Question about Total Conversion Mods

kronovan

I'm new to the gold version of GR, so I have a n00b question: do the total conversion mods also change the soldiers, weapons, vehicle, etc. in the original, Desert Siege and Island Thunder campaigns?

I ask, because I just bought Desert Siege and Island Thunder last night and reinstalled GR. I also installed the Canadian Operatives 2.0a total conversion mod and I only had time to do a few of the CO2 quick missions; very impressive! Since I've never played DS or IT, I would like to eventually work through them in their original default state.

So my other question is; to get DS and IT back to their original state, do I have to uninstall CO2a , or do I simply just deactivate it from 'Options' > 'Mods' ?

do the total conversion mods also change the soldiers, weapons, vehicle, etc. in the original, Desert Siege and Island Thunder campaigns?

In most cases it would change the ghosts' uniforms and their weapons but little else.

So my other question is; to get DS and IT back to their original state, do I have to uninstall CO2a , or do I simply just deactivate it from 'Options' > 'Mods' ?

Only need is to deactivate CO2. If you start a campaign for example DS, it is not possible to switch to CO2 halfway through. If starting a campaign with DS and IT activated, you have too finish it that way.

Some mods will change both weapons, vehical, sounds and skins on all maps and missions including the originals

some will only change weapons and skins in the original missions :yes:

and to answer your last question, yes all you have to do to play GR,DS,IT in the original state is to deactivate the mods you have added, just leaving DS and IT active

Many thanks for the replies Wombat and Hammer. :) I didn't realize it was that easy to turn total conversion mods on and off. Since I'm a Canuck, I want to play the CO campaign more than the others, but it was years ago that I did the original campaign and I don't want to bite off too much at the start.

Just wondering if either of you know how the CO campaign compares to DS and IT in terms of difficulty?

Many thanks for the replies Wombat and Hammer. :) I didn't realize it was that easy to turn total conversion mods on and off. Since I'm a Canuck, I want to play the CO campaign more than the others, but it was years ago that I did the original campaign and I don't want to bite off too much at the start.

Just wondering if either of you know how the CO campaign compares to DS and IT in terms of difficulty?

Been a while since i played that mod, i dont remember it being any more difficult that the original missions other than the weapon restrictions :thumbsup: maybe i will load it up over the weekend and have a go again

Yes that is the beauty of modding support in Ghost Recon, each mod goes into it's own little folder in the Ghost Recon directory without overwriting any of the original files, take a look and see.

Then you can activate and deactivate as you wish via the options section in the game.

So simple you'd think other games would have followed suit... <_<

With out wanting to de-rail the thread, you are right Rocky along with a few other reachers like IP to IP and game recording to name a few , if they cant do it now how did they do it the ??? :blink:

Ghost Recon lives forever

And not forgetting the ability to watch through your team mates eyes (MP) as you will them on to complete a mission you have died in, How many Nites Have you sat there Rocky on a Tean GRnet drill nits or torniments willing a lone, last man standing to get to the extraction zone :o= Nothing even comes close these days. ;)

I still have some old Vids of GR and R6 and there great to watch, Not to mention the crack we all had on TS as well, i have "aquired" a few gems over the years like ZA toasted well playing and you winding up Sart with your mic not working lol :nono:

Yeh that's right! Awesome watching your team mate trying to finish the mission, and stressful for that teammate knowing you were watching his every move!

Funnily enough I was watching some old missions that I had recorded years ago that had ZA barking out orders to us over TS! Simply too cool, and frustrating to think how backward games have become as they move forward.

I think I'll jump right in with CO then and see how quickly I sink or swim. :)

Glad to see my thread started some good discussion. Sad to say, I missed the whole online co-op and mplay craze for GR, although I did play it at a few LAN gatherings back in the day. ;) I agree they don't make them like they used to when it comes to FPS's like GR. I think the answer why they don't make many FPS with gameplay like GR, is because many are co-developed for the 360 and PS3. Unfortunately more strategic gameplay doesn't really fly on consoles, and open modding doesn't jive with Microsoft's or Sony's 'pay-for-it' approach to extra content. Not that it would matter too much for me; I haven't upgraded my PC in 3-1/2 years, and there isn't many new games that will run on it. Heck I can't even run GRAW with any mods activated. :blush: