L4D1 - quality of L4D gamers

WytchDokta

I see the quality of L4D gamers is getting better:

Yesterday I got votekicked off one server for providing covering fire to cover the other three guys' approach. None of my shots incurred friendly either. Ironically, they had sent up the lift (Sewers map) when the whole team was scattered (only one of them was on it). So I made a comment about that. Maybe they didn't like my comment, but come on, stick the hell together and wait until everyone is ready. I got into the building across the courtyard opposite the lift and provided sniper cover from there, which I didn't have to do considering they sent up the lift without me being there. Obviously votekicking is how people reward good actions in this day & age. :unsure:

Today, doing Boathouse finale - one guy runs off to the 'secret' rock to hide from the horde. He did not provide support fire from his position for the rest of us. We still held it down real good though. After the first waves and subsequent Tank, we asked the guy if he was going to do something other than just sit there on the rock. To which he said that what he was going to do was live. The rest of us holding out at the house held back the second waves and subsequent Tank. Then we made a break for the dock as the boat came in at the end. Then, a Hunter pounces the guy on the rock. And because I've got morals, I went to shoot the Hunter off the guy from my position, but one of the other guys (a VERY good player too) got constricted by a Smoker, so I took out that Smoker first, then shot the Hunter off the other guy - By which time it was too late, the guy on the rock was already down and needed reviving. So we got onto the boat and left him to die a slow and painful death - serves him right for not helping us when we needed it most. Then that guy 'ragequitted' because he didn't live like he said he would.

Also, with all the people shooting each other lately I'm led to believe that there will be a second new online mode in the upcoming L4D expansion - deathmatch - and people are practicing for it.

[EDIT: lol, errors fixed. I guess my L4D-rage affected my spelling/grammar :) ]

Edited by WytchDokta

The game's online coding is buggered beyond belief - you select Campaign then Quick match and it send you to a Versus match; You complete the second/third map in any campaign and wait for it to load the next map in the campaign, but it loads up the next campaign from the start instead; You just started your Campaign online and all teammembers spawn as spectators. While spectators they are classed as not being ready, therefore you cannot Votereturn to lobby.

Then you've got the types of people I mentioned aswell those who try to (for unknown reasons) 'rocketjump' using gas cans and the Rambo's/Leeroy Jenkins' who can't work out why they get owned by Hunter/Smoker when they run off way ahead. Then there's the people who get ###### when they want to Votechange difficulty, and you keep voting no, so they can't. After several attempts they throw molotovs at teammembers then shotgun them in the face.

Don't get me wrong, the game has amazing potential. the game is infact not the problem. The problem is those who endeavor to [deliberately] spoil it for others for the sake of getting their own achievements.

Maybe it's me. Maybe I AM playing the game incorrectly. Maybe I'm supposed to be running and shooting, holding my own, stealing all first aid kits and using them when my health is 91hp, not going back to help/revive teammates - in order that I, rather than my teammates survive. Yes, that's it, survival of the fittest. "If you can't keep up, you get left behind" and all that. :blink:

On a side note, a good player today thanked me for being another 'decent' player. By decent he meant not making ###### for the other teammembers (not [deliberately] setting off alarms and always helping the other players etc)

Edited by WytchDokta

^^ I understand you , but i think its the nature of the beast (man). Me first and the rest......

I've been playing games online the last cpl of years and i figured out that Games + internet + Man = Trouble

Kinda sick 'n' tired of it myself :wall:

But sometimes , you get online ,play your fav game and mix up with a good bunch of ppl .....Party Time

I have L4D myself , only played the Sp mode ...but after reading all of these story's (here and on other site's ) I just don't whant to jump on the MP waggon.

Shame really :hmm:

If you can find a good bunch of gamers who don't ###### about, the MP is awesome. Infact, I'm currently in with a group, UKT, they're and awesome bunch. They don't ###### about, they know what they are doing. A lot of them are on comms too. We even always set our characters on random on versus mode to mix the teams up each time. It's great fun. These guys push the Boomers forward - once the Boomer has stirred things up, the rest of us strike amidst the confusion. Also, when once of us 'turns' into the Tank, the rest of the Infected players move up in support of the Tank so as to draw the Survivors fire away from the Tank and to cause them to divide their fire multiple ways. Tank leads the charge, Boomer drops in (literally) to shake things up and Hunters/Smokers pick off the guys fanning out to avoid the Tank. Hit them hard, hit them fast. Hit them before they throw the molotovs. Hit them AT THE SAME TIME.

