Ghost Recon.net Forums

"Ubi demanded geat review in exchange for AC2 review copy"

German magazine Computer Bild Spiele is running an interesting cover article about a "scandal"

Our reviews are tough, but fair. We will not give up our independent scores for the sake of a timely review.

This holds true for “Assassin’s Creed 2″. The publisher asked us to guarantee the score ’sehr gut’, otherwise we would not receive a review copy,

thus we will publish our review in next month’s issue. We’d be more than glad to give the game a ’sehr gut’, but only if it deserves it.

Ubisoft Demands High Score For Assassin’s Creed 2 From German Magazine?

Ubisoft demanding high scores for early Assassins Creed 2 Reviews?

Maybe Ubi is trying to increase sales by demanding great scores for their games from the media now. A drop of 52% is substantial. Honestly, the best way Ubi can increase sales is to build games that gamers want then giving the proper support. I am not saying that they should do what Epic did by giving away the Unreal 3 Developer's Kit, but at least ensuring that bugs are patched out in a timely manner for several years, not just 6 months.

Ubisoft will be moving into damage limitation mode right now I should think, pretty shocking accusation. I can only assume it's down to one individual in this case and not corporate policy....

Its not new but to demand the score is high has never been so blatant. I mean before it was implied or if you gave consistently low scores to publishers game then they would take your site off their mailing list. But it has never been one game specific before. Very strange and if true the sign of a very dirty and desperate company.

There are loads of stories of publishers using just about every ######ty, underhanded trick in the book to beef up the score.

Websites/blogs posting ridiculously positive "reviews" of everything sent to them are flooded with promotional items, free peripherals and just about everything short of cold cash.

Review websites/magazines are told to up the review score or the publisher will pull all their ads.

etc. etc. etc.

It happens all the time and everyone does it, apparently. This is just another lesson to those of us who haven't figured it out yet, to put less faith in reviews and more faith in the opinions of trusted fellow gamers.

put less faith in reviews and more faith in the opinions of trusted fellow gamers.

Always I've sooner trusted my reason than trust reviews because it's ironic that you never see a bad review on the front/back of movie/game DVD case/book cover etc.

I run a site and we dont get abuse because we get alot of our games straight from XCN. Buts thats just XBox 360 games. Getting review copies for other platforms is much more difficult. Maybe if we started handing out 10/10s we would get more lol.