What Now?

Hail and well met everyone!

Just a quick history about me and how I got here, then some questions.

I got sick in July of 2004 that would require 3 years of hell to get better. During that time my precious wife bought me an Xbox360 and HDTV. The first game I got was GRAW. I really liked it, but didn't give it much attention. I then played GRAW2. Both games were interesting.

I decided to check out the first GR series on the Xbox. I really liked them quite a bit. They were so involved. So much fun.

Just out of curiosity I tried the origanal GR on the PC. I was delighted to find that it supported 1080p (1920x1080) on my 52" inch. Then I realized it seemed to be a totally different game on the PC.

I played though most of GR and some on GR:IT. Boy what fun. It wasn't until a few nights ago that I found out that GR has been heavly modded. So I downloaded GR:HU and started all over again. What a game. What an amazing game. To think what I've been missing.

To make things even better I ordered Rocky's DVD's this morning. My poor wife. She's really going to miss me.

So this is what I've realized. I think my tactics are wrong here. The way I'm playing is to kill some of the bad guys then save the game. Then if I get killed, or one of my guys gets wounded, I restart from the last savegame. I can see now reading these forums that I shoud reconsider this tatic.

Anyone willing to share with me how you got - or get - the most out of your game play? I'm really interested in how other people play.

Thanks and hello from sunny Seattle.

I hope you have Desert Siege too and welcome to the forums. I or others here can't tell you how to complete the missions as we all have different ways of doing them, some of us saved others didn't. I liked doing the SP missions online with my friends from here in Coop. We played them til we completed the missions no matter how many died and someone always died. If we didn't complete them the first time through we played it until we did complete it. There is also no way to save when playing online.

Check out the walkthroughs to see how some of us completed the missions to get an idea on how to do them, you might get some ideas. Remember that the walkthroughs only cover stock missions and not any mods.

Welcome to GR.net

You did the right thing to order the DVD's. They are more than worth the money and will spare you countless hours DL'ing everything.

GR on a 52" :D I remember how excited I got a few months ago when I finally got a 22" for my PC. Let's see, drive from Georgia to Washington just to play GR on a 52"... :hmm:

As for playing through the GR/DS/IT missions, I played through them all, campaign mod "veteran" level with no cheats, with some saves only after I had completed an objective. After I completed all campaigns I started downloading mods. You'll find that many of the mods play best when you play them in Campaign mode (e.i. Frostbite mod). I usually play at a pretty slooow, careful pace and try to make it through without the save, but that's just me. I'm too embarassed about my game to play online, but from what I hear on this site the online game is very much alive and well...

Nowadays with RL (family, job, etc...) I find it easier to just do the Quick Missions.

I believe one downside of "saving" is when you go back to view your game movie it will only go back to the last save, but it has been awhile since I used that feature.

With all the mods out there (and with new mods still being created) I believe this game has great value for many years to come.

Welcome to GR.net,

JoshuaOneSix

52"? GR must look awesome on that. I remember when I moved up to a 21" widescreen LCD monitor from an old CRT, it totally breathed new life into GR.

As for the QS question, I'm not one of the purists so I will quite often quick save, it's the only way I have any chance at all of seeing half of the mods that get released, unless I kick the family out, and quit my job!

Welcome to the forums Matt.

Anyone willing to share with me how you got - or get - the most out of your game play? I'm really interested in how other people play.

Welcome to the best game of all! :lol: (IMNSHO)

Wow, how to get the most out of the game...so many options really. Some things I'd recommend are:

** GRnet's website here and these forums. In the GR1 area there are lots of walkthroughs on missions by the "experts & game gods" as I refer to them - awesome players and great people to boot. Some missions have multiple walk through pages where you can see how some people do things differently.

** In game: Play tactically instead of 'run & gun'. Read the briefing information carefully before starting the mission setup, and ID both the objectives and any hints/clues that might be stated in the briefing. In some missions the objectives have to be completed in order, while in others it's better to go after objectives 3 or 4 first.

** In game: Use cover and concealment as much as possible and take it slow. In the real world, we use the phrase "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." This works in the game also. Take your time - most missions aren't a race against time, and even when there is a time limit you'll be surprised sometimes how little time has been used when you're half-way through a mission.

** In game: Unless you're using a SAW/MG, lay off the full auto fire - it burns up your ammo and reduces your accuracy. Most of the time you can resolve an enemy threat by one or two double-taps aimed carefully (2-4 rounds fired) with less trouble than multi-second sprays of full auto fire. If you *are* using a SAW, use short bursts of just a few rounds each time to keep the weapon under control and maintain your accuracy.

Another thing you can do is load your favorite mods & map packs and use the multi-player option to create a game in LAN mode - even if you're going to be playing alone. Set up mission, firefight, recon, or whatever game mode you wish to play in COOP, and set the maps to random. There's enough maps out there to keep you from repeating the same map more than a few times, and you've got near endless enjoyment.

In Single Player (SP) mode, once you can do a mission with the whole squad without getting killed off, reduce the number on the squad. SOTO has a couple of walkthrough pages where he shows going through maps with just one or two characters.

In Multi Player (MP) coop mode, reduce the number of respawns allowed and as you improve see how many you can get through without having to respawn at all.

Just a few ideas, but I'm sure that with the DVDs you'll get lots of ideas. :)

Another thing you can do is load your favorite mods & map packs and use the multi-player option to create a game in LAN mode - even if you're going to be playing alone. Set up mission, firefight, recon, or whatever game mode you wish to play in COOP, and set the maps to random. There's enough maps out there to keep you from repeating the same map more than a few times, and you've got near endless enjoyment.

P@LaD!n,

I never tried that one (something all you old-timers out there have probably been doing for years) but will very soon. That's another reason to keep up with the forum... you never know when a suggestion someone makes open up another type of gameplay.

JoshuaOneSix

That's true. Step away from the forums for a year or more and there's enough posting to keep you reading for weeks at a time. I think it was between Thanksgiving & Xmas that I found my way back to the site, but tried to catch up on all the posts before I started posting myself.

One of the things that got me into mission scripting was that even with X number of downloaded maps you're eventually going to have a general idea in the back of your head that on any particular map there's going to be an enemy AI here, here, and there, so you're ready for them. At one point some years back when there were fewer downloads and I couldn't access them anyway I had started to wonder whether I had really improved my skills in the game or if I just knew how best to setup my fire for X, Y, and Z enemies whom I knew could almost always be found just *there*. I started scripting new missions and new firefight setups for the maps I had and found out I wasn't as good as I thought I was...then started bringing the skills up again. Got back to a solid internet connection, downloaded more maps/missions/mods and the fun continues on.

The random map part of multiplayer is cool, especially if you have a LOT of maps. You can do missions one time, recon another, firefight the next, and there's other coop game types available too. I'd also like to mention MissionHX...a great tool for absolutely random gaming.