Creating SP/Campaign Missions

Tinker

First off, this is only a very quick attempt at converting Legacy`s mission into a campaign mission as a test. Wish I had some more time on my hands, but not at present.

Obviously we are still missing lot`s of other stuff, like changing all the briefings and so. Also advanced respawn areas will no longer be of any use...

But we have success, my squad and I spawned as we should of, and all seemed fine, though I did not hang around to play more than a few minutes. The simple error I had at a previous attempt, is I did not change the start_mission to start_game! :wall:

Hopefully other`s can expand on this as we go, and we can all start to enjoy some campaign / SP missions from here.

Example mission used: nemesis_v3 :shifty:

1: Unbundle as normal

2: Open world_info file

3: Replace <world_info name="nemesis_v3" mission_time="day">

with: <world_info path="/data/levels/common/campaign_settings.xml" name="nemisis_test" mission_time="day">

4: Add and edit, as required, this anywhere in there:

<campaign name="nemesis_v3" act="1" order="1" coop="true">

<candidate name="BEASLEY" kit="_m02" def_team="true"/>

<candidate name="BROWN" kit="" def_team="false"/>

<candidate name="HUME" kit="" def_team="false"/>

<candidate name="JENKINS" kit="_m02" def_team="true"/>

<candidate name="MITCHELL" kit="_m02" def_team="true"/>

<candidate name="RAMIREZ" kit="_m02" def_team="true"/>

<block_weapon name="barret"/>

<block_weapon name="hk21e"/>

<block_weapon name="predator" coop="true"/>

</campaign>

5: Open mission.xml

6: Replace this: <event name = "start_mission">

with: <event name="start_game">

<element type="AddInsertion" name="insertion" location="coop_spawn" start_time="1" map_position="7063.0674 -7344.9775 352.51999" coop="false"/>

<element type="AddInsertion" name="insertioncoop" location="coop_spawn" start_time="1" map_position="7063.0674 -7344.9775 352.51999" coop="true" />

will need to enter spawn location coordinates found in world.xml

7: Rebundle and select campaign, enjoy Legacys mission with your squad!

Please feel free to post any comments / suggestions / corrections.

Download and compare this to the original

:thumbsup:

OH YEAH BABY! Brilliant work Tinker.

This is very exciting news.

Ps, Bogie, kids ehgh...ok, so you get them all chairs and they can watch daddy play a fun game..look Johny, thi is what we call a head shot...um, ok, perhaps not.

Alright folks, Tinker has shon the light, now convert away!

Dav

Yea, my 8 year old has lurked in the background when we've had LAN parties ... we only know he's there when he yells "COOL". But still not a very good idea.

Tinker, Nemesis (nems) did show up in all three sections: coop, campaign and SP campaign. With the network and SP campaigns, I was able to start, but had no control over the Ghost Team via mouse or the tactical map. I know there are some additional lines that need to be made as far as who has control of the Ghost Team.

In addition, I did need to remove the coop_nemesis_v3.bundle in order for it to work, but this was expected for this particular test.

In any case, I'm still working on the Toxic Maps, but as soon as I'm done, I'll assist with getting some of these maps into a campain style mission. Some of the ideas which may or may not be feasible that I'm thinking:

- Comprehensive mission briefings

- Music during the briefings

- Auto-saves

- Entry & exit animations (this is the part that may take some doing)

- Assuring that we are able to only have maps appear once they are completed ("NEXT Mission" during the mission summary)

- Have missions like the Ageia and Training maps that are available at anytime just like the original.

- Assure that they are available via web servers, sp campaigns and standalone coop missions.

- Assure compatibility with the previous coop versions of the maps.

Thanks,

Bogie

Well, I still cannot get the Ghosts to move... they can cover and fire via the map, but not move. The only differences in the code that Tinker provided was to change all of the "team_a" to "campaign_team" in the mission.xml and removed the coop_settings from the bottom of the world_info.xml.

Have experimented with a few of the campaign and control settings, but is a no-go. Still trying.

"team_a" to "campaign_team"

That was on my "to do" list. But should not effect us getting the guys to move.

<_<

Thought I had it then. Had not removed this: <world_info path="/data/levels/common/coop_settings.xml" type="coop"> from the world_info file. But no joy.

Well I cannot see anything wrong with the set up. campaign_settings are called, this is where it states can use tac map and other stuff needed. Have no time, hope to try again later.

Tested this on my testing grounds and found that you need to add this one element type after the insertion code

<element type="MissionCommand" id="lagoon_land" safe_location="anywhere" kill_location="loc_kill" state="true" player_type="team_a" delay="5"/>

[/code]

Note that I created a location that covered the entire theater called "loc_kill". The ID was just bogus, but seems to be required for this element.

Now instead of just following you, you can actually create move orders via your mouse or the tactical map.

Sweet!!

Bogie

Some of the ideas which may or may not be feasible that I'm thinking:

- Comprehensive mission briefings

- Music during the briefings

- Auto-saves

- Entry & exit animations (this is the part that may take some doing)

- Assuring that we are able to only have maps appear once they are completed ("NEXT Mission" during the mission summary)

- Have missions like the Ageia and Training maps that are available at anytime just like the original.

- Assure that they are available via web servers, sp campaigns and standalone coop missions.