Hey wait, what do we know about playing properly? We're the type that get kicked by other players because we provide them with supporting fire and sniper cover. Yeah that's right, we don't know how to play games.

Maybe you should drop by sometime when we at UKT are playing? We're not a clan, we're just a group of gamers who want to play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Let's not forget the #1 Rule when it comes to online social interaction:

G.I.F.T.

I haven't played L4D and possibly never will, but I can't for a second imagine it would be any different than any other game: Even discounting all the newbies who simply don't know how to play the game, there will be a disproportionately huge number of idiots who should never be allowed access to an internet connection. Ever.

There's only one real solution: Know thine playmates.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Actually, if anyone here hasn't gotten the game......you may want to. There is an update coming soon with more maps, fixes, etc. They've been good about fixing bugs as they can & getting rid of the exploits. Granted, as WytchDokta has stated there are probs with it, but mostly with the other peeps playing.

I've been at it for a couple of months now, and can't keep from playing it. It's that good; and will definitely keep up or hone your fast twitch shooting & head shot skills.

When you finally do get a tight group together on Expert, the game really shines - due to mostly the team working together. If you're a "lone wolf" type, it probably won't be the game for you.....yeah, the standard difficulty you may get away with it....BUT on Expert, forget it.

As Wytch has said, you get kicked for the craziest things. I was recently kicked for peeling infected off of teammates with the shotgun. They said doing so causes Friendly Fire. It can, but if done right, you can easily peel 'em off all day long without any Friendly Fire.

Anyhow, the game is "directed" by an AI Director. It decides when to send in hordes & special infected. Sometimes it is quite brutal. Also, if you happen to be the most dangerous of the survivors, ALL of the Special Infected will be aiming at you first.....nothing like getting hit by a Smoker, drug across the landscape and biled on by a Boomer before a Hunter pounces to finish you off. No sense rage quitting, just smile because you ARE the Bad A_s_s of the crew. :)

BTW, some of the 'new maps' are NOT new maps - they are Dead Air and Death Toll campaigns for Versus mode.

And yes, they have been good at fixing the bugs. But - the online coding bugs are still present and it doesn't say that they will be fixed. By these bugs I mean you tell you game you want to play Campaign mode online and it send you to a Versus match, etc.

More than anything we need to see some new weapons in the game. Ahem VALVe, are you listening? I want my M79.

While we're talking about friendly fire - it's not surprising that friendly fire incidents are rife due to the people who use shotguns and sniper rifles. Yeah, so there might Infected down the end of the alley, but close the distance then shoot. Don't shoot from all the back there because the other Survivors will start to move in that direction as you fire your 10 round autoshotgun burst to kill 2 Infected. I've watched these people closely, it atkes them on average 5 shotgun rounds to take out a special Infected (range) and about 3 to take out standard Infected (range again). And people seem to forget that bullets go through stuff - so there might be an Infected between me & you, but even if you pop in the head, your bullet will go through and hit me too. Yet in these instances nobody can work out why I'd rather shoot at the legs of the Infected between me and another Survivor than risk friendly fire.

And they can't work out why, when I've got the noobcannon (autoshotgun) I let the Infected come to me then shoot them rather than firing off 8 rounds to kill a single Infected.

And while trying to flank the Infected that are in an awkward position, I've been **accidently** shot a few times as the Survivors **accidently** mistook me for Infected. None of the Survivors even look like the Infected characters. Check your targets for Christ sakes.

Typical friendly fire scenario:

Myself, Mr AchievementWhore and Mr IThinkTheShotgunIsASniperRifle (I've made these names up) are moving down an alley. They run off ahead as they do. I hear and incoming horde. I get on comms: "Incoming, rear, closing fast." Negative response from the other two. They're still carrying on their way, clearing out the Infected out front (trying to get their Zombie Genocidest achievement). It's not too much of a problem as I can take the horde on my own. I'm moving into a position to set up a base of fire - I've got my back facing the wall, just far enough away from the wall to allow another Survivor to stand behind me and shoot0,. I've positioned myself so that my right/left sides are covered by walls/ other objected, my back is facing the wall and I'm crouched. The Infected can only attack me from the front. I make the call to go loud. I'm firing off 2-3 round burst only per each Infected. Dropped 1. Dropped 2. Dropped 3..... Dropped 8...... The other Survivors now **magically** hear the commotion (as if they didn't hear me telling them we had incoming before), yes, they hear me shooting. So they come to **assist** finally. Now, don't forget they are trying to get their Zombie Genocidest achievement. Rather than standing in the space I left behind myself, the run up the alley and crouch IN MY LINE OF FIRE as I'm pulling the trigger no less. So now, my shots are blocked by the other guys. The guy with the M16 fires of a 50 round burst and half his shots miss (in fact, some of his shots come back my way and just me - he's getting surrounded by Infected due to taking up a bad position. These are my kills, taken from me. <_<

What? Why aren't I shooting? Duh! Move ###### get out the way perhaps? No?

