Anti-Piracy system for GR:FS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think game hackers are just as bad as game stealers. Nothing is worse than getting a gaming session on just to have someone come in and ruin the experience. But you dont really seem them complaining about people hacking their games. I always buy games I like. I believe you support the people whom do you right.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should forget the past and look for alternatives.

If I'm not wrong, the game World of Warcraft can´t be played illegally (which does not prevent other traps can be made) because to play it, it must be identified on some private servers of Blizzard.

For me, this would be the best option, but this leads to some extra costs of maintenance and customer support.

For someone who pays 50€ or 60€ for a game, it's the least we would have, but not viable. Why? Because the developers what they want is to get a game today, and within another 6 months, so they pose a long-term support on a game does not feature in his plans.

They should stop fighting against piracy and encourage the buyer with a quality product, well made and designed, with expansion options such as a map editor (element should now be standard in any game), and above all listen to those who will buy your product.

The DVD's they can always be pirated. Steam discharge rate also may be.

Another element to consider are the demos. Something with map editors should always be fixed. Why? because before that I spend 50 € for a game, I like to try. I can not base myself only on the videos they want to teach (cgi's mostly), and promises to be X or Y.

And I am convinced that if they do test their game prior to its sale, if they offer tools to lengthen the life of the game (kind of FarCry2 map editor) and listen to the community for whom you are aiming your product, certainly the vast majority gladly pay the 50 €.

" If you can´t beat them, join them "

WoW can be pirated as well. Though they have to play on "private" servers, which pretty much defeats the purpose ofMMOs. Same thing with many other non-MMOs, they can pirate the game and play online but usually only on "cracked" servers. This is one of the reasons (if not THE reason) Infinity Ward dropped creating dedicated servers for MW2. So people couldn't host "cracked" servers to allow people who pirated the game to play on. No word on LAN support.

I truly believe the only real way to put a damper on piracy is making an internet connection required everytime the game starts. THQ did this with Company Of Heroes and subsequent expansions. You create an account when you install the game and activate your game with the cd-key, it is then associated with your login. This was done with subsequent addons for the game as well. Each cd-key is then associated with your login. Even for SP you had to login to the game to play it. If you have to re-install, you don't need to re-verify anything, just need to login and your keys are stored.

I know this isn't ideal for any kind of offline play, but I would rather have that than DRM that only effects legit users.

• 3 months later...
@ first, i use a cracked version for testing if there is no demo.

I hear this all the time, don't mean to offend you m8 but that is a cop out. Everybody can read about any game in development, and closer to release more info comes out on the games as well as screenshots and previews and reviews. Don't like what you read or see or hear...then you have the option to not buy.

I'm not going to get my hopes up about a new GR until I know more info on it, the whole cloaking device puts me off a bit lol if I wanted to be a Klingon I'd play Star Trek: Online! :o=

Silent Hunter V is supposedly coming with a new type of DRM, where you register online and your save games are stored on a central Ubi server. You can't play the game offline either it requires a constant internet connection to their server or you can't play the game. So your paying for a product that you can only use when Ubi says its ok to do so, and if your internet connection drops or their server dies your client will go belly up. Imagine setting up an attack on a convoy for two hours and then getting a CTD or something, complete BS.

I can't help but be a bit worried, I'm not buying SHV for the DRM employed on it... if they do this to a new GR it will kill the franchise on PC. Even though I was disappointed with GRAW and its successor, I still really like a good shooter and will be a sad day for PC gaming if this game goes down the same road as SHV is as far as DRM goes.

Scope...

you register online.

And activate the game no doubt.

You can't play the game offline it requires a constant internet connection to their server or you can't play the game.

For single player i can understand the possible frustrations for legit users if a server was to bug out big time but in this day and age i can't see this happening every other day. With regards to the save games this should infuriate the pirates.

So your paying for a product that you can only use when Ubi says its ok to do so.

