[Windows 7 hype]

ROCO*AFZ*

I get it for free lol... gotta love the MS action pack.

Seriously though i have no idea what the hype is about. It is SO much like Vista that it hurts except some desktop enhancements.

I've been playing with a virtual pc version @ the office and frankly i really don't see any hype. Looks like Vista with some tweaks

Check this article... note it's been revised a few times but you will see things that vista has, just worded different lol

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

Oh and one feature users will hate is... the Windows Gallery is no more in 7. Finally they had an easy way for my parents to import pictures... and its gone... replaced by incorporating it in the media center. For those of you testing... tell me... is this easier or a bunch of crap lol

Anyway, i'll have it on a 2nd hard drive to test it more once it's gameabe. I am hoping the antivirus crews actually have an antivirus out that works. On Vista's release... there was none lol.

For those that haven't tried the beta, here is a site with more info and pictures

http://www.windows7update.com/index.html

From what i see so far Windows 7 is to Vista like Windows 98SE was to Windows 98.

Windows 7 runs much better in my laptop (Like XP) than the OS my laptop came with (Vista)

No compatibility problems so far and BTW programs know that are not working in Vista like 3d Studio Max up to version 8 are working in W7 (tested 3D Max 3.1 and no problems here) I can't say the same with Vista

Edited by Sgt. Atoa

It's not hype, IMO. Windows 7 might not LOOK better, but it runs very well, is quite stable, and, dare I say it, a nice upgrade from XP. Vista sucked, yes. But just because Chevrolet made the Chevelle, doesn't mean that Chevrolet would never make a quality vehicle again. Not that they are anywhere near the best car company, but they can still make a good product.

Windows Vista = '65 Chevelle

Windows XP = '69 Camaro Z28

Windows 7 =2010 Corvette ZR1

TYVM

This is Snake, out.

Yep, having actually installed Win 7 RC on two very different spec PC's for real (not in an emulated environment) can definitely say

*The install is much smoother and faster

*it uses a lot less resources and is more streamlined

*compatibility of hardware/drivers is like day and night compared to the nightmare when Vista first came out

*and real actual day-to-day use is a much better experience

*Gaming performance is also better than on Vista (some older games do get even better on XP though)

most of the people I know who tried the RC are so please with it they are using on their primary rigs instead of Vista

I waited a year to go from XP to Vista on my primary rig (for them to sort out the drivers & compatibility issues Etc)

yet I have preordered Win 7, 3 months before it is released that is how pleased I am with the RC

yes, Vista is good now after the 2 service packs but in my book Win 7 FTW :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am hoping the antivirus crews actually have an antivirus out that works. On Vista's release... there was none lol.
Norton Internet Security 2010 (Beta) is already working brilliantly on my Win 7 RC PC's :thumbsup:

Check this article... note it's been revised a few times but you will see things that vista has, just worded different lol

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/windows_7.asp

that article was posted in Feb 2007 and last updated October 14 2008 ;) Edited by Pave Low

This is actually going to work out just right for me because I was thinking it was about time I did a fresh OS install, this ones got a bit bloaty.

Time to start tidying up now before 7 gets released so I'll be all ready for a nice quick swap over.

Just another things also... the cheap version you are getting... is it Ultimate? cuz the beta is.

No xp mode in the home premium which gives it the most backwards compatibility

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ompare-editions

On a good note... the driver model is similar to Vista... and vista has had a chance to help manufacturers get used to the newer models.

I'll have it of course and play with it, but as usual i never recommend it this early to be your primary O/S.

Pave.. internet security? You don't have a router already with a firewall. I don't usually suggest norton's and mcaffees as they like to protect your pc from your other pc's if you have a router or such. They are so bloated without the extras as it is.

Yeah the article was old... but those things it showed hadn't changed.

Just another things also... the cheap version you are getting... is it Ultimate?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...ompare-editions

Nope, turns out Home Premium has everything I need

I don't need; Windows XP Mode, Domain Join, automatic backup so don't need to pay £100 more for "Professional"

and definitely don't need to pay an additional £20 on top of that just for BitLocker or to have 35 other languages in "Ultimate"

No xp mode in the home premium which gives it the most backwards compatibility

Meh, now that is definitely something that has been hype'd ;) as a selling point for "Professional", most home users wont need it

It is not a compatibility "mode", it is just running a version of XP SP3 in a virtual environment (so it naturally suffers from all the limitations that entails)

Even MS are very clear it is not meant for games

The new Windows XP Mode lets you run older Windows XP business software right on your Windows 7 desktop.
    Windows XP Mode was not designed for graphics intensive, media intensive, or hardware intensive applications. [iE Games]
    XPM was designed for Small Businesses.

Majority of games will run just fine on Win 7 Home Premium (and results seem to indicate slightly better than they would on Vista)

and any really old games that do have issues, would be better off on a full physical install of XP on a dual/triple boot partition (or an old PC if you have one laying about) than in a virtual environment like XPM

don't get me wrong it is definitely something businesses are going to use, just not most home users (unless they run a home office) and particularity not gamers

[start O/T]

Pave.. internet security? You don't have a router already with a firewall.
Of course I do, Belt & Braces mate

I don't put all my eggs in one basket it is just one part of a layered defence.

I don't usually suggest norton's and mcaffees as they like to protect your pc from your other pc's if you have a router or such.
Good, that is the idea

Nothing gets in from outside ....anything that somehow ever manages to already be inside (from media Etc) doesn't get out or go sideways to anything else on my LAN

In fact it works so well I don't even notice they are there most of the time, everything integrated and working fine

once set up right and trained, only very occasionally do I ever need to confirm a pop-up box to allow an action.

They are so bloated without the extras as it is.
meh, what is this "bloat" you speak of :P

I have absolutely no complaints having used NIS on all of my PC's and laptops for years and they get better each year

NIS 2009 is a very streamlined product, but NIS 2010 is just fantastically slick

and to anyone thinking the old adage "oh but what about all the resources they use" on a modern powerhouse PC

it has all the affect of a gnat landing on an elephant's back :P

[end O/T]

• 4 weeks later...

Here is something that may interest you. It's from the MS Windows 7 Blog

Now let’s talk about the Windows 7 Family Pack. Last week I confirmed we were doing a family pack for Windows 7 consisting of Windows 7 Home Premium for installation on up to 3 PCs.

Today, most homes have more than one PC in them. When you run Windows 7 on more than one PC on a home network, you can do more with features like HomeGroup. HomeGroup allows people to connect to PCs on their network and share files, music and photos with the whole family – easily. The Windows 7 Family Pack is an easy and affordable way to get all your PCs in your household running Windows 7 through licensing to install Windows 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs.

The Windows 7 Family Pack will be available starting on October 22nd until supplies last here in the US and other select markets. In the US, the price for the Windows 7 Family Pack will be $149.99 for 3 Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. That’s a savings of more than $200 for three licenses. This is a great value and we’re excited to be able to offer it to customers.

As for home premium,. i need to dig into it more but if it's like vista, you won't get previous versions unless you have business or ultimate. That's a big downer as anytime i messed up my COD4 profile i could restore it right back in seconds.

Now let’s talk about the Windows 7 Family Pack. Last week I confirmed we were doing a family pack for Windows 7 consisting of Windows 7 Home Premium for installation on up to 3 PCs.

I got the family pack deal for Vista - Bought one Ultimate Edition at retail and got 2 Home licenses. It was OK but main drawback is you had to upgrade from XP, and couldn't "really" do a clean install (well, you could in a way, but you needed XP installed first no matter what)

So this time I think I'll just go and purchase OEM versions of Windows 7 for Ultimate and Home Premium.