- Assure compatibility with the previous coop versions of the maps.

Thanks,

Bogie

That about sums up all that should be needed to polish these missions off.

Although, if anyone is interested in building a mod, it would be great if we could have a standard set of files available to add, covering a few basic game fixes and some extra grenades and so. Otherwise it is just as good to build a custom_level.

TBH, my set of missions are a little on the easy side with a group of up to 12 in cooperative mode, so making a campaign is definatly what I intend to do. I prefer to keep the enemy low, but hope for low / no respawn games. Have the increased draw distance all fine (Sticking with 200M for now), just need to figure out activating 6 man for coop now by looking through Wolfsongs mod. Although it should be fine for 4.

Tested this on my testing grounds and found that you need to add this one element type after the insertion code

<element type="MissionCommand" id="lagoon_land" safe_location="anywhere" kill_location="loc_kill" state="true" player_type="team_a" delay="5"/>

[/code]

Note that I created a location that covered the entire theater called "loc_kill". The ID was just bogus, but seems to be required for this element.

Now instead of just following you, you can actually create move orders via your mouse or the tactical map.

Sweet!!

Bogie

Thnx Bogie, I was looking at that in the original missions, but had no clue what it was there for.

:thumbsup:

Had a little time tonight to play about with a few things.

Issue 01:

Unable to Insert in a vehicle. As soon as the missions starts, I am automatically killed and game ends. Tried using the Truck, a Panhard and a pickup, all same deal. So there must be something in the script that is wrong that I cannot figure out. Vehicles work fine without Insert script and travel to there given places...Vehicle and crew are freindly.

Issue 02:

The cypher drops to the ground as soon as it activates, spins around a little until it becomes stuck on a rock or by a vehicle, unable to execute given orders. Gave it the Insertion location coordinates, adding 60M to the Z height. It does spawn in the air at it`s correct position first.

<mission_script>
<xi:include href="/data/levels/common/common.xml#xpointer(/common/*)"/>

<briefing text_id="hit_shot_teammates" map_texture="/data/levels/test/briefing_test" >
<briefing_text txt_id="briefing_test_strategic" headline_id="briefing_strategic_hl" anchor="obj1" pos="0.074 0.246 -2" type="objective"/>
<briefing_text txt_id="briefing_test_tactical" headline_id="briefing_tactical_hl" anchor="obj2" pos="0.12 0.187 -2" type="objective"/>
</briefing>

<event name="start_game">
<element type="AddInsertion" name="insertion" vehicle_id="insert" trigger_event="insert_1" start_time="1" map_position="-19236.057 -10939.716 -570.45587" coop="false"/>
<element type="AddInsertion" name="insertioncoop" location="coop_spawn" start_time="1" map_position="-11999.607 -13788.054 -701.67877" coop="true" />
<element type="MissionCommand" id="lagoon_land" safe_location="anywhere" kill_location="loc_kill" state="true" player_type="campaign_team" delay="5"/>
</event>

<event name="start_mission">
<element type="OrderCar" vehicle_id="Insert" order="move" position="-13321 -13013 -567" speed=".5" start_time="2"/>
<element type="StartTrigger" name="insert_exit" start_time="5.0"/>
<element type="AlterGroupStats" player_type="campaign_team" max_health="40000" health="40000"/>
<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="us_tank_01" start_time="3"/>
<element type="SetCanTakeOrders" vehicle_id="us_tank_01" value="true" start_time="5"/>
<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="cypher" start_time="7"/>
<element type="SetCanTakeOrders" vehicle_id="cypher" value="true" start_time="9"/>
<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="mule_resupply_01" start_time="11"/>
<element type="SetToSupply" vehicle_id="mule_resupply_01" event="dummy" start_time="13"/>
</event>

<event name="insert_01">
<element type="SetTransportType" vehicle_id="insert" transport_type="insertion" start_time="2"/>
</event>

<trigger name="insert_exit" interval="0.8" preserved="false">
<condition type="UnitInLocation" location="insert_exit" vehicle_id="Insert" amount="1"/>
<event name="exit_insert_truck"/>
</trigger>

<event name="exit_insert_truck">
<element type="StopTrigger" name="insert_exit" start_time="0.0"/>
<element type="ExitPassengers" vehicle_id="Insert" />
</event>

</mission_script>[/code]

Notes:

Thnx for info on the strings.xml Bogie, though you must remember to give it a unique name also.

Had some fun testing out a few of the compositions, but unable to figue out which ones loop?

<_<

The cypher drops to the ground as soon as it activates, spins around a little until it becomes stuck on a rock or by a vehicle, unable to execute given orders.

I had this too when playing with it some time back in a coop mission (it's handy for tagging enemy...but can not take orders in coop)...and did get it to hover...but for the life of me can not remember how. ...the script is at home and I am out to dinner tonight...so will not be able to post it for a day or so. You'll no doubt have sorted it by then. Sorry.

Dav

Extra element required for cypher:

<element type="ActivateVehicle" vehicle_id="cypher" start_time="7"/>

<element type="ActivateCypher" vehicle_id="cypher" start_time="9"/>

<element type="SetCanTakeOrders" vehicle_id="cypher" value="true" start_time="11"/>

:)

Mortar will only activate if there are enemy to launch it at too.

• 4 months later...