3rd Person Now In Graw 2

:devil: Let me tell ya this was no easy task. But the results are stunning. Its like a whole new game all over again. Its still shaky in some spots, needs more tweeking here and there. I would like to do a beta test. get some servers up running this.What do you guys think?

What do you guys think. guess-1.jpg

Grab it here

ghostrecon.net

Mirror

Edited by Inzane

Looks fantastic!

IIRC, there were some challenges with this mod. with the reticle/aim point with some of the weapons and also when lying down.

How's this one with that?

Can you post some technocal details of what you changed for this mod. and how you worked through it?

Well done!

Dav

As an aside - I think this should be moved to General Mods. and I suggest you change the pic. to be a link as it' not meetin the forum rules re. pic sizes (IIRC, max. 500 wide).

I will have to gather up my notes, and post my finding. In essence this would be considered a community mod, I learned a little from every person who had attempted it in the past. and anyone who wrote a tut on XML for Graw. So Credits go all over.

There are rets, just not showing up in the screenshot. Those still need to be tweeked.

I believe there will be some issues with other mods. like Brettzies. but its a easy fix. Just trying to come up with the best way to package it all up. and if patchs are needed for other mods, I need their creators permission to do so.

Yes Warcloud it does work in single player. That screen shot was taken in the training mission. It runs well online too. just you have to be in a server using the mod.

davros, I will tell you this engine was a pain to deal with :wall: . It was Brettzies Mod that helped me see the light. So what I found out will also help him correct his issues. and makes patching in for 3rd player view easy. or remove that nasty clipping bug.

What would be the best way of sending this out would be. bundle? open file using the English folder? or both? I built a nice Installer for it. The sooner I get it out, and get folks to playaround with it the better. I am not much of a coder. I am more a 3d modeler. So this will let people fool around with it and inprove on what has been done so far.

Edited by Inzane

Do both. .bundle in Mod. and zipped folder.

I would suggest that you take the same approach as Brettzies did with his mod. and have it in a differene folder name in /local and change the context.xml to point to it (include instructions to change the context.xml) - see his latest weapons mod. for details.

That way you will not "overwrite" anything anyone already has in their /local/English folder already (ie. I have a number of custom mods. in there formy lan team).

Dav.

That looks very impressive, Inzane :thumbsup:

I could certainly assist in the testing from both a custom campaign and coop perspective.

I am not much of a coder. I am more a 3d modeler.

Ever thought of creating custom landscapes? Perhaps similar to like what the training grounds offers or what Whiskey did with the Market map? We have quite a few more coders out there that are starving for new landsapes; especially me looking for a new, larger tactical training type map :notworthy:

Thanks,

Bogie

Looks really cool, I always wanted to try 3rd person in GRAW but never got around to it.

This seemed kind of interesting so I thought I'd try it out. Spent the better part of the day just trying to get a pleasing camera angle. It's a real pain to get a good camera angle that works for both standard and zoomed views. I have two that work pretty well, one takes up more screen space, but seems to be a little more pleasing(tweaked some settings form a GRAW1 mod).

Standard View: coop_crashsite_v2

bp_OTS_01_normal.jpg

Zoomed View: coop_crashsite_v2

bp_OTS_02_zoomed.jpg

There are some issues:

.can't get Mitchell's head to show up, though it seems other's have been able to

.planting c4 is a real pain, I think you can only do it from one spot like this

.not sure what to do about ACOG and SUSAT zooms since zooming in too much defeats the purpose of a 3rd person view and there's no overaly

.running is a bit strange imo

Edited by Brettzies

I think the best thing to do is provide three files for different depths that way people can choose what they like. Personally I like the near zoom with the medium normal, but there's no way to combine them.

Normal view:

bp_OTS_03_normal.jpg

Zoomed view:

bp_OTS_04_zoomed.jpg

For combat and ironsights, I'm going to set the zoom to be the same. For ACOG and Susat I'll push it in far enough where you get something but still enjoy OTS view. Scopes will zoom like they use to, but without the custom rets.

Looks really cool, I Spent the better part of the day just trying to get a pleasing camera angle

Three files for different depths

Cool!, nice 1 Brettzies, your work is much appreciated. I know inzane says he had a tough time with his 3rd person mod.

Thanks again m8.

Cool!, nice 1 Brettzies, your work is much appreciated. I know inzane says he had a tough time with his 3rd person mod.

Thanks again m8.

It's definetly tricky, a lot of trial and error without knowing what the values really do. A very slow process. Plus getting crosshairs to work, etc. Feel free to play around with the settings of course.

I uploaded my version to moddb and put the link on the first post of the v2.* thread. Might not be approved for a while, but here it is: bp weapon pack v2.05.ots

Brettzies, that looks fantastic.

I think Medium near/far is a great compromise...looks fine to me.

This would be a hoot to play with.

It's definetly tricky, a lot of trial and error without knowing what the values really do. A very slow process. Plus getting crosshairs to work, etc. Feel free to play around with the settings of course.

Given this, would it be possible to get a summary of the settings you have discovered and what each of the settings do so we can all use this info. and add to it?

Happy for you to create a page on the playpen-wiki and use that as a shared resource everyone can add to.

