ARMA2 vs Ghost Recon 4

What I don't like about Arma1/2 demo's are that they're so involving, ie, I don't want to build field hospitals etc, but I do want to play a tactical game, and thats where GRAW2006/7 are superior.

GRAW is nothing like COD4, so I don't see why we have to move GRAW towards the realism and tinkerism of Arma2.

Calling GRAW tactical in any sense is like calling a Volkswagen Beetle equal to a Porsche. People want GRAW to move back toward realism because that's what drew them to Ghost Recon in the first place. GRAW is utter rubbish in comparison to its legacy: Ghost Recon, Rogue Spear, and Rainbow Six. GRAW is just as linear as CoD4, IMO. At least CoD4 has nice graphics, and doesn't bog you down with needless gadgetry.

Any chance that maybe they're just different types of tac-shooters?

Absolutely spot on.

GR is an INFANTRY based tactical shooter that is STILL the benchmark to aim for for this type of game.

ArmA I/II is a jack of all trades (and unfortunately a master of none). It's not until you get into the editor that you start to realise the limitations of the game and all the bugs.

Until the ACE II mod comes out I will also only be playing ArmA II for laughs.

What I don't like about Arma1/2 demo's are that they're so involving, ie, I don't want to build field hospitals etc, but I do want to play a tactical game, and thats where GRAW2006/7 are superior.

GRAW is nothing like COD4, so I don't see why we have to move GRAW towards the realism and tinkerism of Arma2.

Calling GRAW tactical in any sense is like calling a Volkswagen Beetle equal to a Porsche. People want GRAW to move back toward realism because that's what drew them to Ghost Recon in the first place. GRAW is utter rubbish in comparison to its legacy: Ghost Recon, Rogue Spear, and Rainbow Six. GRAW is just as linear as CoD4, IMO. At least CoD4 has nice graphics, and doesn't bog you down with needless gadgetry.

I played GRAW tactically with my old mates and after one hour I was exhausted it wasn't the norm but it was doable. I'm loving Arma2 but the peeps I'm playing with have only achieved the same level one time. It's all about the peeps you play with.

While there are a few too many keys in Arma2 - most of them dont need to be used and the ones that do are quickly remembered and actually add to the tactical aspect of the game.

GR was brilliant no doubt - I wouldnt have played it for so many years if it wasnt - but Arma2 not Arma is very polished and an advanced GR for mine.

I am quietly confident that OFP:DR will be the new GR though - the look and gameplay is very Ghost Recon with the advanced graffix you were all hoping for.

I will spend my time playing that and Arma2

• 4 weeks later...

ARMA2 vs Ghost Recon 4, will GR4 be able to compete with ARMA2?

Installed patch 1.4 this morning at last, and played some games all day today.

Sry but this is the buggiest, most unstable game I have. It will be a sad state of affairs if GR4 cannot compete, or even wipe the floor with this game.

:(

If Ghost Recon 4 is anything less than ARMA 2. Im done with GR. cant wait to get ARMA2.

[video removed (as already covered HERE]

by the way, anybody remember the name of the game (trainer) that came out around 2002-2003ish? it was based on Operation Flashpoint but I think the game (trainer) in question came in modules that you had to pay for individually. also, wasnt it for military use only?

thnx.

I would hope it is 10000 times better than ArmA series.

ArmA 2 is a pile of junk. Wait til its 10 bucks in the bargain bin. Grab Arma Gold Edition now its 10 bucks in most bargain bins and worth it.

As for the Trainer games It's called VBS1 or Virtual Battle Space and it IS Operation Flashpoint. If you really wanna get a good version of anything Bohemia put out then I suggest get OFP game of the year edition and grab a couple mods like FFUR or WW4 or MCM all those make the game awesome and in my opinion crapped all over ArmA. ArmA looked good but gameplay wise OFP is still better. I say grab any of the FFUR mods and play em. You will be impressed.

Edited by twcrash

I took ARMA and ARMA2 back and traded them in today, I only got £14 for them both :wall:

You mean there is still somewere that will trade used PC games ? Most places round hear would not touch them with a 2mtr cattle prod :nono: Complain about not being able to re-sell them because of CD-key issues and such like

Sry little off topic

If you really wanna get a good version of anything Bohemia put out then I suggest get OFP

LOL

I actually had 2 copys of OFP1 on my shelf for 4-5 years, never played it. Just posted 1 to a freind, going to give it a try for sure. Would be nice to see why so many are not happy with DR, which I am pretty happy with at present, from a coop side of course.

I took ARMA and ARMA2 back and traded them in today, I only got £14 for them both :wall:

You mean there is still somewere that will trade used PC games ? Most places round hear would not touch them with a 2mtr cattle prod :nono: Complain about not being able to re-sell them because of CD-key issues and such like

it was gamestatipn but yeh they did kind of make me jump a few hoops first. They have a card specifically for trade ins now, in addition to their geddit card. So I had to sign up for that with my full address, I got the impression they were going to hunt me down if my 50p trade on game didn't load , yeh right!

