Ghost Recon Announcement

Kimi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimi, can you at least confirm for us that the Blue Hud and Red Diamonds are gone? Would mean a great start...

pssst, come here. Come closer, a little closer. *whispers* Men and Guns are gone from the game...

In all seriousness, I would love to share things with you, but as you can see not even a game name or developing studio has been announced, so unlikely that game details are fair game just yet.

pssst, come here. Come closer, a little closer. *whispers* Men and Guns are gone from the game...

Yep, it will feature an all-female cast of ninjas, armed with katana and shuriken... :ph34r:

:rofl:

Maybe a little humor is exactly what is needed while waiting for GR4, although I would seriously like to see RSE being officially announced as development studio - there have been enough "experiments" for my taste. BTW - it would be very nice to hear how many (and who) of the original GR development team are still onboard at RSE. Any chance of some info in this regard?

I'm very keen to do some things looking back on GR legacy, like you mention about original team that is still around. What sort of things would you guys like to see?

How about the internal mission statements of the company...then (circa 2000) and now (after almost a decade as a wholly owned subsidiary of Ubisoft Entertainment)?

I'm very keen to do some things looking back on GR legacy, like you mention about original team that is still around. What sort of things would you guys like to see?

How about a list of the RSE employees who worked on the Ghost Recon team at release, that still work for RSE now. It could look something like this:

Greg Stelmack RSE

Gary Stelmack RSE

Brian Upton moved on

Diane Stelmack RSE

John Sonedecker moved on

A list like this would let us know who is still around and who is not.

It would be great to get a postmortem on some of the game design features. What were they trying to achieve? What were the challenges?What went right/wrong?

Specifically features like map/misson design (especially the non-linear aspects) single player squad commands, kit selection/restrictions, character unlocks and skill process and the mp/co-op server setup (obviously something that went very right). Also stuff about characteristics of AI behavior they were trying to make.

Respectfully

krise madsen

[...] BTW - it would be very nice to hear how many (and who) of the original GR development team are still onboard at RSE. Any chance of some info in this regard?
How about a list of the RSE employees who worked on the Ghost Recon team at release, that still work for RSE now. It could look something like this:

Greg Stelmack RSE

Gary Stelmack RSE

Brian Upton moved on

Diane Stelmack RSE

John Sonedecker moved on

A list like this would let us know who is still around and who is not.

Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. It would also be nice to include former and present job descriptions, so we can see who has been moving up in the world. :)

As for "Ghost Recon: Legacy" there is about a million things that come to my mind by just reading these words. :whistle:

It may be just a tad much to ask, but we could do an interview series with some remaining members of the original development team here at GR.net under that headline - you know, some sort of a "7 Years Later - A Retrospective" kinda thing.

RSE is a talented development shooter and is going to make a good game, but they make good action games (AA consoles, GRAW1/2 mp consoles) as well as they make good slow paced tactical shooters.

They're gonna make an awesome game, rest assured, but whether it's EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS WANT is obviously going to be up in the air. They have to find a way to appeal to the massive graw1/2 audience, don't forget, or we'll hear your guys' whining from a whole new crowd.

"Looking back on" won't do it for me. "Getting back to" is what I would like to see. ;)

How about the internal mission statements of the company...then (circa 2000) and now (after almost a decade as a wholly owned subsidiary of Ubisoft Entertainment)?

:rofl::thumbsup: .

Edited by doubletap

BTW - it would be very nice to hear how many (and who) of the original GR development team are still onboard at RSE. Any chance of some info in this regard?

Several years ago I actually took the credits from GR, DS, IT and created a spreadsheet that compared who the common developers were between the games.

I wonder if I still have that somewhere. :hmm:

Id love to see some bios of the top development staff. Include what they love about Ghost Recon, how long they have been involved in the series and what was their first experience with the game.

Also like to concept art for Ghost Recon 4 when its allowed.