See here http://graw2-playpen.pbwiki.com/

Dav

sorry for the delay on getting back to you folks, Real life stuff :wacko: . Brettzies I think we have the same thing. It was your mod that unlocked the idea of how to get the heads to show.So your clipping issue was the key. and I too have the c4 issues. The cam code is based off the codes from Graw 1. I will upload it tonite or sometime tomm, so you folks can try it. As I said before this is a community mods, may people have contributed in some fashion. So I hope people will tweek it and make it better. Gotta get back to work. :wall: btw any ideas on what would be a good hosting site for the file??

sorry for the delay on getting back to you folks, Real life stuff :wacko: . Brettzies I think we have the same thing. It was your mod that unlocked the idea of how to get the heads to show.So your clipping issue was the key. and I too have the c4 issues. The cam code is based off the codes from Graw 1. I will upload it tonite or sometime tomm, so you folks can try it. As I said before this is a community mods, may people have contributed in some fashion. So I hope people will tweek it and make it better. Gotta get back to work. :wall: btw any ideas on what would be a good hosting site for the file??

That's pretty much what I did as well. I checked out a few of the GRAW1 mods for reference and then tried to implement it. I tweaked a bunch of things in my weapons pack to make it work better with a third person camera though such as combat sight zooms. Never could figure out the Mitchell head thing so I just brought in some new ones. That helped with the neck clipping on Ramirez and Hume. Also switched the mp/coop rifleman to be Ramirez(boonie hat), to give it some variety, put the name straps back in. Gave the RPG and M32 a ret. Tried to get the real m32 variable ret to show up, but haven't figured that out. Not sure it's possible.

There are some issues:

.can't get Mitchell's head to show up,.planting c4 is a real pain

Mitchells head not showing up? not sure what you mean there Brettzies, yeah c4 is tricky, just have to keep moving around slowly until you get the prompt to plant haha!, but you did a great job mate, excellent stuff. Not sure but i think the mk48? does not do three round bursts, it'll do single, full auto.Top notch mate, just the job.

graw23.jpg

graw22.jpg

screenshot41.jpg

Fantastic job on the weapons and kits Brettzies, but if i wanted to use the original ghosts uniform, how do i go about that? is it easy to do? can you give any pointers as to change the ghost kit/uniforms. It was easy enough to do in GRAW, change textures, weapons etc, but it looks somewhat different in GRAW2.

Anyway thanks again for your hard work mate, very much appreciated, 10/10 :thumbsup:

Never could figure out the Mitchell head thing so I just brought in some new ones

You did great work with your heads.

Looking at Inzane's screenshot i see he managed to get mitchells head to show and with the original ghosts uniform.

Mitchells head not showing up? not sure what you mean there Brettzies, yeah c4 is tricky, just have to keep moving around slowly until you get the prompt to plant haha!, but you did a great job mate, excellent stuff. Not sure but i think the mk48? does not do three round bursts, it'll do single, full auto.Top notch mate, just the job.

I set all weapons to default to single shot, but to do this it gives all 3 modes. So, I set burst mode to 0 shots in order to disable it for weapons that "really" didn't have it. It's a work around.

Fantastic job on the weapons and kits Brettzies, but if i wanted to use the original ghosts uniform, how do i go about that? is it easy to do? can you give any pointers as to change the ghost kit/uniforms. It was easy enough to do in GRAW, change textures, weapons etc, but it looks somewhat different in GRAW2.

Do you mean just the camo patterns or the helmets and gear too? It's a little complex because the gear kept popping to some strange mex pattern every time you died in coop. To fix that I made the textures locked to an image. If you want, just edit that image a la Graw1, as well as the gear camo swatch.

Anyway thanks again for your hard work mate, very much appreciated, 10/10 :thumbsup:

Glad you like the results. Cool screenshots...I always like to see how people kit up.

Brettzies I think its kind of silly having 2 of the same mods. Do you think It would be a good Idea to combined our efforts?

No, I think it's good you have the 3rd person only mod. That way people can use it with the stock GRAW2 or other addons. Theoretically, you could use that with my v2.05(b) and it "would" work, but I know it would not be optimized.

When I started messing with this on Friday, I noticed just dumping a third person camera in there didn't account for many things, like the heads clipping, rets for RPG, zooms, etc. So, the latest one, v2.05.ots is tweaked specifically to work in 3rd person. Even one of the solider classes has been changed for variety, new textures for heads, new hats so they are in the correct place(sniper and boonie), put the name staps in, etc. Just a lot of little things to make it overall more appealing in 3rd person. Honestly, I thought you had abandoned the effort like so many people do and I wanted to see how it looked so I just started messing with the camera_settings.xml. I didn't want to spend more then a few days doing this.

Apologies to Inzane, I deleted his post by mistake.

Ok here it is. It pretty much a stand alone mod, It comes packaged in a msi installer, it dumps the files in the English folder. to uninstall relaunch the installer msi and uninstall. do not install over any mods you are already using. There is a great chance it will break those mods, I have tested it with custom maps, so there are no issues there. if you want to use with Brettzies mod, just dl Brettzies 3rd person mod, Its pretty much the same thing. post any feedback here.

Grab here

I think you should keep your mod separate Inzane, it's a nice lightweight download only for 3rd person. I have added it to the downloads here, nice work.