So my copy arrived today...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have received my PC copy and I am very impressed with the game. The game plays and feels like Ghost Recon so I'm a happy soldier. The graphics are excellent (I have 2x8800 SLI). The audio is spot on and the voice messages are very acceptable. None of the bizarre robot speak of ArmA2

As a confirmed Co-Op player I was even pleased with the few MP non-Co-Op games I've played. 'Run & Gun' seemed to be, and rightly so, dead and buried. And, I saw no bunny hoppers!

My only minor disatisfaction, and it is a very minor one, is the 'overtones' the guys above have mentioned. If it's a lighting effect the designers were aiming for I'm not sure what the target was. One minute you are in bright sunshine and you turn and get some sort of sepia overlay until you turn again and you are back in bright sunshine.

So far, I'm only on Mission 2, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

p.s. It really should say Ghost Recon on the box though :rocky:

:thumbsup: Got my copy thismorning, Played 2 missions so far and i'm liking it. It does have a Ghost Recon feel to it :thumbsup: Order and Movement system took some getting used to, but they seem to work, cant wait to get on-line with a few people who want to play tacticaly :thumbsup: Edited by Hammer

I have received my PC copy and I am very impressed with the game. The game plays and feels like Ghost Recon so I'm a happy soldier. The graphics are excellent (I have 2x8800 SLI). The audio is spot on and the voice messages are very acceptable. None of the bizarre robot speak of ArmA2

As a confirmed Co-Op player I was even pleased with the few MP non-Co-Op games I've played. 'Run & Gun' seemed to be, and rightly so, dead and buried. And, I saw no bunny hoppers!

My only minor disatisfaction, and it is a very minor one, is the 'overtones' the guys above have mentioned. If it's a lighting effect the designers were aiming for I'm not sure what the target was. One minute you are in bright sunshine and you turn and get some sort of sepia overlay until you turn again and you are back in bright sunshine.

So far, I'm only on Mission 2, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.

p.s. It really should say Ghost Recon on the box though :rocky:

I feel pretty much the same mate, the only thing I really want to change straight away is the lack of "freelook"/TrackIR support, if I could look around I could forgive a lot of the other things not quite sorted yet.

The audio is spot on and the voice messages are very acceptable. None of the bizarre robot speak of ArmA2

Comparing the voice comms to ARMA is apples and oranges. The reason ARMA sounds robotic is because the comms are 100% real-time simulation and that's just a compromise you have to live with if you want real-time comms.

The comms in this game sound fairly realistic, but they are entirely scripted just like any arcade shooter like COD. Every time you play a mission the same comms will play at the same time, say the same exact thing, and trigger the same scripted objective with no varriation at all.

I'm not ragging on the game, but it's important to recognize that the cool sounding comms are indeed the same type of scripted "mission advancing tool" that was in GRAW. Only difference is they actually sound realistic and not like a cheezy action flick.

You'll see. If you have any hopes of replaying missions many times over, the scripted nature of the comms and triggered objectives is going to grow old, and inherantly erode any replay value.

Don't hate me, I'm just the messenger.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood what you meant about the comms. The reporting of enemies and giving/recieving orders definately sound amazing and not robotic like ARMA, if that's what you meant I totally agree! But all that bitchin and moanin I posted above still stands, lol.

Edited by doubletap

Only game to interfere with my KVM switch

Cannot connect to MP to join a freind for Coop

No walking

Enemy take multiply shots even to the head

Silly heartbeat noise while stood in middle of a field with combat all around, wth

Very clunky movement

First impression

3/10

May be a bit harsh, but until I can actually connect to a freind and try, I have nothing to go on really. Don`t play this type of game SP, don`t even play GR1 SP, so I`ll google Halli`s suggestion and see, otherwise on the shelf until the servers are sorted.

The comms in this game sound fairly realistic, but they are entirely scripted just like any arcade shooter like COD. Every time you play a mission the same comms will play at the same time, say the same exact thing, and trigger the same scripted objective with no varriation at all.

Then you haven't played it because depending on where you are in a mission and what is happening do you get certain messeges all random all the time ( they do go with what is going on) Example of this is if you come to a body you may get scripting that announces a body found and who it belongs to, maybe. It doesnt happen to every body you come across. that is RANDOM.