I would think you have the right to play your game when you want to. I can understand why we first look at the possible negative issues with this type of drm / protection.

Imagine setting up an attack on a convoy for two hours and then getting a CTD or something, complete BS.

To be fair though, i doubt auto save will be every two hours, there may even be an option to save your progress at any time?.

I can't help but be a bit worried.

Human nature to be wary of the unknown.

Yep, That that is one term, condition, or restriction of the EULA that is bound to cause quite a bit of unnecessary and unwanted (return) activity for the casual/unaware customer, as well as that poor retailer.

THE USER OWNS THE ORIGINALCD-ROM/DVD-ROM DISCS ON WHICH THE SOFTWARE IS STORED, BUT...

:rofl:

____

Ubisoft are SO forward-thinking.

you register online.

And activate the game no doubt.

You can't play the game offline it requires a constant internet connection to their server or you can't play the game.

For single player i can understand the possible frustrations for legit users if a server was to bug out big time but in this day and age i can't see this happening every other day. With regards to the save games this should infuriate the pirates.

^

That for me would be a non-starter...just how do you go about mounting a diversionary amphibious invasion in Manchuria while in the office and get away with it -with that stipulation. 0:)

Someones scared of having to do some work, while actually at work! Just a guess. :shifty:

Yep, That that is one term, condition, or restriction of the EULA that is bound to cause quite a bit of unnecessary and unwanted activity

Yep, confirmed. :P

@ Scope

Setting up an attack on a convoy for 2 hours? :unsure: Hope we have JIP. :whistle: I can`t think of spending much more than 1 hour on any decent GR mission.

Yes it can take that long to stalk a convoy, form a plan of attack and get yourself into a firing position ahead of the convoy... in fact 2 hours of game play would be quite good time if you didnt use a lot of time compression!

The thing I hate about that DRM I mentioned, what about those folks who don't have anything better than dial up? It sounds daft in this day and age but there are people out there with it... and what happens if ubi drops support quickly for a game? If their server crashes or if they're doing maintenance you can't play the game at all or it will cause your client to close in the middle of a game. Rise of flight was supposed to be great but they lost a lot of sales because they used the same type of DRM.

I want to be able to double click and play my game, but I'll just get a message saying I can't... because I'm not chained to ubi's server for one reason or another. I know you don't "OWN" the software you just own the disc... but your still paying for a product you can only use when Ubi's servers are up.

Another point, Ubi have stated that you won't be able to resell the game after you have used it... perhaps they tie it to your "account".

This kind of stuff I don't mind for MMO's... its normal to be connected to the net at all times. But for a game I might play mainly offline... or completely offline in the case of SHV its way over the top. There will be a cracked version of it within days of release and all the DRM will do is shaft legit buyers. Not to mention its very draconian.

Edit, by the way... this might sound crazy for some here... but think of this. In years to come, when Ubisoft have released a few more milk cow versions of silent hunter/ghost recon. Are they going to keep paying to keep the servers up? What then? Do we just lose the ability to play a game we played for? Or will we have to pay to play? Ubisoft are just after every dollar they can get so I wouldnt put it past them.

Edited by ScOpE

Yes it can take that long to stalk a convoy, form a plan of attack and get yourself into a firing position ahead of the convoy... in fact 2 hours of game play would be quite good time if you didnt use a lot of time compression!

The thing I hate about that DRM I mentioned, what about those folks who don't have anything better than dial up? It sounds daft in this day and age but there are people out there with it... and what happens if ubi drops support quickly for a game? If their server crashes or if they're doing maintenance you can't play the game at all or it will cause your client to close in the middle of a game. Rise of flight was supposed to be great but they lost a lot of sales because they used the same type of DRM.

I want to be able to double click and play my game, but I'll just get a message saying I can't... because I'm not chained to ubi's server for one reason or another. I know you don't "OWN" the software you just own the disc... but your still paying for a product you can only use when Ubi's servers are up.

