Video of Heli Insertions for Players on the wiki

davros

Hi Folks,

Radiator has been working very hard on his new map, and I had the pleasure to get a walkthrough of it by him today. It's an absolute cracker!

It's a player vs player map and is a worthy sequel to his Heavy Down map/mission. It combines a number of elements from the different game types into one. It's really great and has many elements that have never been done in GRAW ...but I won't spoil the surprise. He'll post the details and perhaps a beta in a week or so once the current round of testing is complete.

What I (we) do want to show you is the insertion method. He's using heicopters n6135r0.gifand trucks to insert the teams...and it works a treat. :yes:

Take a look at the following short video and you'll get an idea how it works.

Heli Insertions on Radiators new map

Note that I have added the AI for effect :o= ...this is a PvP map, so ordinarily there would be other players...and added just a few too many so I died alot making this video!

Dav

PS. Rad, I decided to use heli_event_a after all...as I wanted to keep the clip short and save some surprises re. the map layout and heli routes for later. Hope that's ok.

Good vid Davros. :thumbsup:

Have some vehicle descriptions that maybe wrong <_< , only had a quick run through them?

These all seem to work:

pickup_loy_vehicle

pickup_merc_vehicle

blackhawk

Cannot fit in / Fall to death on insert.

mi28

Crash using these:

Hemtt:

data\lib\units\types\beings\mods_human\ghostaidriver.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\types\beings\human.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\transport.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\transport.dsf(0)

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(0)

m1078_resupply

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(-1): cant find member: transport in type <Unit>

SCRIPT STACK:

data\lib\units\extensions\groupunit.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\campaignmanager.dsf(0)

data\lib\script_network\gametype\gametypecampaign.dsf(0)

data\lib\managers\briefingmanager.dsf(0)

To be avoided / Issues with these:

Panhard will transport, but unable to exit vehicle. Added <addon name="enter_exit"/> to the unit but still no luck. Maybe teleport players to a location soon as vehicle stops?

abrams_us loads you into mission, but non functional from there.

mi17 loads you into mission, but non functional from there.

:huh:

Thanks for the research Tinker. Good to know which ones to use and which to avoid.

Re. the Mi17...

Can you explain more about what you mean by "mi17 loads you into mission, but non functional from there."

I wonder if I could add some sort of collision to the inside floor of the chopper to allow you to stand on it if that's the issue? The great thing about the M17 is that it's big enough to fit more than 4 ghosts....hmmmm...worth a go I think.

Galor, my thoughts exactly re. mini-gun. But this would be a mod. and not sure yet how to do this...but will take a look.

Bogie, not to spoil the surprise, but this is the most simple of things to do. No custom code or anything fancy...just get in and fly :) Ah, I do love the way this game continues to surprise and delight....

Pagey, yes, I am confident it'll work in coop.

Dav.

Bogie, not to spoil the surprise, but this is the most simple of things to do. No custom code or anything fancy...just get in and fly :) Ah, I do love the way this game continues to surprise and delight....

Pagey, yes, I am confident it'll work in coop.

Dav.

So how is it coming along? I do have a great way to utilize the Blackhawk Transport in an upcoming coop mission if the coding is ready. Any chance that I can get a hold of the coding to test it out with the coop mission?

Thanks,

Bogie

Hi Bogie, the real "trick" with this is that there is no trick :) There is no coding for this above the "normal" ie. making the heli land and take off/return. It's just that Radiator has done it.

I'd suggest you PM radiator and perhaps he can send you the code segment he used to script the takeoff/landing to make it even easier....he's done a great job of making it look realistic when it lands and flies about.

Also, I'll PM you a link with a sneak peak at his vehicle insertion using pickups...it's almost as cool as the heli's....has some great ingame mood music too.

Dav

G'day all,

As my first comment on RECON.net, just would like to thank him, Davros, Bogie, Brettzy, etc for their stirling effort in making me arrive at work with bloodshot eyes.

Awesome work!

