Ghost Recon.net Forums

Halo Wars

Anyone download and try this out yet? I'm curious what you think of the gamepad controls for an RTS.

I need to hook up my 360 again but unfortunately gaming is a bit low on the priority list now, but I'll get around to it ...

I tried it. Its ok, but its alittle to simple for my taste. Maybe i turned into a RTT freak and lost the will for old school RTS. If it didn't have the name Halo on it. I just can't see this game getting much light or praise.

The controls feel alittle clunky as you over shoot everything you tring to do with the cross hairs. Many might tell you diffrent, but it feels clunky and jumpy to me. The Graphics are ok, but i see alot of artifacts keeping it from looking smooth and clean. Yet the Cinama videos are very well done and could be the best part of the game. Sound is poor, but the music is good. The game play is very simple, maybe to simple in the IQ way! Tatical i have to say its very slim to none, but if you try hard enough you might get some kind of tactic out of it. Build your units send to battle and repeat seems like the main tactic here. Base building can be a pain as it takes forever like 45 mins to a hour for no good reason to max out. The game should be over long before you get there or unless you like just seating back and building/upgrading as you prelong the game. With the enemy crippled and seating back ready to die. Over all it can be ok depending on what you want. If you like a simple old RTS style with base building and/or a Halo fan it might be worth checking out. Yet if you like more of the new RTS or even RTT im not so sure you going to like it very much. The game is made to be simple and easy. If anything it could be great for people that are new to RTS. Just don't see it for anyone thats played RTS for years though. Well at least anything long term and nothing a rental can't get out of your system!

• 1 month later...

I like Halo but I hate RTS games...so I was very skeptical about playing it on a console...but surprisingly...it's pretty decent. It's no Wii Fitness...but it's okay. If you're not a Halo fan or RTS fan...I'd pass.

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

I finally dusted off my 360 and dloaded Halo Wars. Very nice looking but definitely simplistic compared to PC RTS's. Very interesting how they made the various new units and Covenant and UNSC buildings. Had a fun time with both single player (very linear) and the 1 vs 1 skirmish.

What made me roll the eyes a bit was after my Xbox live was updated, there are these new characters you need to chose - bascially MS copying Nintendo's Mii's :rolleyes: