Lighting Inconsistencies - Buildings Look Odd

OK, so it didn't take me long to post some issues, mainly around ambient points, lightmaps and such. Here is a visulization of the problems with my Tactical House Building:

tac-01.jpg

As you can see, the front (left) half of the building is lighted appropriately and the right half looks too dark.

tac-02.jpg

However, inside on the left half that was looking OK, is illuminated and looks completely silly

tac-03.jpg

The right side internally blends with the internal walls. Now this is how I would like the majority of the inside to look, but it is still too dark.

tac-04.jpg

Around the rear of the building, there are some erroneous shadows that should not be there and the back of the building is too dark.

In MAX

- I have 4 objects: The external walls, Floors & Ceilings, !st Floor internal walls and 2nd floor internal walls

- I've created ambient points (dummies called "ambient01", "ambient02", and so on) throughout the inside of the map as well as als adding ambient dummies within the editor to make it lighter

- The Floors & Ceilings I used a planar UVW map and it is still almost black, even the roof

- All other objects I put an UVW Box map

- As instructed, my modifier stack begins with

--- Boolean (the initial object)

--- XForm

--- Edit Mesh - to attach all of the subordinate meshes

--- XForm again

--- UVW Map

--- Unwrap UVW to channel 4

- At this point, I would link to the root_point dummy

- During export to the diesel file, I have tried both with the materials.xml and without with no apparent difference. These pics were taken without exporting with a materials.xml. Note, I did not have any errors during export.

Here is my tac_house01.xml:

<dynamic_object xmlns:xi="x">

<diesel file="/data/objects/world/tac_house01/tac_house01.diesel" materials="/data/objects/world/tac_house01/materials.xml" orientation_object="root_point"/>

<lightmap>

<object name="gfx_walls" height="512" width="512"/> {Note that I've tried 64, 128, 256 & 512 for each of these}

<object name="gfx_inner_walls1" height="512" width="512"/>

<object name="gfx_inner_walls2" height="512" width="512"/>

<object name="gfx_tac_house01_floor" height="512" width="512"/>

</lightmap>

<decal_surfaces static = "true">

<ds_mesh object="gfx_walls" material="wood" hidden="false" />

<ds_mesh object="gfx_inner_walls1" material="wood" hidden="false" />

<ds_mesh object="gfx_inner_walls2" material="wood" hidden="false" />

<ds_mesh object="gfx_tac_house01_floor" material="stone" hidden="false" />

</decal_surfaces>

<body editable="true" name="bogie_tac_house01" tag="stone" template="static">

<object name="root_point"/>

<object collision_type="mesh_mopp" shadow_caster="true" name="gfx_walls" material="wood_planks" hidden="false" />

<object collision_type="mesh_mopp" shadow_caster="true" name="gfx_inner_walls1" material="wood_shack" hidden="false" />

<object collision_type="mesh_mopp" shadow_caster="true" name="gfx_inner_walls2" material="wood_shack" hidden="false" />

<object collision_type="mesh_mopp" shadow_caster="true" name="gfx_tac_house01_floor" material="Concrete_Cement" hidden="false" />

</body>

</dynamic_object>

Here is my material.xml

<materials>

<xi:include href="/data/settings/palett.xml#xpointer(/include/juarez_colors/*)"/>

<!--DECALS-->

<material name="none" decal_material="none"/>

<material name="concrete" decal_material="concrete"/>

<material name="container" decal_material="container"/>

<material name="glass" src="decal_cube" decal_material="glass"/>

<material name="metal" decal_material="metal"/>

<material name="metal_none" decal_material="metal_none"/>

<material name="plaster" decal_material="plaster"/>

<material name="sheet_metal" decal_material="sheet_metal"/>

<material name="stone" decal_material="stone"/>

<material name="wood" decal_material="wood"/>

<material name="glass_none" src="decal_cube" decal_material="glass_none"/>

<material name="wood_planks" src="bump_lightmap" decal_material="wood">

<diffuse_texture file="arroyo_wood_planks_xy_df"/>

<bump_normal_texture file="arroyo_wood_planks_xy_bm"/>

</material>

<material name="wood_shack" src="bump_lightmap" decal_material="wood">

<diffuse_texture file="arroyo_wood_shack_xy_df"/>

<bump_normal_texture file="arroyo_wood_shack_xy_bm"/>

</material>

<material name="Concrete_Cement" src="bump_lightmap" decal_material="concrete">

<diffuse_texture file="GRYCON3"/>

<bump_normal_texture file="GRYCON3_bm"/>

</material>

</materials>

Here is my u_tac_house01.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<units>

<unit type="static" name="bogie_tac_house01" slot="15">

<model file="\world\tac_house01\tac_house01.xml"/>

<script_class name="base" class="Base"/>

<script_class name="editor" class="Editor"/>

<stats block="base_data">

<var name="lightmap" value="true"/>

<var name="ambient_points" value="true"/>

</stats>

<xi:include href="/data/units/mass.xml#xpointer(/mass/mass_building_medium/*)"/>

</unit>

</units>

I also have the standard atlas_world directories with the bump and diffuse direcories as well as the custom textures directory with the proper tdb_texture_set.xml. Also have them all included within the texture scope.

So is there anything that I am just completely missing and\or should modify to display the appropriate lighting?

Should I include the ambient point dummies within max? I tried with and without with no apparent differences.

Is there a significant difference within GRAW2 between the different UVW types (planar, box, etc.) and how the props are displayed? Should I be mapping each face of every mesh?

I looked at several different props, landscapes and buildings that all of you masters have done here and cannot seem to find what is occuring. Any assistance would be wonderful!

