Youtube Now Muting All Copyright Music

Fletch

http://mashable.com/2009/01/14/youtube-mutes-videos/

Perhaps this has been going on for a while, but I’ve never noticed it before. YouTube users often create an original video using their favorite popular song as the audio. I’m afraid that they won’t be able to do that much longer, since YouTube has started muting videos that use unauthorized copyrighted music (and that pretty much means all user-created videos.)

You can see some examples here, here and here.

The official notice from YouTube under the video says the following:

“This video contains an audio track that has not been authorised by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled.â€

And now we know the rest of the story. :rocky:

____

Based on just the first page of the mashable comments I had loaded there seems to be a great many out there with self-entitlement issues, or think that the law does not matter or pertain to them.

Let the boycott of youtube commence, along with a migration to their competition, to be closely followed by their competition repeating youtubes CYA footsteps and putting a clampdown on the copyright infringement. What a nice little circle that will be for those without A Few Guiding Principles.

Boycotting YouTube is what will happen as people look to other services to post their videos. YouTube stock will crash leaving them with a big question, do they go out of business or allow the music?

^

Or you can look at it this way. Lets just assume that some publishing house/copywrite broker/holder does set their feet and files papers against youtube for current and past trangressions, that Googles safe harbor (provisions) does not hold water and, without settlement, that the plaintiff wins the argument...have you seen the amounts that have been suggested in previous lawsuits. $150,000.00 and up per violation starts to add up to real money after a few clicks- to say nothing about a few thousand.

No advertiser (or customer goodwill) is worth that kind of potential headache for the corporation.

So it's clear, YouTube are telling us to make a choice: adapt or die. I have made my choice; I choose to fight back.

Boycott YouTube - fight the oppression.

LoL, get out your che' shirts! :zorro:

I think that it is silly of them, (RIAA/Whoever) as these are not for profit things, that are seen by thousands and if they like the music they are more likely to go out and buy it.

Edited by Fletch

I think that it is silly of them, (RIAA/Whoever) as these are not for profit things, that are seen by thousands and if they like the music they are more likely to go out and buy it.

I think that don't understand us.

I think that is legally liable and could easily be brought down by lawsuits unless they take steps like this.

But hey, go ahead and keep calling them evil.

This makes me wonder how far the RIAA and music industry in general will pursue the issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong the only breach of the copy protection is digitally distributing it? Other wise it is assumed the music was legally purchased in which case making a non-profit home video is completely ok under law.

How far is this going to go??? This opens up a big door of all kinds of legal violation for the user created content world of youtube not to mention the complications.

Like what if your recording video at a party while the music is blasting and then the audio filters pick it up.....

this could kinda get nuts.

Have you been to any resturants lately when they sing Happy Birthday to a patron? It is never the official HB song unless its sung by the customers themselves. I was told by a resturant worker it because they will get in trouble if they sing the real song cause they didn't pay royalties to use the song at their business, (each time its sung).