coop_industrial_revolution

Digger

Hello Digger,

AGB had an opportunity to beta the 1.2 version using the vanilla weapons set with 5-6 players at any given time. First, let me say that this is truly an exceptional first map that you have done and look forward to many many more. Did you reference the Wiki to help you?

In any case, here are some of our findings:

- I believe that John had mentioned the spawning needing to be set to false as we kept alternating between the actual spawn point and the starting spawn point.

- The Enemy AI are all either "mex_special_forces_heavy4" or "mex_special_forces_heavy_sniper". It would be really cool to mix up a few of the weapons types to include "_patrol4" or "_recon4" as well as some of the snipers just being the regular "mex_special_forces_sniper" or even a couple of RPG snipers.

- You are probably aware that the path to your minimap has changed. By changing the directory to your mission, you have to change all of the pathing that goes along with it. To change the actual verion, you only need to do this in the world_info.xml file under the "world_info name="xxx"" You may wish to consider leaving the directory name as "coop_industrial_revolution" and not keep changing to the version. However, if you do want to change your directories with each version, you have to update the world_info.xml's minimap line and load screen (when you add one).

- Noticed that you may need to run the lightmaps for all of the new walls that you put in. However, the lighting that the map current has is not far off and doesn't look too off.

- There was very little lag with the map which only occured during heavy spawning times of multiple Enemy AI, and typically that went away pretty quick. My FPS was hovering between 50-70 which is excellent.

The gameplay itself was odd for us and not the typical gameplay that we enjoy. To have one objective at a time is great for single player and possibly two players, but when you have squads of 4-10, players are scattered all over the map. So as we found out last night, if an objective is completed, we had the enemy AI spawning right on top of our players who were not at the objective. A way around this is to make all of your initial objectives available at the same time and then reserve the "defend" portions at the end (see below for the teleportation alternatives).

This spawning occured quite frequently where an objective was completed and AI that were not there before (also includes rooftop snipers) would appear in the middle of our squad formation - had a few chuckles as this happened more than once.

Teleportation is not a technology that US has obtained yet from the Sigma 72 Galaxy - although we are in negotiations. I understand the reasoning behind bringing everyone to one location, but perhaps you can make a false extraction or "EVERYONE head to the warehouse for debrief ...". Then instead of using the "greater than 0" when a player enters the location, you can just make sure that "all" players enter the location. Nothing brings out more colorful language on Ventrillo than that of teleportation, especially if the players are in formation and homing in on enemy AI... believe me, from a team perspective, this is an enjoyment killer.

I do want to again congratulate you on a VERY well done first GRAW2 mission!!! Keep up the exceptional work and wel will continue to assist in beta testing!! In addition, the comments above are just observations and opinions of our group and other groups sometimes have other opinions (even though they are wrong :D )

Thanks,

Bogie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the input. I too hate the teleport command but didn't think of having all ghosts in locations when I origianlly done it. The reason I went with one objective at a time was due to myself and Guardian playing with maybe one other friend. I decided to release this one here for beta at his encouragement as normally I just keep the maps since not many servers run custom missions.

For your first questions, I lived on the wikki and the tutorial pdf's while working on it. The map i can't take credit for as it was a terrain I liked and just cleaned to start one to learn on(well second first one was a huge flop). Hopefully I can get things put together to either redo this one with all the input or fix it up and use it for learning, and start fresh. I must say I liked the graw1 editor alot better, but stuff I learned putting this one together I have had the chance to put into an unfinished mission for graw1. Only do the missions because I like to learn, and they make me learn the editor and xml.

Digger,

First let me congratulate you on a great map!!!

I agree with Bogie on the teleport option. It does get quite annoying and does not depict realism. Loved the Sigma 72 Galaxy reference. BTW, I am on the board of negotiators for the acquisition of the teleport technology. Must tell you it is not looking very good. ;) BTW, Bogie, I thought you signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement regarding these negotiations!! :hmm:

Also as mentioned the running back and forth from one objective to another from one side of the map to the other several times was a little tiring. Felt like I was playing World of Worldcraft :D If you could somehow open up all of the objectives at once that would be great. Otherwise, maybe you could set up the objectives linearly so they can be eliminated efficiently.

Because this map is rather urban, placing several snipers in hidden places, windows, shadow areas, etc. would be great!!!

