[ArmA II a "GR successor" ?]

i know you're all Gr optimists but you all need to stop and think.

GR is a gametype, a tactical simulation - but the name is just a name as was exposed by Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter.

The name did not make the game the successor we hoped.

And yet, here is ArmA2 (not called Ghost Recon) yet with everything and so, so, so, much more then the Ghost Recon ever had.

If you are hanging on a game bcoz it has Ghost Recon in the title then you are missing out the new, real Ghost Recon sequel as we speak.

How many more times do you want to be disappointed?

ArmAII is not a GR sequel, it's a different game all together appealing to two different demographics even though they are both tactical shooters. If you venture out of the hardcore ARMAII forums and venture into the realms of ordinary' gamers you'll find pages of complaints that the game is too complex to play, heck that's the reason I haven't gotten into it deep, although I do have II on order.

The point being that the GR series while offering tactical gameplay and realism (to an extent) does not draw that critiscm and that illustrates how the two games are different and cannot be compared or aligned as 'seperated at birth sequals'. There is a place for both games and there's really no reason to create a debate about which is best, as they both do what they set out to do very well. That's why both games will be on a lot of desktops, including mine.

Now i haven't played arma2 but tell me... How can you match or ladder in Arma? How can you go and beat some other clan to a pulp and chase them out of there own server?

i miss the rumble days and cod4 matching is nothing like gr1 was nor ever will be.

ROCO*AFZ*

And yet, here is ArmA2 (not called Ghost Recon) yet with everything and so, so, so, much more then the Ghost Recon ever had.

I guess it is a matter of opinion really. I'm more of a sp than mp, arma 2 is ok but ghost recon was topnotch, a masterpiece. I even prefer graw 1 and 2 over the arma games.

Played the ARMA2 demo the characters walk/run funny and the size is off compared to a real human at the same distances. Other than that the graphics was awesome but the voice AI just sounds stupid. Rather than pay someone to do real voice acting they had someone record single words and they put that together to form sentences, it just makes me want to put the game away as the realism just went out the window.

There's one big thing that makes ArmA anything but a GR successor that you seem to have missed.

GR was an INFANTRY tactical game.

ArmA is a mixed game of Infantry and Vehicles and as such it is compromised in both fields.

Now don't get me wrong, I play nothing but ArmA and ArmA II but that is only because there is nothing else about that keeps me even vaguely interested.

ArmA II is still nowhere near as polished as GR was in FIBUA (Fighting In Built Up Areas) or CQB (Close Quarter Battles). There are the usual glitching issues, and don't even get me started on the grass and cover issues.

It is a good game, with a good modding base and plenty of options and playability, but a GR Successor... I think not mate.

I played the demo only, and I can't see it being a successor.

I want to get the full version but, $45 is steep for me.

It's much easier to learn than ArMa, and AI is better.

But something about soul-switching that new generation of pc gamers will definitely miss out.

i know you're all Gr optimists but you all need to stop and think.

GR is a gametype, a tactical simulation - but the name is just a name as was exposed by Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter.

The name did not make the game the successor we hoped.

If you are hanging on a game bcoz it has Ghost Recon in the title then you are missing out the new, real Ghost Recon sequel as we speak.

How many more times do you want to be disappointed?

I get the feeling you just experienced a great night @ Arma2?

Arma2 is a great game because it has alot of variety & community, but it comes with many faults too, like some have posted many suffer greatly after buying it. Arma2 is a game suited to long military warfare, no Arma2 game lasts 15 mins ;) GR & A2 are unfortunately two different beasts, I use to play GR all night with PREDATORS and Arma1 the same but GR for me is more intimate, more intense, more focused on the PvP, Arma2 is focused on co operative play as a main meal & on logistics as a side dish.

On the horizon is a game that I've had much privileged info on, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, it's a game you can play 15 min rounds with or 1 hour rounds with, objective & multi objective, from TDM to some new game modes. Operation flashpoint Dragon Rising has from the moment you look at it,the Core DNA elements of ghost recon.

6th Oct for that one.

Enjoy Arma2 but I think you'll find many GR core players don't find the magic of GR in Arma2, I did not find what I was looking for.. ;) I'm still looking...

Have fun :)

ah i see i have been taken a little out of context...bare in mind this thread was actually ripped from a thread about ppl complaining about a delay in the release of GR4 and they stuck it in here.

my reason for the post, was a dig at the ppl who keep complaining about not having their new GR - the fact is there will never be another GR - it was what it was, but Arma 2 is as close to a modern version of GR that we have yet and improves on GR in many ways (admitedly, fails in other areas) - and I'm talking specifically about COOP too not MP team v team or single player (not interested in either of those nowadays, although I might try some Arma2 warfare).

