What Nvidia card next?

Rocky

I hold my hand up here and admit this is a lazy post, however some of you guys have upgraded so might have already researched and have the answer...

I have a 8800GTS G92 512Mb, but I see that the next gen of cards are numbered differently. If I was to upgrade today (say for Arma2 or in readiness for GR4 ), what would be the the next step up from my card? I want to check the sort of price range we are talking about as I am getting a feeling it's maybe not too expensive to upgrade...?

Assuming you want to stay with NVidia, the next step would be a GeForce 9800GT, then the 9800 GTX+. Next would be the gtS 250 and on to the gtX series. In the GTX series you have the 260, 275, 280, 285, and 295.

Hope that helps...

So to step up to the current gen of cards, and get a performance boost would be a GTS250? A quick check shows prices ranging from just under £100 to £130 for that card. That's really not a lot considering I paid a lot more for the 8800GTS. Tempting!

Thanks for the info.

Edit

TomsHardware results

My 8800GTS @ 1680x1050 with AA scores 311

A GTS 250 (1Gb) scores 370. £109

A GTX 280 (1Gb) scores 512 £250

GTX 285 (1Gb) scores 579 £288

and a GTX 295 (2x896) scores a whopping 770 £360

So based on those performance figures the card I would go for next would be the GTX 280, but not at that price! I'll wait a while :shifty:

Look up the GTX 260 or GTX 275...

Might be more of an upgrade for the money...

GTX260 scores a 449 and is �115 after VAT at SCAN.

I would highly consider it before something more expensive.

You are right, that's a nice choice for me. Tx.

Rocky, I would aim at the GTX 285 and not anything less. I guess I am biased in a way, but when I first configured this system, I could have chosen something a bit lesser, but wanting a card almost close to the top, I went with this as I didn't want to have to install a new card any time soon.

I hold my hand up here and admit this is a lazy post, however some of you guys have upgraded so might have already researched and have the answer...

I have a 8800GTS G92 512Mb, but I see that the next gen of cards are numbered differently. If I was to upgrade today (say for Arma2 or in readiness for GR4 ), what would be the the next step up from my card? I want to check the sort of price range we are talking about as I am getting a feeling it's maybe not too expensive to upgrade...?

My 100% advice Rocky " Do not buy a card just yet" the whole market is changing with the NEW 5xxx series from Ati & 300 from Nvidia due November/ December all 100% DX11 which is going to hit big (unlike DX10) Cm have committed 100% to DX11 & so have some other game companies.

I'm doing my upgrade after Windows 7, to 64bit & DX11 100% ! :santa:

I've looked at many cards and there are major disadvantages to buying now, some cards don't carry DX11 hardware others overpriced and in general the two in one solutions like the Nvidia xx5 & Ati X2 series are going to be cheap by November as the market moves.

Truthfully it depends on your price range ( I didn't see one lol)

I like my 8800GTX which i piad 465.00 american for when they 1st came out. I see @ least 2 more years with this ###### as i'm still doing 90 FPS in GRAW2 and over 200 in cod4 with a single card, no sli. The bigger you buy the longer before the next upgrade. With that being said though, i don't go insane. Probably the 285. As for DX11... sure it sounds right but it will be over a year or 2 before games really use it. Look how many use physics.... which is free in 8000 and up cards. Also look @ how many true dx10 games there are. The market is always changing... and outdated the next year if your lucky.

Hi Rocky, I have just done the same upgrade as you are considering...from an 8800GTS for Arma 2 mainly.

I went to a 260 GTX for ~$230 AUD (~$180USD)...I saw a deal where you could get and EVGA one for close to 120 from Dell after mail in rebate.

I can sell my 8800GTS for ~90AUD on eBay making the upgrade cost just $140 AUD.

While it was "playable" on the 8800, the level of detail was such that it reduced my enjoyment to an uncomfortable level. I found ARMA 2 (and all ranged shooters - GRAW included) to be a game style that greatly benefits from the highest possible levels of detail (and naturally still with an acceptable frame rate).

So for 1680x1050 I would suggest no real need to go higher than a 260 GTX. Yes, you'll get better synthetic benchmarks, (assuming your CPU is up to it), but little in game improvement.

I have all ARMA settings on the highest level (High/Very high) with 2.5k distance and am playing on a 22" monitor....but I have overclocked it a bit (I get ~18,000 3DMark06 up from I think ~16000 stock. But that's on a E8400 oc'd to4Ghz.

For this kind of money/performance/playability return, IMHO it's an easy decision. Buy the 260 GTX.

Viiper, from my reading, the 300 range will be a Jan/Feb release and decent volumes of DX11 games will be some time away still. And like all new releases, yes the old version will be cheap, but the new will be expensive.

Cpl Ledanek, re. PSU's, a quality 550W is certainly enough for the 260, 275 and likely for the 285...but be more comfortable with a 600W for the 285 & 295. I have a TruPower 550 for my 260GTX.

Dav.

I think Pave is on ARMA watch :()

Cpl Ledanek, re. PSU's, a quality 550W is certainly enough for the 260, 275 and likely for the 285...but be more comfortable with a 600W for the 285 & 295. I have a TruPower 550 for my 260GTX.

I have this Silverstone SST-ST65ZF

170W combined +12V 42A/504W(Peak : 45A/540W)

Input Voltage 103V ~ 264V (Auto Range)

Input Frequency Range 47Hz ~ 63Hz

PFC Active PFC (PF>0.95 at full load)

Efficiency 75.80%

1 x 24-pin motherboard connector (550mm)

1 x 8-pin EPS12V connector (550mm)

1 x 8-pin EPS12V to 4-pin ATX12V adapter (150mm)

1 x 6-pin AUX connector (550mm)

4 x dual 6-pin PCI-E connector (550mm)

2 x dual SATA connector (500mm +250mm)

2 x triple 4-pin IDE & single floppy power connectors

(500mm + 250mm + 150mm + 150mm)

Is this ok to upgrade? :unsure:

If you go with a GTX, see if it requires 2 power connectors and if so, ensure your PSU has enough of them to plug into the card.

Unfortunately, my eyes caught this GeForce GTX 285 2GB FTW 02G-P3-1187-AR and it does require two just like my eVGA 8800 768 GTX...so I guess I'm ok on the vid department.

I have 2 HDs (one for OS and other for apps) two external USB/e-SATA HD for backups (has their own PSU) but one is not permanently on.

TOYS!....we want them...we can't afford them <_<

• 3 weeks later...

/zombie thread arise!

A little late to the party, but in regards to the upgrade, a 9800GT is a rebranded 8800GT with a few minor tweaks. The GTS 250 is a rehashed 9800GTX+ (which is a die shrunk version of the 9800GTX, which is a rehashed 8800GTS), each "upgrade" with a few changes here and there. So basically the 9800GT is roughly the same as a 8800GT, while the GTS 250/9800GTX+/9800GTX/8800GTS are all so close to being the same card it's not even funny (thank you nVidia for you horrible naming schemes again!). If you were to upgrade from any 8800 series card don't waste your money unless you're going to a GTX 260 (only the ones with 216 stream processors, the 192 versions aren't worth the small drop in price) or higher. Unless you don't mind throwing money away for a very small FPS increase, then by all means :)

And Ledanek, FYI about EVGAs Step-Up program, you can only get reference cards. So no matter what card you get, the current crop means only a 1GB GTX 285 at stock clocks. I'd get the lowest priced one and just overclock it while saving yourself $100 for extra VRAM you wouldn't use most likely anyway.