What's that you say? Yes I know I shot you. Yes I also know that you are [deliberately] blocking my shots (so as to get your achievements) by positioning yourself in my line of fire.

Give me a break already. :wall:

Wytch, you're absolutely correct in the firing patterns most peeps use.

Here's how to properly use an autoshotty to peel infected (try it, it works): USE the pips........I mean, the pips are spread out on the shotties AND that is for a reason. At fairly close range put your side pips on the infected you are peeling off a survivor making sure that the center pip is away from the survivor - then fire. The spread will will follow the pips spread and not injure the survivor. Another thing, a horde surrounding an incapped survivor is easily peeled by keeping the bottom pip above the survivor.

By all means, when hitting a corner, crouch and stay tight on the inside - this allows the others to go wide and behind to get a firing arc also.

I use the autoshotty to clear the brunt of a horde coming en masse. I let them get fairly close and in doing so can drop several with one shot. Any of them left after a full unload is easy mop up.

If an infected is directly between me and a survivor I keep moving forward - while strafing to get the proper angle unless I can get close enough to melee them off......

It's pretty simple, but as you know, most peeps haven't thought this through and don't know how to effectively use a shotty without injuring other survivors.

Short bursts with the M16 are way more effective at long range, but again, peeps haven't thought these things through.

Not to mention, the misuse of Moly's, Pipe Bombs, melee, when to use pistols vs mains, etc., is quite frustrating to watch.

Look me up, my Steam handle is Vhladd. I use all of the mains, dependant upon which map am on.

Most don't know how to properly react to being barfed on by a Boomer either. I've seen many spin around on the spot firing off a 50 round burst which hit me in the face. Just put you back against the wall and revert to melee. Then I don't get hit in the face by stray bullets. Works better if you can funnel them into some doorway somewhere because then their large number counts for nothing. Simple but effective. Think about it, 300 against 2 million. 2 million got slaughtered because The 300 funneled them into a 'choke point' between two cliffs, known as Thermopolae (the Hot Gates), where their massive number was radically reduced due to the width between the cliffs.

And with the mollies, that's funny. Tank running at somebody so they throw the molotov BEHIND the tank. Might help to throw it in front of the Tank, in his path so he walks into it. Half the time though, a Tank will be pummeling a Survivor when another teammember throws a molly that hits both the Tank and the Survivor. That Survivor gets incapped by the tank and no-one can revive him - because of the fire.

To an extent, pipebombs are actually more effective against tanks if you time it correctly because all explosions that hit the Tank directly stun him for a few seconds - another reason why VALVe need to give me my M79 grenade launcher. :)

I adjust weaponry according to map too, because, well, let's just say adapt or die. I've seen many take sniper rifles on Hospital Interior and Drains maps.

You I'd trust with the M79, pretty much most others I wouldn't even begin a map with!

Also, on being Biled on, why peeps haven't figured out to corner up and melee - thus allowing me to pull a human shield between them and infected astounds me. For God's sake, the infected won't damage me as long as the pheromone is active on the biled survivor.

And for the peeps that use the random pipe bomb that dispatches only one infected.......... :wall:

And for the peeps that use the random pipe bomb that dispatches only one infected.......... :wall:

Yeah. More annoying when they do it when there's no Infected around.

LMAO at that Tank just now, you were right on the edge of the map. I lost some health though jumping down there to save you. :P

If you wanna play with a decent group that doesn't go crazy, add me as a friend on steam. I have a friend that rents a l4d server and we play along with his friends. I played versus for probably 4 hours yesterday and we only lost once. Everyone stayed together and worked as a team. As others have mentioned, you have to find a good group.

username: firefly2442

What's with people continuing to shoot a Tank for ten minutes after it's dead? And on that note, what's with people shooting enemies I've already dropped? Just because they dropped to the floor yet doesn't mean they aren't dead. Hell, even I'll pop their head with a single M16 shot, the body takes a few seconds to drop to the floor. Another person will then proceed to shoot the headless body as it's dropping to the floor. Dpeneding on how you kill an enemy and with what weapon determines whether they instantly go flying half a mile down the street (Hollywood style) after you've shot them. If you don't see that happen, apparently some-one else has not already killed the enemy so you yourself need to continue the already dead dead enemy as his body is dropping to the floor.

