[Console] OFP: Dragon Rising Thoughts?

GRAW Grunt

Has anyone had a chance to try this game out yet? From what I've heard, it's very tactical and somewhat reminiscent of the older Ghost Recon games. Since there's been quite a bit of downtime between Ghost Recon titles, I'm thinking of picking this up. I'll let you know how it goes...

GRAW Grunt

[Thread moved to correct forum]

Edited by JohnTC02

I posted in the Video Gaming Discussion section because I was inquiring about the Xbox 360/PS3 version of the game. I probably should have clarified that, but thanks for the link concerning the PC port of the game. It sounds pretty good, but I don't think my laptop could handle the requirements of this version though.

I posted in the Video Gaming Discussion section because I was inquiring about the Xbox 360/PS3 version of the game. I probably should have clarified that, but thanks for the link concerning the PC port of the game. It sounds pretty good, but I don't think my laptop could handle the requirements of this version though.

Ahh didn't realize it was for xbox you were posting. one console guy just posted in that thread though.

So far I'm finding this game to be too much like one of my least favorite GR missions: mission10 Vilnius, where you have to rush to take out several AT personel before your tanks reach them and get destroyed.

There's too much "beat the timer or the mission fails" in this game. My only other complaint is not being able to select my weapons. That kills much of the replay value for me. You need to be able to choose the best weapons to use for different approaches. Furthermore, the fact that you have no choice is also a hint as to how scripted the game is in contrast to how it was advertized. There's more to open gameplay than just being able to freely wander the map. That's just one aspect.

Why do my posts always turn out to be lectures? I'm so grumpy.

Get off my lawn!! :angry:

Ahh didn't realize it was for xbox you were posting. one console guy just posted in that thread though.

Yeah but everything I posted over there applies to the SP game in general - either version.

Edited by doubletap

I quit this game after mission 3. Timed missions ruined missions 2 and 3, the frustating village defense mission finished the game for me. A timed stealth mission? This is not GR, it is junk.

The AI is dumb as dirt,especially up close, so they compensated by giving them "eagle eye".

Cannot comment on MP as unable to connect to any game for 4 days.

rent this first or wait for the demo. Buyer beware.

And, this game would make the most serene person grumpy.

Yup, I got to mission #8 hoping the "timer" missions would eventually cease, but they just keep coming. Mission after mission the game throws this 'surprise' objective at you where you need to take something or someone out before it elimanates some friendly forces, armor, or aircraft. I don't want to go into the graphic details but my 360 copy of the game is no longer flat and round, lol.

I am dumbfounded by how few players have commented on this aspect of the game. I terribly want to like the game, and actually I absolutely love everything about it except this. Being forced to rush through the game completely ruins it for me.

All this talk about the ability to travers the battlefield as you see fit to acomplish a mission is bull. A few minutes into nearly every mission you get an added objective in which you have to haul ass to keep someone else alive, or keep some vehicles from escaping, or the mission will END.

I ordered the pc version for the future mods. To hell with the campaign.

Look, it is a superb game, and this complaint is purely a personal preference, I'm not saying the devs did anything "wrong". I NEED a game, especially a tac sim, to be very replayable. Continually having to beat the clock is a classic video game design meant to keep the tension high.

Take away the long hikes, and these are mere 15 minute missions due to the ever present timer. On the other hand, take away the constant "hurry we can't hold out much longer" factor, and you have a sim with epic replayability.

There are no real world 15 minute missions, aside from some spec ops rescues, let alone a campaign full of them. As far as I'm concerned the longer a game's mission takes the better. Does anyone really WANT 11 rushed missions?!! A typical GR mission takes me 45 minutes. And those are spec ops, which probably should be shhorter than DR missions. These more conventional missions should take at least that long.

Edited by doubletap

• 2 weeks later...

So you think this game is still good?

Everyone ( whose opinion I trust ) who I've talked to have said the game is a shambles. Linear, buggy and really lacking in MP. OFP are disgusted as it's not a real sequel. Thank god I didn't buy this game.

I happen to like it and the people I have been playing with like it. It isnt a shambles as you put it. people whine just to ###### and you will learn that. play the demo when it comes out. I have been trying to beat Tinkers Defend missions and find myself in a very engaging series of battles. So Either test drive someones or get it yourself.

Also on the subject of timed missions the damn missions take long enough to complete now how the hell are you being rushed to finish the mission? I mean 1 lil piece of the mission maybe timed but I have yet to play a mission other than one of the unlocked ones that don't take forever to finish. So the "im rushed" quote is a bit much.

And if you want tango hunts the editor is so damn easy make your own. The possibilities are pretty much endless in what you can do.

Edited by twcrash

This is the console version Im talking about. The one with no editor and only 2 mp maps. If the editor was available for consoles then it would be easy to create great missions.

Well my bad I wasnt looking at the topic so let me remove myself from this conversation since I have NO CLUE what goes on in the Console versions.

Well my bad I wasnt looking at the topic so let me remove myself from this conversation since I have NO CLUE what goes on in the Console versions.

Same game minus the editor. Now you have a clue.

Here's another one: I know it bugs you to no end, but I consider my opinion worth a damn when it comes to tac shooters. I already stated DR is a good game, and that my issues with the rushed objectives is a personal preference. I intensely dislike having to continually scramble to save someone else's ass to avoid a failed mission. The game is full of this.

And you say the missions take "long enough" and there is no rush. Next time you are tasked with eliminating yet another imminent threat to your friendlies - don't rush, and see what happens. Take anything but the most direct route, and see what happens.

BTW, how long is "long enough" for a mission? 15 minutes? 20? See if you can find a 20 minute mission ANYWHERE in the history of warfare. Ever.

People complain that games are too short, yet we want missions we can get though quickly so we can get on with the next mission.

Lol, gamers.

Anyway, I recommend getting the game if you're a tac shooter fan. It's by far the most realistic shooter on console. This being GR.net obviously we are GR fans, and OFPDR is the best game in that class in 7 years. Get it.

Edited by doubletap

• 3 weeks later...
the frustating village defense mission finished the game for me.

Lol, i wonder if it's the one i'm thinking of?, yes must be?, through the map order your team members to mount the big guns, there are four of them n-s-e-w positions, then you can just go around the village popping the enemy off, lol, easier said than done but a lot less frustrating this way.