Note that I did zip up my testing playground and can make available to map modders only. Just give me a PM or post here in this forum and I'll send you the link & password. I'll be traveling and at a conference for the next 6 days in the scorchingly hot Arizona, but I'll still check in when I get the opportunity.

Hi Mate, What map base is it. Is it a graw map or a new map base. If it's a graw map base, have a look at your texture_scope. In the scope you'll have two or more light maps that the map is laoding.

You just need yours and remove the rest.

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_rs"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map/lightmaps"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map/silhouettes/sil"/>

<sierra>

<texture_set name="lightmaps/sierra"/> remove

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_ghetto"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_industrial"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_ground_juarez"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_terrain/atlas_terrain_juarez/"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_silhouettes/atlas_mission01_sil"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_mission_specific/mission01"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_props"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_plants"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_brush"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_general"/>

</sierra>

<ogr_dam>

<texture_set name="lightmaps/ogr_dam"/> remove

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_dam"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_ground_dam"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_terrain/atlas_terrain_dam/"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_silhouettes/atlas_mission09_sil"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_mission_specific/mission09"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_props"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_plants"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_brush"/>

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_general"/>

</ogr_dam>

Rad... :hehe:

Hello Radiator - Thanks for the response. I don't have the code in front of me at the moment; however, I do know that the custom maps for the new building were the textures from the Arroyo buildings (which I directly linked to the actual dds files). At this time, I've only included the city, arroyo and industrial as well as my own custom textures from MAX in the texture scope.

The only reason that I have the city is that I've put prop markers for the various trigger points during testing in the playground. Everything else including the landscape is custom made in MAX.

<texture_set name="atlas_world/atlas_rs"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map/lightmaps"/>

<texture_set name="custom_levels/your_map/silhouettes/sil"/>

I have these except for the silhouettes which I did not create yet; only the lightmaps. When I get home I will have them created. In the past, when I've tried to generate the silhouettes (from other maps) only the directories were created and no additional maps. Is there an object, dummy... that I need to create in MAX for these references? What about coverpoints?

Thanks again!! Believe me, this is a huge help!

Galor' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:07 AM' post='538700']

It is possible that my problem with the map "Estacion_de_com_v2" is the same as yours.

Unfortunately I can not help you, as none of the tests I've done, they've solved :unsure:

After having read your thread, it is quite possible this could be the same issue. Perhaps having a new set of eyes looking at the problem could help. If I find anything, I will certainly get back with you.

May have to invoke the spirit of.....GRIN_Wolfsong?

Dav.

Perhaps if I chant loudly enough in my boxers around a campfire he shall appear :FIREdevil: However, I've had a few days to think about the issues and, now that I am back, am moving forward a full steam with a new set of ideas.

"I doubt, therefore I might be", but I will not give up!! We need refreshing props and buildings distributed to the community!!

Bogie

"I doubt, therefore I might be", but I will not give up!! We need refreshing props and buildings distributed to the community!!

SWEET! Mate we do need this and what a combo.

Can not wait to see what you make and also to learn from you how it's done.

Dav

Hi all!!

The truth is that the issue of texture and render this editor is crazy :wacko:

I still can not finish the map "Estacion_de_com_v2" by the problem that you already know.

I also have stopped this project for months, set in a small town in Arabic, using as base the theme of the movie "Blackhawk Down".

blackhawkdown.th.jpg

The problem? that only the textures and the model of the central buildings of the image (which has many pillars, which has many windows and two more), generated a .bundle over 100Mb!

Anyway, I hope to someday be able to finish it ...

blackhawkdown1.th.jpg

Edited by [HI]Galor

Hi

galor the problem is maybe that u have done the uv in sketchup and export it to max.

That maybe explain the dubblesided faces in the graw editor i seen.

The blue sides in sketchup what u have on the roof of that building and some pillars is backfaces so u have to

do a "reverse face" on thouse or otherwise theres no wisible texture in game until they stands under it or inside

whats u dont want.

Galor' date='May 1 2009, 08:48 AM' post='538820']

I also have stopped this project for months, set in a small town in Arabic, using as base the theme of the movie "Blackhawk Down".

The problem? that only the textures and the model of the central buildings of the image (which has many pillars, which has many windows and two more), generated a .bundle over 100Mb!

Anyway, I hope to someday be able to finish it ...

WOW! I do hope that you are able to finish it as this looks very unique that the community would just love in all GRAW2 game types!

I realized early on that the custom textures that I have collected for MAX over the years would increase the bundle sizes tremendously. So what I've done was actually take a few of the the GRAW2 textures, convert them back to TGA, create these textures within the Material Editor of MAX, and then with the buildings, just reference back to the original paths in GRAW2. Therefore, I still have the original GRAW2 textures that come with the original game and keeps the bundle size down.

Also am aware of the poly count within MAX to assure that I don't go overboard with smoothing and such. I've had a few props that I smoothed out too much which 'I believe' is causing some issues with the player being able to walk right through them.

Hi

galor the problem is maybe that u have done the uv in sketchup and export it to max.

That maybe explain the dubblesided faces in the graw editor i seen.

The blue sides in sketchup what u have on the roof of that building and some pillars is backfaces so u have to

do a "reverse face" on thouse or otherwise theres no wisible texture in game until they stands under it or inside

whats u dont want.

I've seen the term "sketchup" a few times and am not familiar with the term. Is this a sketching program or utility that comes with MAX 8 that allows you 3 dimemtionalize your drawings? Or is this a graphics process that you are using? I only have a license for MAX 7 and didn't see any references within the materials.

Thanks,

Bogie

Hi bogie

Google Sketchup is a another 3d program what is great to modeling anything what have a square shape as houses and stuffs like that

it works like max inset and extrude.

But i have not found it good for lanscapes or do uv what u must do in 3ds.

there is a trialversion of sketchup if u want to try.