As for arcade shooter it isn't. This isn't COD4. This is big,open,tactics needed and plan needed fireteam battle. If you fire on tangos in this they supress fire in return, They attempt to flank you, They throw smoke and runaway, they take cover, they do bounding overwatch.So take it from someone who owns everything from Bohemia minus VBS2. This game will surpass your expectations. As for connection problems and other various problems most of these are owner operator problems. I have at least 6 guys on 4 continents playing it and besides the server issues they are working on. We have yet to see anything else problem wise that wasn't taken care of on our own.

. And as for Arma2 having real time comms <deleted>*. At best the voice acting sounds like a microsoft speech voice and totally out of place.

I dont get BI koolaid drinkers. Arma and Arma2 have been 2 of the Hugest disappointments to ever be released. I know this from experience. It took 16 PATCHES to get Arma working right like it should have out of the box. Does it still have problems? hell yes but are they working on it? hell no. Matter of fact before it was even released in the US it was announce QUEENS GAMBIT was in the works and about ready. Aint that great a new addon for a game that isnt even released in America yet.

Then they release ArmA2 which TANKS on the euro market so bad BI went into damage control building a patch just trying to get it to start to even be playable. And the problems ARE STILL THERE.

I hit the forums there and that's all you see is the errors and crashes. They are on Patch 105 and about to start 106 and guess what? they announced Project Arrowhead before patch 2. Aint that nice? you buy a game that wont run at all and they are already building you an addon to buy?

I am done buying BI products. I spent WAY TOO MUCH money on their beta tests.Arma is a great purchase for 10 bucks but arma2 isnt until it hits 10-20 in the bargain bin. Which will be soon.

* Admin Comment : - try not to make comments about other posters, reword to refer to the content rather than the person. :thumbsup:

Second Impression

Movement is better than Arma2, had no issues getting in and out of buildings. CQB looks like it could be fun. :D

Direct connect via IP is nice to have.

Walking is not really required in this game, fits well when crouched.

No leaning is fine for me, DR for me is between gr and arma, something different, to be explored, to be taken for what it is, and has.

Not too fussed about gfx, but with the amount of bad posts seen lately, they look really nice to me.

Mission editor is amazing. :thumbsup:

Plays fine straight out of the box for me.

Changing my 3/10 to 8/10

:P

This is contrary to what I have read. It is on the fly communication although naturally scripted in places like any other game in the world not just arcade shooters.

Keeping things in perspective, this game is no super model but she has alot of good points and with a bit of cosmetic surgery it can only get better, remember it's early into the relationship and putting her up against games like GR is kind of hard as that title alone has many years of development from devs/ modders & mission makers.

Personally I find it good, I have my likes and dislikes like most people but I find the base game ok.

Graphics don't make a game but they can break it, I find OFP DR graphics ok and if Cm tone down the colourization from the global light then that small aspect would be easily improved.

Sound is top notch I am impressed, sound field definition and execution is solid.

Game mechanics could be improved but generally it plays well.

Longevity, remains to be seen but with good people probing the in's and out's it's only a matter of time before some talent is spotted and patches add to the depth.

At least there is another good title on the block........

depending on where you are in a mission and what is happening do you get certain messeges all random all the time ( they do go with what is going on) Example of this is if you come to a body you may get scripting that announces a body found and who it belongs to, maybe. It doesnt happen to every body you come across. that is RANDOM.

I said the comms between your squad and HQ serve only to trigger the next scripted objective or "moment". And these comms do play the same every time you play the mission, and that's why they are not robotic. And I never said I like ARMA at all, I'm just pointing out why it does have the clunky sounding comms.

[OFP: DR] is by far better than anything else out there, but my explanation of the comms is accurate.

Lightspeed: This is contrary to what I have read. It is on the fly communication although naturally scripted in places like any other game in the world not just arcade shooters.

No, again, the comms from base are not on the fly, they are triggered, and they serve to trigger your next task. This obviously also means that you more often than not have to take a linear approach to objectives; not in terms of movement, but in terms of sequence. Not that big a deal, but not as "open" as I had expected. GR1 for example, was totally open with the exception of some missions.

But yeah, the comms within your own squad are on the fly and very well done.

