'Safely Remove Hardware' Icon

I really wouldn't bother worrying about it, just leave it be, you wouldn't gain anything if you could manage to hack the O/S to remove it
You're probably right Pave. I found a forum where some bloke had the same issue and he downloaded some third party 'fix' only to find, although the icon had gone, the application was still running in the background.

DS

I've purchased a few laptops this year and they all have that icon showing up permanently because the Matsu######a DVD burner is "plugged in". Even though the dang DVD burner is "internal" it is considered by the OS as external, and there's just nothing I can do about it so I just leave it.

BTW, why do you want to install a game before you install your sound drivers?

I've purchased a few laptops this year and they all have that icon showing up permanently because the Matsu######a DVD burner is "plugged in". Even though the dang DVD burner is "internal" it is considered by the OS as external, and there's just nothing I can do about it so I just leave it.
That's bad really, considering it's a built system. I'd never seen the icon before, until I bought my laptop. It wasn't on the 98SE OS :D

BTW, why do you want to install a game before you install your sound drivers?
I've got sound coming from the EVGA motherboard. The only thing I've not installed is the sound card. I'm leaving it off until I've got everything up and running as it should be. I didn't want to add more potential issues. I've built it with some basic knowledge as it is. I might even start playing online games again soon.

DS

That's bad really, considering it's a built system. I'd never seen the icon before, until I bought my laptop. It wasn't on the 98SE OS :D

LOL, yes, times and hardware has changed since 10 years ago. 98SE and XP are still my favorite OS's

The whole reason why that "safely remove hardware" is there is mainly to help people not to unplug their memory cards/usb drive etc. in the middle of reading/writing to the computer - which will basically corrupt your data and possibly fry your flash memory. So unlike other things, M$ didn't really put that icon there for an evil reason.

I've got sound coming from the EVGA motherboard. The only thing I've not installed is the sound card.

OK, so you do have sound. That's good. You can't really evaluate games (some don't even run) if you're not playing with sound, as (especially onboard) sound uses CPU cycles - with multicore CPUs these days, onboard sound is not a framerate hit as it might have been years ago. In fact, I have basically been using onboard sound on my last 2 gaming systems (last sound card was the X-Fi) since the industry upgraded from the AC'97 spec to the Intel's newer HD Audio spec

In the end, if you have lousy desktop speakers, you may not get much benefit from a high end sound card anyway.

98SE and XP are still my favorite OS's
I've never had a problem 98SE. It plays my old RTS's a treat. Even GR looks great on it. I didn't get hand on with XP until just over two years ago. Living in the sticks and having no access to high speed, I had more important things to think about back then.

I bought the X-Fi Titanium and I'm looking at Logitech's 5500's or Creative's 750 down the line. My bright green JVC earbuds that I found at an airport some months ago work well for now. :lol:

DS

Here's the question and answer between EVGA and myself;

Question (6/23/2009 10:31:09 AM): The card readers are built into the case. They are connected to the mother board inside the case with a nine pin header and a four pin header. I have no cards in any of the card readers but the icon is in the task bar. When I right click on the icon it shows the four card readers as designated drives I, J, K, L. Why is the icon showing if there are no cards in any reader?

Answered (6/24/2009 4:42:21 AM): This is caused by the handling of the card slots. You got a device which shows any drive on the workplace regarless of if its loaded or not. The drive removal option checks which removable drives are on the workplace.

Is that an 'answer'?

DS