on a separate dedicated server.

I didn't find any major bugs. I had to logoff after I finished defending the warehouse area and before heading to the LZ.

No crashes occurred and the FPS averaged 25 for me.

Couple of things I noted,

- I recommend placing fences around the ADAT's to protect them from distant shot RPG's.

The fences would require players to place C4 to take out ADAT's.

- Place a couple of extra guards around each ADAT with MP5SD's and G18's, and maybe a sniper strategically hidden nearby or overseeing the ADAT's for added protection. ;)

- Don't know if it's a big thing, but I found the tank could not accurately shoot me with the mounted machine gun. :huh:

I easily crawled up to it in the open and placed C4.

As for the question about teleportation, I don't think you need it. It's not too far to walk or run to each objective after respawning plus you have a nice gauntlet of soldiers and snipers between the objectives to make things challenging.

I'd like to play it some more with others for further input, but everyone must be busy or tired to beta test. :(

I had an excellent time playing the map. It's a great job for your first run at modding. :thumbsup:

Hi Digger,

I had a chance to give you mission a quick test last night or should I say early hours of this morning, as it was nearly 2 am so I didn't get a chance to complete it.

I really had the same sort of issues already reported here, it played quite well up until the first adat after that my frame rate fell to around 25 and after each objective was complete it would drop even more, by the time I reached the "Eliminate all enemy" I was getting around 18 fps.

I have a few suggestions that might help you, first and one of the most important is the amount of AI you spawn at any one time, I checked your code and you are spawning at least 70 AI at once, this is what's causing the lag. The maximum amount of AI you should spawn at one time is around 30.

Looking at your mission.xml you are spawning the AI when the current objective is completed, this can be a problem as most teams will split up when playing so if your mates are in a different location when one player completes an objective your team mates will probably be in a location where the AI spawn which has been mentioned here.

What we normally do is have all AI spawned by triggers around the map, if you use enough of these triggers the you are able to spawn the AI in smaller groups which will reduce the lag and help prevent the "hot" spawning (AI appearing in front of you) that has been mentioned here.

When I first started making missions I made mine the same as you by spawning the AI when the current objective has been destroyed, I have only been making missions since March of this year and I learnt most of what I know by looking at other peoples missions, it may be useful if you were to unbundle one of my later missions and check the code to see how I do it, you will notice that 99% of the AI are spawned using triggers, it's only at the very start of the mission that I spawn the AI by not using them.

The crash that Triplex reported is normally caused by the PC running out of resources, again this is probably caused by the amount of AI you are spawning at once, the PC is running out of CPU memory trying to display all the graphics and the amount of AI, this is made worse by the map you are using as it's quite large.

So to sum up:

The main thing you need to do here is reduce the amount of AI being spawned at any one time plus add more triggers and use them to spawn your AI, again if you check my missions you will see that there is normally over 10 to 20 triggers on the map that are mainly used just to spawn the AI.

I hope this is some help to you and I think you have done a great job on your first mission, please do not hesitate to ask here if you need any more help. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the input.

Wasn't sure as to how many ai graw2 could handle at one time, with graw1 the group I played with required absurd amounts of ai due to the weapons mods the prefered to use (scarH with 1000rounds per clip and scopes so large you could see across the map). Will have to take the time and set up more area triggers at some point when work allows it.

Hope the editor stops crashing when I place locations lol, but imagine I will be doing the place one save, restart editor and continue again. Thanks again. for the input, notes are piling up on some changes to make, hopefully for the better.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind for next one. This one so far has not crashed or had a problem in a week of playing it with friends. So hopefully it remains stable.

Hi Digger, congrat's on the mission.

re. the password, the logic here is that people will grab the mission and put it up on servers as soon as it appears, and then when you make a few tweaks, and issue it again, there will be two versions of it out there and this will cause confusion to those that have the first version and so on...as GRAW is not that friendly in telling you why a mission will not load...

so, even if it's already been linked above, I suggest you replace it with a password protected version until you are ready for a full public release.

It always takes a while to get that last 20% finalised :)

Thanks for taking the time to create a mission for us all. The LAN team I play with really, really appreciate it.

Digger,

Also, don't forget to rename the bundle filename for each subsequent version. Your link shows a new version but the actual .rar and .bundle files have the same name. This makes it much easier for us to verify that we have the most current version loaded.

Rahn

(TAW_Rahnman)

Hi Digger,

I forgot to mention in my last post the problem you are having with the waypoints, you don't need to set the "z" coordinate to zero. What you need to do is find the position of the objective you want the waypoint for.

So, in the case of adat_a look in the world.xml and in the "vehicle" tag you need to find the position for the vehicle which is.

<position pos_x="-2560.3191" pos_y="19275.08" pos_z="450.54501"/>

For the objective "element" you would then use waypoint="-2560.3191 19275.08 450.54501" (note the z axis is set to 450.54501) this will locate the waypoint marker in the centre of the adat.

I hope all this feedback isn't getting to overwhelming for you. :D

Cheers,

John

All good, just trying to make notes and make changes as I get time. Trying to map out trigger area's etc atm and start over on the ai to cut back on the number of them. Just glad to pick up a new 4 button mouse since the other one died as soon as I placed the first item I wanted on that map. Makes things alot easier in the editor with the extra button :D

Digger,

I played your map last night with two others and we noticed the same lag issue as JohnTC02 mentioned above. By the time we got near the end of the mission the AI were pretty much just standing around and I could walk up to them and put a bullet in thier head. Follow John's advice and it will take care of these issues. I noticed that the map has an underground complex but it was not really used. I always like the variety of completing the out in the open and the indoors/underground objectives. Just a thought. Thanks for the map, once the lag is taken care of it will be a good one.

TGZ-Puck

Hay Digger, I just played the 1.2 .I had no lag at all but there is a big problem of radom spawn location. I would spawn from guard tower or from all the other places you have set to spawn at radom. Hope you can fix cause it makes it hard to complete the map. :rolleyes:

TAW_GOOSE

Hi Digger,

Just had a look at you mission.xml and there seems to be a problem with the naming of your spawn locations.

In the "event" "start_mission" which is the first part of the code you have named the initial spawn as "coop_spawn1" which is set to "true".

In the rest of your script you refer to that location as "coop_spawn" which you set to "false" so the initial spawn ("coop_spawn1") is never set to "false" which means you always have two spawn locations that are active so when you are killed it's possible to re-spawn in one of two locations.

I haven't checked the map in the editor so I don't know where "coop_spawn" is located but it's not used in your script, it's always set to "false".

Hope this helps, :thumbsup:

John

thank you for the quick reply John. I remembered that after I went to bed last night. Meant to take a look today and fix it. Other then that I was told they did not have any lag issues from ai now. Will be fixing that noob mistake today at some point. Hope that does it for changes :D

Updated beta with fixed spawn(I hope) is available in original post. Remembered to rename the folder aswell as world_info for v1.3b this time. Will work on pucks suggestion for the underground complex after this bug is resolved. :D Thanks for the input Puck

Edited by Digger