Strange Knife

WhiteKnight77

It seems as if England is getting stranger by the day (not my words but the general feeling of those who live there from what I see) and with the tough weapon laws passing by the day, we now see that someone has come out with the First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain.

How long will it take before someone takes it to a grinder and puts a point on it?

It seems as if England is getting stranger by the day
Retail staff are asking people for proof of age if a customer wants to buy cutlery [flat ware] and certain tools. IMO youth offenders should be made to attend some sort of public service groups where they wear reflective vests and pick up litter or remove graffiti in full view of the public. Some public humiliation, especially from the town they're from would do wonders for the soul. I've seen lots of litter 'chain gangs' in the U.S. on the roadside and I think it's a great idea. It's a pity the people that litter the roads can't be found and made to do it too.

Any youths that have been given a sentence, should be sent to Afghanistan to build and repair the country. That'll be a lot cheaper than a private contractor doing the work. Bring on the penal battalions I say.

I'd rather that than allow the U.K. to easily purchase firearms.

DS

I totally agree with DS, we are far to lenient on young offenders here in the UK, my personal opinion is that any youths that are convicted of crimes involving any type of weapon should be sent into the Army where they will learn a bit of discipline.

At present any young offender is either tagged or sent to a young offenders institution, IMO all that happens here is they get pickup more bad habits from the more hardened inmates an come out being worse criminals than they were when they went in.

John

...my personal opinion is that any youths that are convicted of crimes involving any type of weapon should be sent into the Army where they will learn a bit of discipline.
I don't think the Army would be too happy about that, but having them in a disciplined environment, where they're forced to work on something that's constructive, might influence them to join. Team work rather than lock up. I really believe public humiliation for the vandals and young thugs would be great. It would raise the spirits of the local population too if they could see that something was being done. They'd be jeering and booing at them. There's nothing like a good boo.

DS

There's nothing like a good boo.

Apart from the odd hiss and maybe a "grrrrrrrrr" *fist wave* :)

come out being worse criminals than they were when they went in

Maybe some people think that's actual a good idea :zorro:

Its true though with young offenders. Anyone see that BBC doc about racism in Bristol? 11 year olds threatening a woman and all sorts. I have to say to U.S folk don't do what we probably do about the US and assume its in many places, you will find like most things it mainly centered in poorer estate areas to be honest. The stats in the media get highlighted but as a population as a whole its not a knife pandemic as they try to say it is.

That said the places and people who do this I agree with D.S ideas.

I do not care what people say, anything can be used as a weapon be it a chair, baseball bat, cricket bat, knife or firearm. It is the person wielding such an item that makes it a weapon and how they use it. There are responsible 11 year olds and there are troublemaker 11 year olds (and age doesn't make a difference either be it 8 or 80 and anyone in between can be troublemakers). Why should the 11 year old who wants to carve something out of wood be penalized and not able to whittle due to the 11 year old who wants to attack someone with a knife?

All offenders need to be punished one way or another (no matter what country they are from) and more often than not, public humiliation can halt said offenses from happening again though there are those who will not learn, ever. Arresting law abiding citizens for restrictive laws is asinine no matter where such laws are enacted.

This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever. EVER. Both "anti-stab" knives will still make excellent slash weapons, and with the proper amount of dedication, motivation, and force, would make effective stabbing weapons, too. This will probably sound a bit more crass than intended, but this wonky idea seems to be little more than a feel-good for the Bleeding Hearts. (no pun intended). Anything can be used as a weapon; toothbrushes, pencils, pens, D-Cell batteries, I even read a case once where a man beat a burglar with a plastic toy lawnmower.

The solution to violent crime isn't to remove possible implements of violence. The solution to prevent crime is to re-evaluate and adjust societal values. Those values start at home, with parents. IMO, BAD PARENTING is responsible for the majority of violent crimes, at least here in the U.S. Yes, sir, or ma'am, if your son is arrested for mugging and raping someone, then you've failed as a parent.