Widescreen After the DS or IT Expansions

kronovan

Hello all, 1st time posting here. :) I've just completed GRAW and GRAW2 and I'm itching for some legacy GR play. I just rediscovered my GR original CD-ROM in my storage room and I'm thinking of reinstalling. I remember reinstalling GR a few years back on my older PC and finding, much to my surprise, it would allow me to select a widescreen rez. That's important on my current gaming rig, because its only connected to my older gen HDTV. I also remember that the viewable area had slight vertical shrinking when it ran widescreen. I only had the original GR at the time, but I'm thinking of getting Desert Siege and Island Thunder so that I can run any of the mods.

My question is: Do the DS or IT expansions correct the vertical shrinking, or is it just the same as it was with the original version with patch v.1.4?

Well imnot quite sure ! What do you call wide screen ?

im running it at 1650 x 1024 and there is no vertical shrinking, Now you say its running on a old HDTV, is there a setting on the TV that you can change to run it in full screen ? my old TV was set to "Letter Box" by default till i changed it. and any games i played had the black band top & bottom (that was PS2 Games) but it mite be the same for PC :unsure:

Well it's a little more complicated than that for me. Because I connect to my HDTV via DVI -to- HDMI conversion, no setting on my Sony HDTV has any effect on how my PC displays. As well, since my HDTV is a bit older and doesn't display 1080p (1920 x 1080) or support any native PC resolutions, I can only display WinXP at 720p (1280 x 720). So I'm outputting a typical 16:9 widescreen rez, whereas the 1650 x 1024 you list above is a typical 16:10 widescreen rez. I used to have an additional 4:3 19" LCD connected to my gaming rig, and what I noticed previously with Ghost Recon is that the top -to- bottom area of the screen was reduced when outputted at a 16:9 rez. The effect I'm talking about is documented at widescreengamingforum.com at this link:

Ghost Recon Widescreen

What I was wondering, is if the Desert Siege or Island Thunder expansions fixed the vertical areal loss when using widescreen resolutions?

It's not so urgent now as I'm went ahead and bought the DS and IT expansions anyways, since I really want to try some of the total replacement mods. ;)

My question is: Do the DS or IT expansions correct the vertical shrinking, or is it just the same as it was with the original version with patch v.1.4?

DS and IT are the same as GR 1.4 - all cut off the top and bottom of the screen. Check out the screenshots I took for the Widescreen Gaming forum.com for comparison:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/scree.../ghostrecon.php