Boardwalk Map

=US=PUNiSHER

I still have one last incomplete map on my computer that I'm gona try and finish so all my work doesn't go to waste. I have no pictures right now because it isn't textured but these are pictures its based off of. Its a massive map building project which will take time. Its a boardwalk map based off of any boardwalk you would find at the beach. I wanted it to be one of the coolest looking [GR] maps ever made and something fun to play. I'm gona go crazy with the sound effects here using a lot of carnival/boardwalk/beach sounds. The map is very detailed with a lot of building access. This is my farewell map to Ghost Recon map building and the game.

0008dik3.jpg6249886jg5.jpg

2733845469fcc8580544yb3.jpg2749064499c9f03dceabbfc9.jpg

boardwalksigns787201xx6.jpghuntingtonpierae3.gif

structure3xo2.jpgstructure11oe7.png

Looking forward to yet another great map from you, PUNiSHER. Thank you for finishing this project, but I also have to admit to some sadness about your decision to bid map building and Ghost Recon farewell. I assure you that you and your work would be sorely missed. Anyhow, good luck for you on this one and all of your future endeavors.

Does anybody know if its possible to create a texture that changes colors and has movement? If it was designed the same way some of the water textures are. I wanted a ferris wheel at night with changing colors and doing other things. Ferris wheels do some neat movements with the light effects at night and I wanted to know if it was possible to make something like that.

576321002_8f21645043.jpg

Edited by =US=PUNiSHER

can't comment much on that but do remember that deleyt had the low fog that appeared to be moving across the ground on WSV...and come to think the warhead display flashes..plus Phlookian has placed dynamic textures on a couple of televisions on his Blue Ivan redux for P2 map...

mig :ph34r:

Does anybody know if its possible to create a texture that changes colors and has movement? If it was designed the same way some of the water textures are. I wanted a ferris wheel at night with changing colors and doing other things. Ferris wheels do some neat movements with the light effects at night and I wanted to know if it was possible to make something like that.

Yes it is possible to make animated textures and use them in game. Map C07_Beach_Resort from Island Thunder uses 49 separate images set to cycle for the surf. Take a look at c07_water_wake.rsb in the RSB Editor. This one is even set to animate on the alpha channel. Myself, I've never had FPS issues on that map so I think you're safe.

All of the tanks in GR use a cycling image sequence for the tracks and road wheels to animate as well.

Another thing you should consider is making the whole ride a dynamic object and animating the group to rotate in a circle around the center axle like the real thing would.

The only problem I forsee is how it would look at night. The problem is that lights placed in the lighting tool are static so you'll have to fake it all in max by setting the material to be self-illuminating.

The best way to do this would be to have a texture that is somewhat small like 64h x 128w with the lights placed in a row. Then duplicate it for the amount of lights you have. Create a different alpha channel for each light in each texture (the one you want lit at any given moment). Save all of them as a rsb. Using the first texture in the sequence open it up in the RSB Editor and set the alpha channel properties and add the others that appear in sequence.

Take a look at the textures RSE made that are animated for more ideas and reference.

Oso

Thanks for the help OSO, also do you know how they got this texture from IT to light up? Is this a self illuminating texture like you were talking about? I would like to make the signs and billboards for the stores and other stuff to light up like that all across the boardwalk. I think that would look pretty cool.

snapshot4bk2.jpg

Yeah they're self illuminating. The texture name is bww_NEON_Sign.rsb. It looks like a slight blur was applied to the alpha channel to give it the glow effect.

I just looked at the map in the lighting tool and they are all glowing. They also placed colored point lights near them.

Yeah they're self illuminating. The texture name is bww_NEON_Sign.rsb. It looks like a slight blur was applied to the alpha channel to give it the glow effect.

I just looked at the map in the lighting tool and they are all glowing. They also placed colored point lights near them.

Brief aside: Do you tag them to be self-illuminating in 3DSM or the lighting tool? I briefly tried tagging something in 3DSM following RSE's map editor PDF and it didn't work, but wasn't in the mood for experimenting at the time.

Lighting tool is used to give it that added all round glow. The material editor in max is where you tag the material as self illuminating. Not tried this yet, will have a go when I get chance. Would be good if you let us know if you have success.

Lighting tool is used to give it that added all round glow. The material editor in max is where you tag the material as self illuminating. Not tried this yet, will have a go when I get chance. Would be good if you let us know if you have success.

Brief aside: Do you tag them to be self-illuminating in 3DSM or the lighting tool? I briefly tried tagging something in 3DSM following RSE's map editor PDF and it didn't work, but wasn't in the mood for experimenting at the time.

It really works fellas. I've used it multiple times.

I'll start a new thread with an example so I don't hijack this one with a Q&A session on Punisher's map.