You may notice that this is a copy of a blog I placed on Dav's wiki, and he requested that I repost it here.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Nothing has excited me more though recently than Radiator's work in getting some chopper action into the game. I can see some excellent fun in the combination of Davro's switches in the spawn room, allocating a chopper flyby and insertion of... well... as many sites as can be realistically done. (Heaven help the flyboys if the troops on the ground don't stop the incoming Shilka's arriving over the ridge) {I will be mighty peeved though if I find any Davro's mines in the cabin however, damn critters get everywhere}

So there you have it, my first submission (and subtle wishlist request) - Chopper Insertions at 3 or more locations (with suitable flyby time), maybe some Ride of the Valkyrie music over the NARCOM, and let's go Apocolyptic Now on their sorry arses.

Ronbo

Edited by Ronbo

• 3 months later...

I recall reading about this when it was first posted. Can anyone tell me what's been created along the lines of helicopter missions? I have only downloaded one GRAW 2 mod as of yet as I tend to play GRAW 1 more. But between brettzies weapon mod, the 3rd person weapon view, and the interesting possibilities of choppers that I imagine...GRAW 2 seems like a game I need to explore more.

PS Is it me or is that weapon view in GRAW 1 without a zoom? every time I zoom out the reticule disappears.

Also, are there any clans that use teamspeak for TDM, RVSA, coop etc? I'd like to find a good group, the game isn't nearly as fun without comms and teamwork.

Hi MarkAm_i,

The heli mission is still in the works, why it's taking so long is that I've add some new props, usable computers, keypads, defcon lights, etc.. and I fine tune Dav's button switch. :thumbsup: plus new sounds, the biggest time user was me, working out how the props work or what I can make the props do and the sounds. the sounds was the hardest, tying to make the sounds work as a player sound not a world sound and working out how or the different ways the sounds can be used.

All in all, the whole map was hard :wacko: timers, Ai's, heli's that shoot missiles, computers, keypads , 24 vehicles that transport you to the fight zone and the heli's.

It's like Dav said "the real "trick" with this is that there is no trick There is no coding for this above the "normal" ie. making the heli land and take off/return. It's just that Radiator has done it."

Yes, their was no real tricks , the trick was working around the problem or for me making the game real. instead of walking up to a computer to trigger a heli attack,for me thats not real.but if I walked up to a computer and used the computer, it would be more real. so I made the computer work, the same with the lights. I wanted the lights to be white, push a button and defcon was activated. lights went from white to red. many hours to work out the lights, but at the end, it was so simple. the same for all the props in the map.

It should be soon for the release.

Rad.. ;)

It should be soon for the release.

Rad.. ;)

Very cool, it sounds awesome. Whenever it hits me, the amount of work and effort in all of the GR maps and mods. I begin to enjoy them more than before. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with and no doubt, it can be something for others to build further upon. The wiki system is so cool..GRAWs would be dead without it I imagine.

• 2 months later...

BUT I found a way. :D Sorry for leaving all you in the dark. Work's been a real pain in the back, the wife too. :lol: We just sold off 2 of our businesses, so I've been spending most of my time with the money sucking lawyers. And very little time with the map.

The good news is, I can make all the props work ( Heli's , workable key pads, computers and the magic sounds ). The bad news is they all have a glitch or there is a glitch with another prop. eg.(for the heli to work, played on a dedicated server, you can't enter a vehicle or open any doors???) and ( for the sounds, when I set it up as a player sound , that means if I play a sound and just want a player or a side to hear a sound, it takes out all the original player sounds.)

The way around all of the problems was not making them work properly, but make them work in a different way. That means for eg.. Sounds - instead of have it work as a player sound (one player can hear it) I change the sound to a world sound that everyone can hear it, but changed the sounds value to play in a 1, 5 or a 10 metre radius and in 2d or 3d and so on. The big problem with this was 1. you can't have one off mod (so modder just have to add sounds in there sound folder) 2. making the sound play in a location. eg. I have 6 phone boxes that you have to walk up to, but only one will be working. you make communication with head office, and they talk back with a random of 2 different code words (two different sounds) and when you fire your gun the sounds stop half way through play. I found a way that fault and the others. I can go on and on.

I 've spent over 1000's of hours just on one thing ( key pads or sounds etc..) and I have found a balance for most of my new toys. So everyone can use them.

All in all, yes, the map is so close for a test. :o

I am disappointed Dav, that you gave up on me. :P

Rad......