And it's important to note that GR should be expected to be completely open because that game deals with spec ops, which operate without constant direction from HQ, whereas this game revolves around more conventional forces which do in fact communicate with and take on the fly orders from HQ. So the more linear gameplay is not necessarily unrealistic. It does unfortunately reduce replay value, at least for me.

Edited by doubletap

GR1 for example, was totally open with the exception of some missions.

How do you think these gr1 missions would play in such an enviroment?

Hard to ever compare the difference in mission aproach.

I don't get what you're saying. Do you mean how would the less open GR missions play in the OFP environment? Less open is the oposite of more open, simple as that. But there are extremely few linear GR missions, and as I said it's to be expected considering the spec ops scenario.

I'm not complaining that this game is too linear, but I do think that it is more linear than the preview videos let on. Yes the environment is entirely open, but the gameplay is not so much. I'm refering to the way objectives are approached. For example: "we need you to take out the APCs, well done, now go to the airport, ok now set up in the tower, good, now we need you to take out that gunship".

Now play the mission again and this will all be the same. Comms and everything.

Edited by doubletap

didn't mean to russell any feathers nor was I trying to disrespect the poster.So I apologize for that. I did go off on a tangent about ArmA only because I get irritated that EVERY shooter game gets compared to it and NEVER mentions the serious flaws in ArmA itself and its like its the be all end all game when in in my opinion OFP1 is still better (with mods) than Arma and I have a few people who agree.Despite the cheesy graphics.

Now you state

This obviously also means that you more often than not have to take a linear approach to objectives; not in terms of movement, but in terms of sequence.
but we just did the 2nd mission and a completely did the 70% of the objectives out of order. So despite saying you would have to do the missions linear is not completely on the mark.and when you are playing in Hardcore mode there are no checkpoints to go by.

Now the tether is a bit much as you can't spread out too far that is a slight hindrance but I see that being changed in future updates.

I also see more islands coming as well as a TON of community missions.

again no disrespect meant

Edited by twcrash

The audio in Dragon Rising & Arma Series differ in one point, OFP Dragon Rising uses a smoother notation method, Arma Series used short words virtually glued together.

The result is Arma series has a robotic sound as disjointed words are bonded together into a sentence with little to no inflections.

Dragon rising uses larger structured phrases along with single words to produce smoother formed sentence with inflections. DR uses 3 states, whisper, normal and loud, all can be intermixed and sentences can be formed in a more rounded manner. Also Speech can be scripted to be directly changed with battlefield action, moving from whisper to loud in a simple lua function block.

didn't mean to russell any feathers nor was I trying to disrespect the poster.So I apologize for that. I did go off on a tangent about ArmA only because I get irritated that EVERY shooter game gets compared to it and NEVER mentions the serious flaws in ArmA itself and its like its the be all end all game when in in my opinion OFP1 is still better (with mods) than Arma and I have a few people who agree.Despite the cheesy graphics.

Hey I here you man, I was through with ARMA in a matter of days. Tons of potential, but I hate the general experience. The most fun I had was playing the shooting range mod, lol.

Second Impression

Movement is better than Arma2, had no issues getting in and out of buildings. CQB looks like it could be fun. :D

Direct connect via IP is nice to have.

Walking is not really required in this game, fits well when crouched.

No leaning is fine for me, DR for me is between gr and arma, something different, to be explored, to be taken for what it is, and has.

Not too fussed about gfx, but with the amount of bad posts seen lately, they look really nice to me.

Mission editor is amazing. :thumbsup:

Plays fine straight out of the box for me.

Changing my 3/10 to 8/10

:P

I agree, 8/10 (as a reference, Aws were 3/10 for me)

Point a door and order the AIs to ‘attack building’ and watch. They actually lineup, wait for the cue, and enter the house one by one and room clear. They never get in the way and fallow orders without being static. They pretty much act like a player would.

V e r y cool game

I agree, 8/10. Too many positives to count, only a couple negatives.

I don't like being forced to rush to save someone else's ass (you need to hurry and take out those "whatevers" or we're all doomed") and it does that almost every mission. Maybe that's the devs idea of tension, but not mine. It's just my idea of annoying as hell.

But anyway, other than that I find no faults, and actually that's not really a fault, just my own preference.

No wait........there's one fault. Not being able to choose my load out. That is a huge fault.

7/10 for campaign lacking replay value.

Edited by doubletap