Zombies

S7EVEN

I've been working on a zombie mod for the past week (to the great enjoyment of my roommates) the biggest problem I'm having is getting them to chase the player(s) around the map, as opposed to just having them assault a location.

I've made a point blank weapon and given it to them, but they don't realize the limited range so they stand 50 feet away and fire at you. To fix that I've lowered the 'max spot range' on the map, but that has limited success. Any suggestions??

I've also scripted 'proximity [the zombie company]/player actor=kill player actor', which is more reliable, but by my understanding that wont work in multilayer (because there are multiple 'player actors' and it can't distinguish which to kill). Is there a way to fix that?

• 4 months later...

I know this is from a while ago but it sounds interesting.

First, you would need to have some close quarters maps. So the zombies could jump out and what not.

Second, I think this would take quite a bit of scripting. You will need to name "actor x" who is the closest to the zombie a variable via a script loop over the whole company. There can be many actors named the same variable. Obviously, you would want multiple zombies to attack one actor so you could loop the commands over a team of zombies. You might want to wound the zombies at startup to give them a cool limp. Would be cool to see this one.

• 1 year later...

I've tested this method and found that it works almost perfectly. All you need to do is set up a few easy script blocks. Now, realize that if you are spawning fifty zombies every minute, this will not work, but if you want to make a singleplayer or coop zombie mission, here's the formula. Also note that you will have to make a seperate block for EVERY zombie in your game, but if you are really desperate, here you go. Oh, I also haven't discovered a way to prevent zombies from scriptkilling each other, so you'll have to work around that. The reason why they kill each other is because my method checks every second for a member of the players to be within a short distant of the zombie, and once a player comes near, it triggers to set a variable called "Victim" to the ACTOR, not PLAYER, nearest the zombie, therefore, if a player comes near the zombie and another zombie happens to be even closer, it will kill that zombie instead. But this will only happen if you have hordes of zombies near each other. If you have them at a distance from each other, this is unlikely.

Group: Default

Comment: starting the game

Trigger: (Startup) The simulation is starting.

Responses:

(VariableSetPlatoon) Set (Player Platoon) to (The player-controlled platoon)

Comment: check for zombie targets

Trigger: (TimeElapsed) 1 second has elapsed.

Responses:

(BlockPreserve) Allow this block to be reactivated.

(VariableSetActor) Set (Victim of Zombie 1) to (The actor nearest <Zombie 1) Note that you will have to repeat this response for every zombie in your game, so if you have 25 zombies, you'll have to set 25 victim variables.

Comment: kill the zombie's target

Trigger: (ProximityPlatoon) A member of (Player Platoon) is within <however many meters> of (Zombie 1)

Responses:

(BlockPreserve) Allow this block to be reactivated.

(KillActor) Have Victim commit suicide.

Hopefully this will get you started, sorry that I left a lot of blanks, but you'll figure it out. You'll still have to figure out a way to get the zombies to follow the player and to make the zombies stronger, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck on your project!

• 11 months later...

I'd take them, what .chrs did you have in mind?

Only way I can think of to effectively do this is have you on a small multiplayer map or just somewhere tight and have both ends blocked off so you couldn't move around much then have tons of waves coming at you set to advance at all costs. My problem is this: how do I make them tough? Of course you would think the combat model file but then everyone is tougher. I guess setting stamina to eight might work, will see.

I'd take them, what .chrs did you have in mind?

the refugee ones were the ones i did, they should work outright i've PMed you the link. i was going to retexture M05 to make it post apocalyptic, and just let them wonder about until the player enters within about 20 meters of a zombie and then they follow you until you kill them, i was going to edit the combat model so only a shot to the head and a grenade had a good chance of killing a zombie

The thing about other zombie games/mods that you do not have in GR is, mainly, ammo. But also food/bandages/etc would not be a walk in the park in GR either.(at least it seems, feel free to prove me wrong. :P )

It would basically come down to "how efficiently can I shoot this horde". and after reaching a certain point you can do no better. *shrug*

Edited by Oelmuvun

Well yes, I did actually get the point of his POV, but there are many other way's to get health pack up.

And GR needs a pick up option, if it doesn't have it yet.

Edited by Blame

Well yes, I did actually get the point of his POV, but there are many other way's to get health pack up.

Which leads us to the very same problem: these kinds of features cannot be modded (as far as I know), as it's hard-coded into the engine itself.

If anyone is interested, here is my script:

TRIGGER: (ProximityPlatoon) A member of Player Platoon is within 3 meters of Zombie 15

RESPONSES:

(BlockPreserve) Allow this block to be reactivated

(StopIf) Skip the remaining responses if the platoon including the actor nearest Zombie 15 is equal to Zombie Platoon

(ContinueIf) Continue executing responses if Zombie 15 is active

(KillActor) Have the actor nearest Zombie 15 commit suicide

(PlaySound3D) Play 'zombie_kill.wav' at the actor nearest Zombie 15

Every time a player comes within 3m of a zombie, it initiates this block. 3m is almost pointblank in Ghost Recon.

BlockPreserve allows it to kill a player each time the zombie comes in contact with a player.

StopIf cancels the block for this time if the actor nearest the zombie is another zombie, so this prevents zombies killing each other.

ContinueIf keeps dead zombies from killing players.

KillActor kills the nearest player.

The sound is just for effect.

You have to make a block for every single zombie -- I can guarantee you that there is no other way that works well. It isn't that hard though, I've done 15 zombies already. Since the zombies cannot follow or track players, I have the players in the old church on Mp02 NightBattle and if they leave it teleports them back to the insertion to prevent escapes. When Zombie Wave A dies, B is spawned and attack the church. This is my zombie plan:

Stance: Lock: Upright (keeps them standing)

Alertness: Lock: Combat (keeps them un-casual)

Movement ROE: Advance at All Costs (makes them keep going under fire)

Pace: Lock: Shuffle (gives them a nice limping look, the harder waves will be set to run)

Path: I have a path set to loop or track and just pretty much cover the building so there is no place to hide.

This works pretty well, every once in a while if you get down to a couple zombies it becomes obvious they are not attacking you but it is still very hard. To make them tough you could have a modified cmbtmdl.xml but then all enemies (original russians) would be tougher, guess it would be okay for a zombie mod, but since TXM is not I will just auto-assign your kit at startup and the weapon you get will have very low damage. As you defeat waves you get better guns.

Alex, any chance you could modify old_man_refugee1 and young_man_refugee1 to have blood stains on them and maybe torn clothing? The ones you sent had no changes that I could tell, except for face.

Which leads us to the very same problem: these kinds of features cannot be modded (as far as I know), as it's hard-coded into the engine itself.

And this also means that the amount of time you can survive is short, running out of ammo is going to be a bad thing if you can't melee :/

I see only 2 downsides with GR having zombies, there are no melee attacks, as far as I know and there are not many players left.

Melee atacks? Dude, all you need is a flamethrower.

Flamethrower doesn't last forever :) and you know it.

And zombies are realistic?

You could easily have an ammo box somewhere to replenish your inventory with a simple

ProximityPlayerPlatoon3mOfAmmoBox

ReplenishInventoryOfActorNearestBox

And melee attacks are quite possible, I could make a knife or 'punch' in a few seconds, just make it a gun with a range of 3 or 4m and a stab/punch sound. Could have it at low damage to make it more like a knife.