I could debate every one in here on each issue - bcoz Arma2 does have its faults, but in terms of COOP - I do believe and stand by the statement that Arma2 is a worthy successor to GR - and stand by the statement that just bcoz a game is tagged with Ghost Recon on the box doesn't mean it's going to be anything like the Ghost Recon.

Daisan - quick comment on the vegetation issue - while it is not perfect, Ghost Recon on the other hand was unrealistic in that you could grab any bush, not move and a patrol could walk within 5 metres of you and never see you.

And on the vehicles, I think everyone would agree that real insertions are better then GRs drop you in the zone - Arma2 gives us this opportunity and adds a new dimension to planning an attack from ANY angle. Of course, I dont like using the Armor or Planes - but trucks, choppers, personel carriers etc have their place and add something to the gaming experience.

As said before, the thread was taken from a post with ppl complaining about GR4 delay - well why complain about that when you could be enjoying Arma2? Get over it.

As said before, the thread was taken from a post with ppl complaining about GR4 delay - well why complain about that when you could be enjoying Arma2? Get over it.

I blame 'Pave Low' up to his old tricks ! ;) j/k by the way...

I've never tried it on MP yet. I do buy game mostly for their SP campaigns as well as being able to catch up with friends online. If the SP is crap its not likely that I would buy the game no matter how good the MP is.

Hmmm

there is a big differece with Ghost Recon and Arma 2 Ghost Recon was released in 2001 min req P2 ARMA 2 in the other hand was released 2 months ago???

For me ARMA 2 is not a worthy replacement you see lightspeed I got OFP before Ghost Recon back in the day and din't like it at all in my case the interface was too clunky for my taste, you have to use too many keys and like somebody said is a combine arms game was ugly ass hell and buggy now fast foward 2007 ARMA 1 to me was is the same OFP with a new paint job with the same issues....haven't tried ARMA 2 yet so I can't comment on that one but granted the game looks much better... now my problem is I like small unit tactical games so right on the spot ARMA don't qualify and since I did tried early releases from them I know for a fact the game is not the Ghost Recon replacement I'm looking for..Now don't get me wrong I'm not as optimistic as Rocky as a matter of fact I was looking foward to GB but we all know what happen to BFS and that game is on hold for now

For me single player is important and ARMA 2 don't deliver in that department...and as usual is buggy the good think is that BIS Developers interact with the custumers and support their products with patches and updates not like our favorite company which have community developers to interact with us but in a reality they are just a shield between us and the company

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

If you read my post I said that I haven't played with ARMA 2 and I can't comment on that game and I based everything on my experience with OFP and ARMA 1...also I said my comments on single player because of what I read on different forums

Don't get me wrong i'm exited that BIS released ARMA 2 and I'm going to get the game eventually because like I said in my early post the game looks much better than the early releases and without a doubt is going to be WELL SUPPORTED with patches and updates and I support developers that have the balls to release REAL tactical shooters

I can't wait to get my hand on VBS2 supposely the Army is going to release a LITE version for free to us military personnel through our AKO accounts

But in the end ARMA 2 is not a GR successor but a different beast all together

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

- the fact is there will never be another GR -
Unfortunate, but true.
but trucks, choppers, personel carriers etc have their place and add something to the gaming experience.
:thumbsup: They most certainly do...nothing worse than being stuck in some rubber raft scripted sequence with absolutely nothing to do but watch you and your team take hits.

Vehicle control is not so novel...even for a FPS.

Arma 2 must fall way way short of GR for the SP gang as everything I've read said that the SP campaign was so bug ridden that it was almost unplayable. :(
Again, unfortunate, but true.

But then you should have also have read (particularly after ArmA) that this title should not be purchased for the campaign.

Happily plodding away in ArmA II's Editor...think of it as Quick Mission Mode with infinitely more options to work with/from.

Edited by NoQuarter

• 1 month later...

I have moved from GR/GRAW to Arma since nov 2007.

If you want a pure open sandbox, to make and do as you please with a learning curve, an SP campaign that realy should be a "demo" than a solid SP campaign like GR/GRAW and other games, and is simply a box of lego to expand on with numerous mods to fiddle and tweak with ... and you liked that feel you got from GR then its for you.

If you like a bit more straight forward tacitcal movement and more stripped down in terms of open ended (lego half built) so you can jump in and go no worries then maybe its not.

[ArmA II a "GR successor" ?]

No. It is a great game for outdoor large combat. GR encounters planned missions within given areas. I see them as far apart as can be. Like arma or not, it is only what it is.

:)

I think with mods ARMA could very well deliver the feelings I had in GR.

The ambiance is quite right. The combat is well balanced, and AI is good .

With some new maps (more urband combat, and a good night mission) who knows.

All the ingredients are there, now for me to find the right mods, or for the modders amongst us to make them?