All in all the mission was great!! Please take these comments as constructive. We (AGB and the Ghostrecon community) in no way want you to believe we are not thankful for efforts in creating maps for us in the GRAW 2 community.

Saw that you released version 1.3. Will test it out tonight and get back to you!!

Thanks again

Alt i alt missionen var stor! Vær venlig at tage disse bemærkninger som konstruktivt. Vi (AGB og Ghostrecon samfund) på ingen måde vil have dig til at tro, vi er ikke taknemmelige for bestræbelser for at skabe kort for os i GRAW 2 samfund.

Så, at du har udgivet version 1.3. Vil prøve det af i aften og vender tilbage til dig!

Tak igen

good map with good action in a good set up but I thought that it looks like too much the folders we've run in advance but it does not so I thought it was bad, as I said good action in the hard fight to the last a couple chrach but it is ok =[GE]= GhostSoldiers Elite =[GE]=ebk52 :rofl:

Currently doing a full rework of area triggers, objectives, etc. When I have it rdy (basically redoing it) I will put it up. Was tempted to scrap this map as the more I play the more I see the same terrains but decided to take the time and put all the positive suggestions together to come up with yet another urban setting :D. Hoping when I have all the changes I want done it will be a RC not a beta :D

I would like to thank all of you for your input as I found the majority of it very constructive in working on this map. Hope to have several maps made in coming months but not holding my breath. I tend to want things perfect and just when I think I am done with one map I learn another way to do something or add more enjoyment and go back at it again.

Edited by Digger

Had to laugh when I read that you almost scrapped this mission and started again...it's a nasty trap that...and one that i have well and truely fallen into. I have a bunch of half started missions which have all sorts of interesting bits in them, that never see the light of day as i get distracted or frustrated trying different things. To be honest I enjoyed the tinkering more than I did the actual release of my one and only mission....Sadly that's in line with my personallity, I am a starter and not a finisher - so the psych. profiles tell me...and it's true, so true.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to just get it to a level you are happy with as a first mission and draw a line and take the learnings into the next mission. That way we get lots of missions with different ideas and playing styles :)

I also had to laugh when I read above that you went to bed and thought of a few things to change in the map. I so relate to this...I'm ashamed to admit that I often went to bed, late after fiddling with GRAW, lay there thinking while the wifey went to seep, then got up and fired up the PC - much to the disgust of the wifey when I was caught! Modding is a drug - it get's into your head and won't let go!

Looks like you are having fun anyway, and that's what it's all about.

Thanks again for taking the time to create a mission for us and publish it.

Oh, I am sure that you have seen a ton of stuff on the wiki that could be improved (and I've not maintained it for some time). If you get a moment, please feel free to edit/add whatever you think would improve it?

I am a starter and not a finisher - so the psych. profiles tell me...and it's true, so true.

Not true at all - NO "Man Project" is ever more than half done. Ever seen a tinkerer's basement? Not a single thing operational.

A landscaper's back yard? A mechanic's garage?

You get the idea...

I am a starter and not a finisher - so the psych. profiles tell me...and it's true, so true.

Not true at all - NO "Man Project" is ever more than half done. Ever seen a tinkerer's basement? Not a single thing operational.

A landscaper's back yard? A mechanic's garage?

You get the idea...

That was great!! I guess we're all cursed!!! :wall:

Just don't give up, Digger. I still play some of my very early maps and wish I had done things differently... but that is the learning process. At some point, you just have to release your mission to the public and move onto the next. I typically have 3-4 missions going at the same time and just looking, I have 8 missions that I have not either completed or have scrapped because they just were not going to turnout as they should.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Bogie

Just reworking it. Currently 8 objectives in it now. first 4 spawn at once. Moved some of the walls etc around. Added some indoor/outdoor objectives for Puck I believe it was that like that. Now placing various area triggers and ai.

Took the input from here and working on redoing the map into something a bit more enjoyable.

BTW just found out that Hold_the_line_v2 for graw1 actually got around. A beta tester here still had it. That was one of my first maps for graw1. Enjoyed playing it again so thanks zero for passing it back to me.

Ok, Other then rendering it I think the rework is going to pay off. A couple of you have had a sneak peak while helping me test it. Once I get the same guys on to help run it once more to make sure everything is working the way it should the v1.4b will be up for testing.

