Ghost Recon.net Forums

hmm... here is a bit of surprising news

Prague, Czech Republic, August 13th 2009 - IDEA Games and award winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive announced today the development of ARMA II Operation Arrowhead; the standalone expansion pack to ARMA II, one of the most anticipated sandbox PC military simulator of 2009.

Three years after the conflict in Chernarus, portrayed in the original ARMA II, a new flashpoint in the Green Sea region heats up and coalition forces led by the US Army are sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties.

Set into the new, visually attractive environment of hilly central Asia, Operation Arrowhead will offer realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting with unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics. Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew in this new installment in the award winning line up of military simulators for PC from Bohemia Interactive.

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead will be presented during the Gamescom; trade fair for interactive games and entertainment in Cologne, Germany 19th - 23rd August 2009. Visit us at our stand in hall 4.2, stand no. L034.

"Bohemia Interactive is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack, this will not only allow us to introduce a new and original theater of war to the simulation series, but also improve numerous areas of the core game, for both the original game and the expansion, where we can go even further with adding completely new features" said Marek Spanel, Bohemia's CEO.

53348_thumb.jpg . 53347_thumb.jpg

wow, they've not even fully fixed the game and are already releasing a standalone expansion, bet this isn't going to go down well with some fans

and they must have thought so too, hence the "fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base"

[Edit(s):]

All fixes made for expansion will be also aviable as free patch for original ARMA2.

In arow head will be new expansion exe that will also include some new things&technology that will be for expansion only (will also need some support and aditional data in expansion PBOs).

ohara, BI Developer

Expansion will allow to integrate arma2 content in to it, so if you will have expansion and A2 you will not need to run arma2 exe.

So technically spoken ArmA2 would be an expansion for Arrowhead?

technically, yes

Works on expansion CG started at january this year at Brno (ALTAR team) and after A2 release, rest of art people in Mnisek connected to that work.

Programmers and designers now fixing A2 and branched project, when fixes are released as patches.

As expect that design bugs in A2 are near to be solved (most of bugs is now in engine not in design), designers moved/will move to Arowhead.

Programers as they work on expansion automaticaly fixing A2 engine, so dont worry.

Expansion pack will not include ARMA2 campaign, maps and units. AH will be stayalone payable and if you will have instaled ARMA2 it will alow you to integrate A2 content in to it, thats all.

Hmm, maybe not quite so "bad" after all, depends what they charge for it :hmm:

Edited by Pave Low

Well, considering that Arrowhead has been active on some of the devs desk(top)s since 01-09, I suppose that that would explain the level of completeness ( :whistle: ) of ArmA II -as it was rolled out.

Nice to hear that it will be compatible w/II, but judging by the facts that they're globe-trotting and switching to the Army -requiring the necessary refits- for this standalone/addon...I would guess full ticket price.

There is flame war going on in their forums right now also alot of people are confused on how this is going to work (stand alone, expanssion, backward compatible, etc ) also their moderators are not behaving professionaly (calling names idiot, stupid etc)

I think BIS did the right move with this EP, adding content to the game is great in my eyes

OT. any of you guys have 3d vision?? if so how it works?

If it was just an EP adding new maps/equipment/missions and they priced cheaply (or even a free DLC to make up for teething problems) then it would have been a hit and not a problem (Well maybe a little grumbling like with QG)

Usually “Standalone Expansion Packs ” are something you see a year or more after the game hit the streets and you would have expected big engine improvements in that time that cant be done in a patch/upgrade.

But to suddenly see one only 2 months! after the release of the game (that people paid full price for) would seem to suggest that the original retail game version was indeed rushed out too early and they have now improved the engine to a point that the original game cant be upgraded to.

Using CoH as a similar example, It would appear likely that if you get OA that you will have to uninstall ArmA 2, install OA and then “add” ArmA2 as a mod! To the OA engine

Or perhaps we will be able to just install OA over ArmA2 (more like was done with RS)

Either way paying full price for what in effect will very soon become “just a mod” is going to rankle a lot of people

It’s like getting the DLC before the real game but paying full price for both

and like many I will probably get OA (what choice do we have if we want to stay current with the new "feaures/functionality")

But what about the people who will only stick with A2 ? (Either by principal or by situation) sure they will get patches but they will be sidelined a bit, as wont be equal to OA+A2 owners

BIS are insisting that it wont split the comunity but how can it not when:

will also include some new things & technology that will be for expansion only

It's how big a split that will depend on exactly what these "new things & technology" are and their impact & use in future mods

Agreed. The timeframe is odd and leads to alot of questions...questions that they most likely will try to dodge.

Then again, Standalone and Free just don't mix. Hardly a viable business model...to quote a popular phrase.

____

Before I was able to find a boxed copy of QG here in the States more than a few mods -requiring content from the expansion- were off limits for months...and given the recent track record what with the staggered world-wide releases and/or publisher hiccups, this is also bound to be a repeat issue with this release as well.

____

Asian topography...wonder if they are looking for a Dragon-Slayer?

• 1 month later...

if its a good game - and in effect a new game then i dont mind paying good money for it - despite the price i paid for Arma2 i would already say ive got my moneys worth and thats after only a couple of months.

how far would $99 AUS go nowadays? lets see not even 1 day ski pass, 1 hour in a go-kart, 1 day of paint ball, 1 match watching the wallabies, 1 good night out.

for the work that goes into developing a game - im happy to pay for a good game.

• 5 months later...