Intel Core i7

Dick Splash

Only individual I know on these boards (or anywhere so far for that matter) with an i7 so far is WK - ask him for his first-hand experience :thumbsup:

I have an i7 920. The system eats video encoding for breakfast, runs Crysis like it's childs play and can easily handle 30+ cars in iRacing with max graphics. The downsides are that it gets very hot and to be on the safe side I've upped the case fan speeds from what they were on my old build. So the system is a bit louder, but that's ok. I'm happy with it.

I've got an Asus P6T, 6GB of Corsair XMS3 DDR 3 (only using 3GB under XP), a Sapphire 4870 1GB, an Audigy 2 ZS that carried over (for the gameport so I can use my TSW), my 80GB Raptor (which also carried over) and a 640GB Caviar Black, all powered by a 620 Watt Corsair PSU. I'm also still using my 20" Dell, great monitor. :thumbsup:

VERY nice! Triple-channel memory was a pretty interesting development for the i7, will be really cool once you upgrade to a 64-bit OS (Windows 7 looks promising ...) that can use all 6 gigs of RAM :thumbsup:

Ah, and the Raptors are nice - I still have two old 74GB Raptors kicking around in my old P4 system, and I'll probably pop one of them into a new rig too :)

I'm a fan of Corsair RAM too (in my last 2 builds) and was also looking into Corsair PSUs if they make them as well as their RAM (I previously went with Antec PSUs). How do you like the Corsair PSU? I'm impressed that 620W is enough for the ATI card plus the i7.

A customer just bought an I7 extreme edition... i took a ton of pics as the whole pc without the GTX 295 was 4600.00. He has a sas drive and a raptor in it, and blueray. Thermaltake case and thermaltake 1200 watt power supply. He wanted corsair 6gb tripple channel and it came with a fan mount for the ram.

As soon as i get a chance to get the pic's up i'll link you.

Oh and yes i tried to talk him out of the 1200.00 extreme edition 965... but he wouldn't budge lol! The stock fan that came with it i think was completely copper.

Whoa, must have been a pleasure to build hehe :)

What was he planning to play on that thing?

Just curious - if you want to play Blu-Ray movies on your computer, what software/decoder would you use? Is it built-in into Vista?

Whoa, must have been a pleasure to build hehe :)

What was he planning to play on that thing?

Just curious - if you want to play Blu-Ray movies on your computer, what software/decoder would you use? Is it built-in into Vista?

Flight sims... of all things

Not built in... and the OEM LG he got had no software... luckily ULEAD burning program came with one of his other hardware devices which will burn them and ... i installed K-lite which is a codec pack that says they will play them. I didn't have a blueray to test it with though... i did tell him though. He can buy powerdvd ultra if it doesn't work.

Was a very fun build... gonna offload some of the pics tonight.