The objectives have a different layout and there are alot more snipers. The map itself as seen a few minor changes and yes the map is setup for team play not the 6 pll going 6 different ways. There are a few other little changes which some will like and some will not.

Thanks zero for helping run it. There are alot more of the little surprises then when we ran it last. Grab Johnny again and lets test the final additions. BTW the wife says thanks for making me laugh so hard, I woke her up last night testing it with you two.

BTW I am looking for a terrain that is flat and desert like if anyone knows of one for graw2. I really want to bring a graw1 map I made into graw2 so I need to rebuild it for this version of the game.

Edited by Digger

BTW I am looking for a terrain that is flat and desert like if anyone knows of one for graw2. I really want to bring a graw1 map I made into graw2 so I need to rebuild it for this version of the game.

You can actually just convert the GRAW1 map to GRAW2 and it would probably take you much less time. Here is the link that has a MS Word document that explains how to do it -> http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...iew&id=1086

You essentially just need to import the GRAW1 buildings that are not already existing in GRAW2, import the texture atlas files for your props\terrain then assure that ALL your new XML files have been updated (with the new paths - assure that you look at every XML file. One more note, to assure that your textures appear normal, make sure you add the appropriate Palat which is explained in the document.

Take a look as Bastion de Pollux mission as this was a complete conversion from GRAW1. Took a day for the conversion and about a week to really tweak the textures and convert other special props like the limo, stryker and chinook. I also converted the custom GRAW1 map Desert Castle (not released yet) in about a day with only minor issues with texturing. So it can be done... Good Luck!!

Bogie

Ok 1.4b is rdy for testing Finally

Coop_Industrial_Revolution_v1_4b

current as of Nov23/09

Updated at 10:30pm ast Forgot to remove altered stats element. If you downloaded this prior to that being removed please grab it again and delete the old one.

tanks are suppose to patrol, for some reason they will not but other then that here it is.

Thanks to zero and his buddies for helping get bugs out before releasing it here.

Edited by Digger

Ok 1.4b is rdy for testing

OK, we finally got to play this one.

We were very impressed with how fast and reactive the AI was, and how well their camo worked. It's been a long time since I've seen AI outdraw us so frequently.

The mines were placed viciously. We were running a client server, and the server player had a lot of trouble with them... with the green fins, they were much harder to spot than the normal black fin mines. The server said he didn't enjoy the mines very much; he found them more frustrating than fun. I didn't mind them as much; I was better able to anticipate the chokepoints they were in.

A few yards from ADAT B, as the server was pushing into narrow path to the left of a building with a half round false front, he crashed, thus ending our game. Here's what he got.

Crash in application version: 30899.3048

data\lib\managers\instancedescriptionmanager.dsf(-1): cant find member: 

clear_all_weapon_slots_except in type <void>

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\managers\instancedescriptionmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(0)

Renderer: threaded

Physics : threaded

TAW been running it on their dedicated so far with no issues. not sure what caused the crash.

I figured some would not like the mines, but being ex military myself and working as a recce debt commander and an assault pioneer (canadain soldiers will know the terms) the mines are more realistic then running around with out them in the map. Every military around the world uses mines in theater, so why should graw2 be any different :D.

I agree on the mines. I just wanted to forward his comments to you.

TAW been running it on their dedicated so far with no issues. not sure what caused the crash.

Yes. Remember that we're running a client server - that is, the server is also playing. This tends to bring up different issues than dedicated servers.

I agree on the mines. I just wanted to forward his comments to you.

Yes. Remember that we're running a client server - that is, the server is also playing. This tends to bring up different issues than dedicated servers.

I host on a client server aswell. Been playing it for about a week now on a client server, TAW_Zero been helping me by testing on their dedicated. I disabled my weapons fire mode key to avoid the z button crash. Gets really annoying when your playing on a client server.

I host on a client server aswell. Been playing it for about a week now on a client server, TAW_Zero been helping me by testing on their dedicated. I disabled my weapons fire mode key to avoid the z button crash. Gets really annoying when your playing on a client server.

Yes, he disabled that fire mode key as well (we found that out the hard way as well). In this case, he was in the middle of playing, thus its unlikely to be the spawn/weapon-select combination. Methinks this is just going to be another one of these GRAW2 mysteries...