GTX 295 RMA Arrived Today

Dick Splash

Well, I've just installed it and there's really no change. :wall: I uninstalled the drivers, installed the drivers off the disc and then updated them to the latest. This has been going on for months now. This should be a lightening fast system. Could there be a bottle neck somewhere?

DS

You have already checked your boards tech forums to see if anyone else has had similar issues with this MoBO/GPU combo, any workarounds, and/or if there is a BIOS revision that might help?

____

Sorry to hear that you're still dealing with this...have any hair left?

Sorry to hear that you're still dealing with this...have any hair left?
It's not so bad. I use my laptop more anyway. It's just frustrating not being able to figure it out myself. Instead relying on several forums and emailing back and forth to manufacturers. EVGA now think it's possibly the memory. I'm onto Corsair now. I wouldn't know what to look for in the BIOS and it's now a possibility that I have one or more duff modules. Although, the system shows 6GB. GRAW and BIA: HH still look and play great too. Once it's sorted I'll finally install the X-fi sound card, buy some speakers and headphones and take some photos of it all.

DS

EVGA now think it's possibly the memory. I'm onto Corsair now. I wouldn't know what to look for in the BIOS and it's now a possibility that I have one or more duff modules. Although, the system shows 6GB.

Got a linux live CD handy? Most popular distros include memtest86 these days - just boot from the CD and then have it 'Perform memory tests' (or something like that). Leave it running for a while and see what shows up.

When you install memory, are you supposed to check or alter something in BIOS?

DS

Not usually, no. Maybe check your motherboard manual to make sure you're using the right slots for dual channel memory handling?

However, if you're concerned about memory problems, you do want to run memtest. :whistle:

Not usually, no. Maybe check your motherboard manual to make sure you're using the right slots for dual channel memory handling?
According to the motherboard manual, the three modules are located in the correct slots. Both EVGA and Corsair have advised I check the XMP in the BIOS. I'll be doing that later.

DS

In your back & forth with EVGA tech have they ever suggested flashing the boards current BIOS?

Error code(s) 43 or any conflicts still being reported in Vista even after replacement cards?

Did you ditch the old driver (Post #1) and try again with the current WHQL?

Ok, after some searching in the BIOS I found XMP in the memory section. It was set to 'Standard' or 'Auto' and the only other option I was given was 'XMP Profile 1'. After setting it to the latter the only difference I could see was a frequency change from 1333 to 1666. I saved it and then ran 3DMark performance. My score is now 23989. That's almost five times what it was and has been since I built the PC a few months ago. I'm not sure how good the score is because I've nothing to compare it with yet. I flicked through the motherboard manual and there's no mention of XMP nor requiring you to check or alter the memory. There were no instructions whatsoever with the Corsair memory. My W.E.I. is now 5.9 too.

I'll now get back to Corsair and tell them what's happened and see if there's anything else I need to look for. I'm sure EVGA will be happy with the result.

I'll fire CoD4 up in a bit and see if there's any change.

DS