And, I'll clear out a room, check it for supplies etc. I see no weapons or pills etc in the room, so i come back out and close the door. Then another person goes into the room and checks it for supplies. For Christ's sake, if there was stuff in there I would have told you already.

One guy was playing the other day and wouldn't revive his team mate because he didn't have a medpack to able to revive him with. I :rofl: . He still didn't get it when I told him you don't need medpacks to revive team mates, you just need to press E. :D

And, I'll clear out a room, check it for supplies etc. I see no weapons or pills etc in the room, so i come back out and close the door. Then another person goes into the room and checks it for supplies. For Christ's sake, if there was stuff in there I would have told you already.

Well, for me, If I'm playing with peeps I don't know then checking rooms personally is a must. There's been way too many times to list they don't let anyone know if something is in the room that others could use.

• 3 months later...

Christ. I'm down in front, and the person stood behind me shooting forward still manages to shoot me in the head. We're talking about 20 M16 rounds each time he did this. Other team members were getting the same treatment. Then, right before we booted him, he went on a deathmatch rampage with the autoshotty, gunning down another teammember (deliberate - there no Infected around), then turning his gun on me. We filed for and completed the votekick before he managed to squeeze of any shotty rounds at me though.

We kept telling him about it too, but our words fell onm deaf ears. I told him once if he does it again, I'll stoop to his level and start shooting back (he'd shot his teamembers in the back of head trying to shoot Infected (while his teammates where crouched and he was stood nonetheless) about 50 times by this point, so I had plenty of reason to stoop to his level.) Then - ######? This guy is taking the ###### now, he pops a few more rounds in me, I've got no Infected anywhere near me and certainly none coming towards me and am I a room by myself covering one angle.

Then there was the time I got booted for informing the team of a Tank out front. I've got "Tank" bound to the V key. I wasn't exactly voice spamming "TANK!! TANK!! TANK!! TANK!!" as most people with that vocalize bind bound to a certain key.

Then the other day, a guy joined playing as Francis. soon as he joined he grabbed an M16, and was going on a full auto rampage shooting in every which direction while runing around crazily, laughing in his comms (there was no Infected to shoot at right at this point). Then he was like, "I can't help it, it's stuck on autofire." Just so happened, mine was stuck on "Press F1 for Yes" to votekick that player.

Edited by WytchDokta

• 3 months later...

What the hell?

I just got gunned down in some deathmatch action in Campaign mode.

We're on airport terminal, coming up to the terminal bit where you go down to the van and send the van through the fence. One guy throws a grenade, but it hits the walls and bounces back instead of going though the doorway. I run to take cover in the room to the side. The blast from the grenade set of the fuel cans ahead, which engulfed the grenadethrower guy in flames. The team is divided: I'm behind the flames, two guys out fron at either side of the flames, the guy who threw the grenade is in the middle engulfed by flames. So he runs back towards me through the flames and immediately goes Rambo on me with the M16. I continue walking forward through the door as the fire subsides, still being shot by this guy. So I'm incapped. I try to file a votekick, but I got the wrong player (fail?) at first. Luckily, there were more 'no' than 'yes' votes. This same guy who gunned me down now rescues me, then starts to gun me down again. The two other guys on the team then started to shoot at him just as I filed a votekick on the correct player this time. He gets gunned down himself then booted. I never shot back once - doing so would make me as bad as them. Coincidently, the other two players - the guys that gunned down the guy that gunned me down, both added me as a friend on Steam.

Seriously, ######? I didn't even instigate anything, his grenade set those cans off. I was just there, 3rd in formation minding my own business.