I took ARMA and ARMA2 back and traded them in today, I only got £14 for them both

Im shocked and stunned :blink:

I moved from Ghost Recon (loved that to death) to Arma1 then Arma2 and I wont ever really change back.

Arma1/2 are the sandbox that I got introduced to via Ghost Recon and then some. When I realised I could knock up missions and scenarios that blew me away in Ghost Recon pretty easy with a few scripts, that was it for me.

I cant see the relation to GRAW onwards to Arma2 .. bit like the current Dragon Rising V Arma2 thing, both are nearly comic books in comparison to what you can actually have and do with arma, totally open book.

It got with me that GRAW onward entered into this tech war console aspect that I hated from early on when info was spilling out about GRAW1. Turned me off completely and I though GRAW onwards was a limp link to Ghost Recon much like OFP is to OFP:DR.

I think if you play Arma1/2 and run the campaign and simply compare that to the other games it does fail in a way, but its a cliche as its not really about the campaign its about getting your hands on some lego and going DIY all the way.

Its funny becuase even though the scope of Arma1/2 are big I'm always ending up going back to my Ghost Recon roots and havering 6 men teams taking out patrols, like tango hunt in Ghost Recon. Only in Arma I can set it up on a massive island and ferry myself around with vehicles of choice, plus use paroling scripts that are random pathways and random on mission start, totally non linear goodness :D And you can blame Ghost Recon for that, it was that game that introduced me to the phrases "non linear gaming" - "open ended" and "modding" :)

Funny its Ghost Recon that made me turn away from the GRAW series and move to Arma.

I will keep my eye on GR4 and see what comes, but I think Arma kind of grabbed me with want I wanted more of from Ghost Recon which didn't come with GRAW+. And it might be hard becuase I compare a lot to Ghost Recon/Arma1+2.

Anyway to answer the threads main question, my answer would be:

"looking at how the franchise went after Ghost Recon and looking at how OFP:DR did ... I dont think they can compete or compare to be honest".

Like I said I would hope anyone vuilding a game would do a better job than Bohemia. Also Blackfoot Studios posted a blurb on their site that if you ever see GB or SkyGods you'll be lucky basically. You will see Duke Nukem Forever before either title.

• 2 weeks later...
I took ARMA and ARMA2 back and traded them in today

Hmmm, my question would be then how are you getting your military combat jollies? Or are you being "combat-celibate"? I just wonder because the selection of such games is so limited and we all know what they are.

I moved from Ghost Recon (loved that to death) to Arma1 then Arma2 and I wont ever really change back.

Arma1/2 are the sandbox that I got introduced to via Ghost Recon and then some. When I realised I could knock up missions and scenarios that blew me away in Ghost Recon pretty easy with a few scripts, that was it for me.

I cant see the relation to GRAW onwards to Arma2 .. bit like the current Dragon Rising V Arma2 thing, both are nearly comic books in comparison to what you can actually have and do with arma, totally open book.

It got with me that GRAW onward entered into this tech war console aspect that I hated from early on when info was spilling out about GRAW1. Turned me off completely and I though GRAW onwards was a limp link to Ghost Recon much like OFP is to OFP:DR.

I think if you play Arma1/2 and run the campaign and simply compare that to the other games it does fail in a way, but its a cliche as its not really about the campaign its about getting your hands on some lego and going DIY all the way.

Its funny becuase even though the scope of Arma1/2 are big I'm always ending up going back to my Ghost Recon roots and havering 6 men teams taking out patrols, like tango hunt in Ghost Recon. Only in Arma I can set it up on a massive island and ferry myself around with vehicles of choice, plus use paroling scripts that are random pathways and random on mission start, totally non linear goodness And you can blame Ghost Recon for that, it was that game that introduced me to the phrases "non linear gaming" - "open ended" and "modding"

Funny its Ghost Recon that made me turn away from the GRAW series and move to Arma.

I will keep my eye on GR4 and see what comes, but I think Arma kind of grabbed me with want I wanted more of from Ghost Recon which didn't come with GRAW+. And it might be hard becuase I compare a lot to Ghost Recon/Arma1+2.

I don't think it would be possible for me to agree more with all your points.

IMHO, Arma is a fantastic game in terms of gameplay and the ability to significantly alter missions with only the most rudimentary editing skills (I know this personally). I enjoy phenomenal solo-coop missions with it where the gameplay sometimes feels like you're in a movie.