Another point, Ubi have stated that you won't be able to resell the game after you have used it... perhaps they tie it to your "account".

This kind of stuff I don't mind for MMO's... its normal to be connected to the net at all times. But for a game I might play mainly offline... or completely offline in the case of SHV its way over the top. There will be a cracked version of it within days of release and all the DRM will do is shaft legit buyers. Not to mention its very draconian.

Edit, by the way... this might sound crazy for some here... but think of this. In years to come, when Ubisoft have released a few more milk cow versions of silent hunter/ghost recon. Are they going to keep paying to keep the servers up? What then? Do we just lose the ability to play a game we played for? Or will we have to pay to play? Ubisoft are just after every dollar they can get so I wouldnt put it past them.

Thank you ScOpE,for saving me time it takes typing,to say what you did...........all are valid points,that I think some who are not having a problem excepting said DRM,may be over looking.

UBI can use this DRM all they want..........but...........they aint selling me a game that includes it,cause I aint buying into this BS.

I'm going to add my 2 cents here recently Ubisoft shut down the IRON WRATH server, granted the expansion was free to use, did they ever released a patch??? no, and why CD authentication for a free product?

I may be wrong but don't even remeber if they actually said to the community that they where shutting down those servers

I'm going to add my 2 cents here recently Ubisoft shut down the IRON WRATH server, granted the expansion was free to use, did they ever released a patch??? no, and why CD authentication for a free product?

I may be wrong but don't even remeber if they actually said to the community that they where shutting down those servers

I'm agree totaly with, but perhaps it because there no more server and...... all Iron Wrath and Athena Sword maps are converted for RvS.

And Ubisoft love keep control on multiplayers servers.

Buy the game, play one or two years and buy another game.

I remember a discussion between SOD Sniper and someone at UBI.

Initially, we wanted to know if we could hope to obtain the source code of RvS.

The response was swift:

No way .... a game is not made to last, the PC community has enough advantage (modding, mapping) for not being able to get more.

We have done well feel that the console was more profitable in terms of game rotation.

• 2 months later...

Well after reading through these post, I thought to post my 2 cents as well.

Now me, my brothers, and friends have always bought our games fair and square, but after the issues with EA's drm with Mirrors Edge, and the semi aggravating one for Mass Effect, as well as with my brother on his Mirrors Edge which frustrated him to get his key active cause he was having errors installing and needed his keys redeemed.

And for myself with steams games, I wont leave them out since they as much a problem when i was on vacation with no access to log on.

I would love to have fun with Ghost Recon Future Soldier no matter how it turns out.... But if there is any kind of drm with the way its getting, I honestly think its going to be my first ripped game cause Im tired of the ridiculous stupidity from publishers, sponsors, server base etc when good paying costumers has hassle like dealing with Microsoft.

PIRACY will never stop no matter what those idiots think and all they do is anger the honest people when first mention of security being put in games is mentioned. I remember 10 years ago when there was no such thing as CD keys, then suddenly they appeared to stop piracy. OK, that made a big deal at the time like today with drm, but over time it just got normal and acceptable. Im fine with a key cause theres no hassle since we own that key.

BUT being locked down to there servers with activations etc, they no better then Microsoft since an operating system is required to even make a computer functional and just sale upgrades. I remember when news first hit that Microsoft was considering then 4 months later they annouced that they wont due to failure of the idea and decline from there sales would increase.

Theres my thoughts of the day and I think Ive already decided UBI wont get my money.

How do you buy a car?

1. I steal one to test if it works ?!?!?.

2. I test run it for ½ a year.

3. If I like it I buy one ( YES, RIGHT!!! I HAVE ONE THAT WORKS, WHY SPEND MONEY ON ANOTHER!!!)

4. If I don´t like it I trash it and steal another one….

Usually the car shop has a DEMO you can try before you buy.Atleast they do where i live(Norway)