Edited by WytchDokta

And today I had to go and exfil a few guys who were obviously very new to the game. They couldn't figure out the way through the house on Blood Harvest part 4 (the house before the bridge, where there's train carriages blocking access to the bridge.) No word of a lie: I was sat a little way along the bridge with my sniper rifle setting up a base of fire facing the back towards the house (safe room is behind me.) I wait. I wait some more. The kids are running back and forth trying to figure it out. Even when I said to go UPstairs and out the front windows, they went downstairs. Then one went right to the top floor and jumped out the side window - striaght off the side off the map. Now, in all the time I took the other guy to figure out the way out of the house, the player who had previously took a nose dive had respawned. Eventually one of them figures it out, and comes to me on the bridge. I tell him to continue past me, get in the safe room and lock the door. With that a horde comes in, part of the horde slams into the guy still trying to find his way through the house, part of the horde comes at me. I'm popping them at distance with sniper rifle. I switched to pistols for the ones that got to close range. I wait some more. Ten minutes has gone by now. This guy has walked past the way out of the house about 50 times already. So I was left with no choice but to assist him. I run back towards the house, climb over the rubble by the downed carriages onto the downed carriages and see this guy now outside the house - and another horde on his ass. I tell him to get inside, and cover the door. "I'll see you inside" I told him as I did a headlong charge into the horde, shouting "Leeeroooooy" as I did so (because I can).... This guy was so jumpy that he almost shot me as I ran through the door. "We're clear, let's move," I said, "Get behind me, I'm getting you out." We ran through the house and across the bridge. "Take the point, I'll get the cover the rear" I said as we reach the bridge. The other two guys now emerge from the safe room, wielding sniper rifles to cover us. It was a clear run to the safe room, no more hordes.

So yeah, WytchDokta Search & Rescue Korps had to be deployed again today....

"So others may live"

They live because I allow them too. :D

If these kids copy me, there's no guarantee they will live. And they do copy me. I know because They are going full auto on the M16, 20 rounds per Infected. I come along and start tapping the mouse button (as if firing the pistols) in such a way that my M16 fires singleshots. Immediately they try it, but can't quite nail it - they can squeeze off 2-3 round bursts, not singleshots like me.

One guy did find his way through the map rapidly - by jumping out of the incorrect top storey window and plummeting off the side of the map. "Window straight ahead at top of stairs" apparently meant "Window to right at top of stairs" - Does it look like you can get to the bridge from that window? No! So why go out of that window?

• 1 year later...

I gotta laugh.

Had an argument with some kids on L4D2 yesterday. They were adamant that their methodology and approach to survival was better than mine. They weren't even coordinating correctly, you had one guy got killed by a Smoker (before the other guys even reacted/saw their teammate needed helped (this was just as I was spawning into the game so I could help)) and somehow the other guys didn't see the visual warning that a team mates needs help or they had their audio turned off (which is hard to believe as they were all on mics.) It's not exactly difficult to hear a teammate yelling for help. You had another guy saying "OMG, I hear a Boomer" when it was clearly the sound of a Tank nostril flaring. You had ALL of them running while shooting full auto with assault rifle, then ragefitting when 'this gun can't hit ######.' Seemingly, none of them had any idea of what a line of fire was either. To put it in perspective, according to the stats at the end, one of those kids incurred 67 friendly fire incidents, no joke, sixty-seven!!

It was funny to watch them too. A horde comes, they stand in the open, spinning on the spot shooting every which direction on full auto. Then there's me. I hear the horde coming and immediately head for the nearest wall. I reach the wall, and the Infected can now only attack me from 180 degrees, yet these kids are in open getting swarmed 360 dgrees. But also, not many realise that the AI Director focuses mainly on the people dealing the most damage/doing the most killing - which happened to be those kids. So only a handful of Infected ran at me while the other kids where getting swarmed.

Then it comes to the finale. Again, theses kids got no concept of using chokepoints etc, they wanna set up where we can get surrounded. At one point on that finale, all 3 of those guys where down. This is the Plantation finale where 2 Tanks come at the same time. I took out BOTH Tanks, aswell as the majority of the remainder of the horde, and even got 2 of the guys back on their feet by myself without getting incapped. Not exactly difficult, just give the Tanks the run around in the Plantation grounds, run in circles around the hedges. Their approach was to try and take the Tanks out in the house. And it almost got the three of them killed. I rest my case. This was the second batch of Infected, so next up would be the arrival of the rescue vehicle.

The other kids were poncing about in the house, dunno what they were doing but I was already through the gate by the time they left the house. I made it to the rescue vehicle with no other Survivors in tow. I was the only Survivor to get out. And I had a horde and Tank chasing me to the rescue vehicle.

So yeah, apparently I know nothing and am crap a playing L4D2, or so they told me. Funny how they soon changed their mind when they saw my stats at the end of the game.

Edited by WytchDokta