Map making instructions

AJ59

Hey Map Making Gurus....

I am willing to try to make a map with Max8, BUT the instruction video that is out there (don't have the link at the moment) has no audio explaining just what is being done.

I love the new maps that are getting made, but we would certainly have even more new maps if some of the rest of us could learn this "black art" as Davros calls it.

If someone who knows how to make a map could work thru that video and write down some instructions it would be tremendously helpful.

As I have Max 8 installed I would be willing to help "beta test" any such instructions and edit them (in the wiki, of course!!)

Such instructions would likely even benefit future version of this game as I assume many of the steps using Max would be the same.

Here... I'll even get it started....

1. Double click the Max8 icon.

okay.. now what? :D

Yeah that's why it's a black art!

A couple of suggestions...

1) look through the GRAW1 map making forums

2) PM someone like Hi Galor

3) Check out this GRAW1 tutorial http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=353

I read it over when making my object mods. and it's pretty good...but you'll need to go elsewhere to learn about 3dsmax itself...but there are plenty of forums and training info. on the app itself.

"The first official GRAW Modding Tutorial from GRIN, pack includes the following. (1) GRAW: CUSTOM CONTENTS OVERVIEW (2) Atlasgen Tool Instructional Guide (3) HOW TO GET A TERRAIN INTO GRAW TUTORIAL (4) LIGHTMAPPED STATIC PROP TUTORIAL - and all associated files including max files, images and textures!"

I'm all out of options after that.

Dav

I'll even get it started....

1. Double click the Max8 icon.

okay.. now what? :D

2. Google basic video tutorials for 3D Max (There will not be many willing to teach you the basics of the program you have, be prepared to spend many, many months learning)

3. Create your map

4. Post it up and wait for someone to help you get in into GRAW2

Personnaly I would suggest creating a small building or something simple, then understanding the process of getting that object textured and tagged up for export.

:thumbsup:

*Edit*

Maybe time to put some life into our Flash & 3D Foundry Section?

2. Google basic video tutorials for 3D Max (There will not be many willing to teach you the basics of the program you have, be prepared to spend many, many months learning)

*Edit*

Maybe time to put some life into our Flash & 3D Foundry Section?

I wasn't looking for someone to teach me how to use the program.

Just basically the audio portion of that video showing how to make a map and import it.

Obviously someone has been making a few new maps and he must understand just what is being done.

Heck, if he would just watch the video and just record some accompanying instructions that would be a starting point. Even if they are not in English.

I'll try HI Galor.

I'm really not trying to be lazy here or get someone to hold my hand ( :unsure: )

Work has been very busy lately and as I spend all day using computers it is hard to do it when I get home... unless to just fire up a coop mission and start killing!!!

I don't even know what that Flash thing is.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yeah that's why it's a black art!

A couple of suggestions...

1) look through the GRAW1 map making forums

2) PM someone like Hi Galor

3) Check out this GRAW1 tutorial http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=353

I read it over when making my object mods. and it's pretty good...but you'll need to go elsewhere to learn about 3dsmax itself...but there are plenty of forums and training info. on the app itself.

"The first official GRAW Modding Tutorial from GRIN, pack includes the following. (1) GRAW: CUSTOM CONTENTS OVERVIEW (2) Atlasgen Tool Instructional Guide (3) HOW TO GET A TERRAIN INTO GRAW TUTORIAL (4) LIGHTMAPPED STATIC PROP TUTORIAL - and all associated files including max files, images and textures!"

I'm all out of options after that.

Dav

I had looked at that before but didn't explore the directories and didn't see everything.

I think that will fill in a lot of the holes in my knowledge base on this topic... which is currently mostly holes! :D

Sry AJ, I was not trying to undermind you in any way. I know you have been posting a lot lately on the subject, and can understand how frustrating it is, to not get the answers you want. I am also a little over run at work lately, and am finding little, if no time at all, for modding. So understood, it is difficult to create time just for researching. Also you never actually mentioned if you are able to create a landscape yet or not?

I would agree that the video tuts are not really much help, if you do not have any previous experience using the functions that are being displayed. Would definatly be an advantage for someone to do a little write up on the subject.

I don't even know what that Flash thing is.

It is just another Forum here at GR.Net, where you can discuss using such programs like 3D Max. Sure there are a lot of peeps still hanging around here that would be willing to offer advice, if needed, if the questions are asked. :thumbsup:

A further suggestion would be, to create a very basic landscape, non textured, and have it available on the wiki for others to download. Thus giving a starting point for all beginners to work from.

Good luck, and hopefully someone can chip in a bit more and get you started.

:)