Arma 2, visually, is a mess. To me it looks like someone puked on my screen. I won't go into the whole extremely low detail LOD vegetation problems and the insane texture-popping or whatever you want to call it. Performance is a joke. It is buggy which I don't mind. My biggest beef with it is that my AI mates are complete idiots. I don't experience firefights in Arma 2. My men just sit there and get slaughtered - every time I play. So I shelved it.

Regarding Dragon Rising...based on what I've read, the game is quite the mess. Not something anyone needs to be concerned about.

But enough of the critiques...

I think it's always a slippery slope to compare any of these games.

I hope GR4 gets back to GR basics and drops all the tech. IMHO, the only "tech" the game should have are NVGs - and that's it. No drones, no robots, no flying saucers. If it does, I'll definitely pick it up.

I just played an awesome mission in Arma where you take an RHIB to shore at night (using NVGs) and you have to infiltrate a tiny crossroads-town and blow a weapons cache. It had Ghost Recon written all over it.

But in reality Arma 1/2 are big, open-field shooters. GR4 will be, I hope, quite different.

My biggest concern with Ubi at the helm is that in GR4, SOP will be to do a forward-diving roll, flicking on thermal vision as you're rolling, come right up to a perfect shooting stance, wax an Opfor, and then blind-fire around a corner to take out his buddy. :D

And ironically enough, I wouldn't have shown up here today if it wasn't for the spam PM I got from some gr.net member - LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

GR4 wont be anywhere near as good as Arma2 or Operation Arrowhead...period.

Predicts a few less bugs.

:shifty:

*EDIT*

Arma 2 you where unable to finish the main campaign for at least 3 months? Patch 1.3 fix this? How about the thousands upon thousands that just buy a game for the SP? Maybe they do not even have interntet, what they do with this from here? Lose interest fast. Buy another game. < Can be profitable in a way, lol.

Are the paying customers still playing guinie pig and beta testing, just to iron out a shed load of bugs, after 6 months?

I would contribute to a company like this, monthly, if they released a (close as can get) polished game.

I do hold a lot of respect for them to how they support Arma in general.

OFP: DR played straight out of the box, SP and CoOp. No issues with not having dedi`s, but I do respect other`s, for being upset about them not being present.

Probably a large propotion of them would be very happy with this game, if they where included. But that`s another topic really.

63 entity limit is a downfall, tbh, but is not exactly hard to script any kind of mission, with unlimited anything, if done correct. You can do it on a GR1 map, with only 400 x 400 to use.

Triggers work, the tether (don`t like it myself) helps to keep the villages populated.

8 Man CoOp would be best though, for this game.

Although, keeping a game running with no connection losses is tough at present.

GRAW2 Mission 3, still CTD if you go in the underground bunkers, shame on UBI. Respect to BIS for there continuous work on patching there games. I will try patch 1.5 for Arma2, when ready. What Grin could of done is never to be known.

GR4 can be what it is. But it is going to be what it is because it says GHOST RECON on it.

Console ports, no dedis, some of this, and some of that....

Just put the Ghost Recon in it, even if we have to mod it because the campaign is all flashy, and new big this and that, just give us our old Ghost Recon back, is all I add to this.

And the fact, comparing Ghost Recon to Arma, is like compairing, buying a motorbike, to buying a car. Some have both, other`s are not so keen on 1 of them.

:)

• 2 months later...

While arma2 is hilariously broken, it's also design-wise a huge breath of fresh air and amazing simulator. If you are playing custom missions by people who know how to script to avoid the game's ######ty, dysfunctional engine, there is nothing like it.

While arma2 is hilariously broken, it's also design-wise a huge breath of fresh air and amazing simulator. If you are playing custom missions by people who know how to script to avoid the game's ######ty, dysfunctional engine, there is nothing like it.

Absolutely, mods / missions are released on a daily basis, if you know how to enjoy Arma 2, its just awesome, there is nothing even remotely near from it.

It's simple Those that do not like it and have played it only played in the begining, it can be a very tactical game

if allowed or you can jump in the run and gun servers of which many that don't like it has. (We have played both)

It's like this : If I cook fish and you have never had it and the fish is not fresh and was cooked way too long the taste will be awfull but if I prepare Fresh Salmon on the grille served on a bed of rice it will taste like a steak.

Your game was undercooked and you never gave it a chance!!!

I was doubtfull about arma 2 at first as I tried one of the battlefield games and didn't like the vehicles messing up my game of foot soldiering.

I have become an ARMA 2 fan with one restriction. I only play that game when I at least have 3 hours of gaming ahead. I cannot find much fun in jumping in halfway a mission with no update on target status, and other tac info. With that said I only play tac dom at the moment. during the weke I try to find friends either in MW2 and COD4 MW2 only because I havent finished ranking up, hate that game otherwise....

I would love to see a different map in arma, with mor door to door combat (you can open/close doors in ARMA thats a feature I missed in every game since Ghost Recon! I still see a lot of potential in that game as modders work hard to bring it....