Id also love to see some information on the sequels to the IGOR editor.

how long they have been involved in the series and what was their first experience with the game.

i shudder to think.....

"my first experience of Ghost Recon was GRAW..." :blink:

I know some guys, actually. They're really proud that their art was in a game that sold great, achieved critical acclaim, and entertained a whole lot of people -- who continued to play it online for years.

Really worth shuddering over how the hard work of those developers was wasted on a game just as successful as the original GR. ^_^

Really worth shuddering over how the hard work of those developers was wasted on a game just as successful as the original GR. ^_^

What is your favorite game, Sup? Let's just for arguments sake say it was, for example, Pac-Man (this is just a simplified example - I don't want to suggest that this actually is your favorite game), and you like the entire gameplay of that game - the maze, the Pac-Dots, hunting the Ghosts (no pun intended). You admire the game's concept and style, and just love every aspect of the very special game genre Pac-Man created.

Now imagine you played Pac-Man for years, you still love it just like it is, and there is news about a sequel coming up. You impatiently await that sequel, hoping for even more of that Pac-Man fun you enjoyed so very much over the years. But when the sequel is finally released, it comes with a completely different gameplay that places it in a different genre. Imagine the sequel is a 3D racing game, and while that little Pac-Man is still present, he now sits in a little Pac-Car and races against the evil Ghosts on some race track in full 3D, just like e.g. Out Run (btw another excellent classic).

Even if the new gameplay provided a lot of fun, that sequel would simply not be the Pac-Man game you loved anymore. And maybe - on top of that - you soon discovered that the actual Out Run game was even more fun when it comes to racing games. So what do you do now? Can you substitute playing Pac-Man with a Pac-Man racing game, or even by playing Out Run? Hmm... I don't think so.

With this little story I try to explain to you what it is that drives me and many others to ask for a true Ghost Recon sequel. It has nothing to do with the GRAW's being perceived as "bad" games. It has nothing to do with considering them as unsuccessful. It has nothing to do with our unwillingness to change. But it has everything to do with our desire to play an "old-school" tactical shooter that drew us all to this website and community in the first place. It has everything to do with a style of gameplay that is not found in new games anywhere, anymore. It has everything to do with the founder of an entire game genre disappearing from the face of the earth - a game genre that also started our community here at GR.net.

Please try to understand - we truly truly miss this game so very much. It has given us so much joy with its unique character, and we simply want that kind of fun back in our lives with a worthy successor. Forgive us for the bitterness that sometimes shines through in comments about other games that have the words "Ghost Recon" in their names, but it is just hard to bear to see these words being used again and again for something that offers no consolation to us, no real resemblance of the friend we so sorely miss.

This is the reason why we shudder to think someone might actually have no other experience with the Ghost Recon franchise than with the GRAW sequels. They are great games in their own right, but they simply cannot represent what Ghost Recon means to us, and I highly doubt this website and the huge GR fan community in general would even be in existence, if it wasn't for that one "first-person-shooter" that added a completely new meaning to these words.

It has nothing to do with the GRAW's being perceived as "bad" games. It has nothing to do with considering them as unsuccessful.

But perceiving GRAW as bad games and blindly criticizing ubisoft and attacking the Devs is much of what goes on around here, and what i was responding to. I'm all for you guys saying you want [GR] back, it was one of my favorite games too, that's why i started posting here.

But it's no small wonder the developers don't pay this community much heed when they continue to spout nonsense about ubisoft going downhill financially and being some kind of an evil emire -- i'd say they're pretty proud of the games they worked on.

But it's no small wonder the developers don't pay this community much heed when they continue to spout nonsense about ubisoft going downhill financially and being some kind of an evil emire -- i'd say they're pretty proud of the games they worked on.

Just to correct that misnomer, the developers do indeed pay this community heed, they have a history of it, and continue to do so.

Trying to link an individuals personal opinion regarding a publishers financial viability to the attention a developer is likely to take of a communitys feedback on game mechanics is absurd.