[First Mission, Cave reinforcements ?]

Question...

I haven't had time to play this much since I've got it but I've finally cleared out the camp in the 1st level (lost 1 guy) and I am ready to clear out the cave. I'm able to clear out the cave but then I get my butt kicked by a bunch of guys who are right outside the cave all of a sudden. Are these guys hiding somewhere that I can take them out before going into the cave or do they just spawn once you complete the objective in the cave?

Thanks!

Sometimes when you're stuck on a mission in GR, Desert Siege, or Island Thunder, it might be worth a shot taking a look at the strategies listed in the "walkthroughs" section here at GRnet. The link is here.

When you mention the camp, are you referring to the tent camp on the right side of the map, or the group of enemies near the small shack on the left side of the map?

**** SPOILER ALERT - Possible spoiler information follows ********

The enemy AI in the tent camp (where the yellow objective waypoint is on the right side of the map) is there to reinforce the caves if they are attacked. If you attack the cave first, then the enemy there radios for help from the tent camp and they come running from the right. Likewise, the enemy at the left side near the shack does the same from the left, moving quickly up the hill.

My usual strategy is to hit the enemy at the lower middle of the map first, including the machine gunner on the cliff at the center of the map; then move on to take out the enemy by the shack; and then move on towards the tent camp, saving the caves for last.

When you head inside the caves, take out everyone with a rifle. The general you're trying to capture has a handgun and will use it on your team, and he won't surrender if there are any other guards there to assist. If all the guards are down, he'll surrender. Run up to him (bump into him) and he'll be captured. Don't forget that you've got to get him down the extraction zone, and also don't forget that you may not have gotten all the enemies out there. If radio contact is lost between all three locations (shack, camp, and caves) patrols may be sent out from other locations to investigate.

Thanks Guys. I had not seen that little shack so I cleared it out before going into the cave & that worked!

The best part was I then expected a nice casual jog back to the pick up point. I had no idea that there would be so many news guys strolling around. I had one team pinned behind a rock getting killed every time they came around it but I was unable to see the bad guys. Eventually I had to sneak my sniper around to the other side to finally find the 2 guys and finish them off. That was pure gaming gold!

Can't wait to play level 2!

Edited by ziggle

The threat indicator is a game killer. Totally alters the way you move about the mission; you should always feel like you must guard all directions, at least somewhat. Obvioulsy not so much an area you have cleared, but even so you should have to trust your own judgement whether or not you have thoroughly swept an area.

One of the worst things about graw is the game basically telling you when you have eliminated all opposision in an area, then "allowing" you to continue on.

Oh, and stone bell, yeah, tough to keep your A.I. guys and the NATO troops alive. Easily the most frustrating mission in GR. I don't even play it anymore, lol. I've counted the enemies too, there are two million twenty four on that one.

Edited by doubletap

Oh, and stone bell, yeah, tough to keep your A.I. guys and the NATO troops alive. Easily the most frustrating mission in GR. I don't even play it anymore, lol. I've counted the enemies too, there are two million twenty four on that one.

You mean I missed one? Actually I found the hardest thing for me was the tanks. Yes, I lost people and even the UN forces, but the tanks were killers for me and I must have died a dozen times before I finally got one. Then I did a whoopie dance and lost my demo man with the second tank in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Funny you should say that, Stone Bell is the level that made the game for me. The easiest way is to have three assault units in Alpha, a support and demo in Bravo and a sniper in Charlie. Leave Charlie at the NATO camp facing south-south west (if I remember correctly) for the majority of the game as Alpha and Bravo take out the two patrols and meet up back at the NATO camp. Keep Charlie where he is, as several soldiers will try to flank you and send your demo man alone to just within range of the tanks. Take them out quickly and slowly send Alpha and Bravo plowing through the enemy. Great fun :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first Ghost Recon mission still stands out to me as one of the most amazing video game maps that I've played. The area feels so large and so expansive, and yet it's less than 400m x 400m in size. Red Storm had a real knack for making the world feel so big, and then making it so dangerous.