Dynacomp Download

Parabellum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dyna.jpg

I wanted to get deep into the campaign today, but those guys at the Embassy had a different idea. And then just as I thought I had the upper hand, they go and call in the armour!

Tough mission, very enjoyable, no soul switching, nice/clever touch.

More soon...

Been playing the first campaign mission (on "Elite" setting - have not tried the .exe yet) for some time now - super-intense firefights with extremely aggressive OpFor! Enemy AI feels "human" in a very creepy way! I don't remember getting my ass handed to me like that in a while! Every time I think my position is secured, some bad guys show up in an unexpected location and teach me otherwise. And forget about creeping up on an enemy from behind - they keep checking their six regularly! Lots of fun!

Some new features: Menu screens, music, actors/characters wearing redesigned BDU's with new attachments, weapons, weapon ballistics, adjusted combat model, weapon sounds, reticles, maps, missions (obviously), cinematics, no soul-switching (in first campaign mission), to name but a few.

The story line, which is briefly touched in the ReadMe, reads like the intro to a Tom Clancy novel and hints at what may be the reason for the many surprises I encountered during the first campaign mission (although I may be wrong on this). The concept behind the campaign is just brilliant, the story introduction makes me want to know more - much much more!

Although this is unfinished work, the premise of the campaign and the suspense encountered in the first mission alone captured me right away. This mod needs to be finished! The little glimpse this preview provides is more than enough to wipe away any doubts about it - and I've only just played the first mission! Para, I'm sorry - but I think you have to quit your job and keep working on Dynacomp!

Initial impression? Two thumbs up! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seconded!! The concept and back story are simply brilliant: Red Dawn for a new geopolitical age: I'm getting that [GR] shiver running up my spine all over again...

Given what Para says in his readme about the lack of missions being the area where this mod finally ran into the sand (and mission scripting *does* take time, hell I know that..) could I suggest that if anyone's got capacity and is still looking for a grand collaborative finale for GR... this could be it?

I can only imagine what Mig, Lighty and co could do with this material... just awesome...

Theo

PS: in the absence of soul-switching, friendly AI *do* need to be maxed on points, I reckon. Just saying, from recent experience on top of City Hall... :thumbsup:

Edited by TheoRetiKule

I don't even remember how we deactivated it. Forcing you to play one character was the whole point though. I'd suggest just keeping your head down, and managing your team well. The whole point of DYNACOMP, from the player's perspective, was to introduce an RPG element to the game. You start with your character, and develop that character as you go along. I wanted the player to really have the sense that "I need to keep my head down, and not be a hero." If you go run-and-gun, you're going to get shot. You're outnumbered and outgunned, so you have to think accordingly. Likewise , when you do take the fight to the enemy, you have to give them hell, and then get the hell out of there asap, before they can regroup and hand you your butt. On this mission though, the best strategy is to hunker down, and wait to be rescued.

The trick to the first mission is to stay down. Have one of your teams watch that staircase leading to the roof. Toss an occasional frag over the building. But overall, stay down. If you're patient and skilled, you'll eventually be able to clear enough enemy forces to accomplish your objectives. If you haven't gotten far enough to see it, you eventually get rescued by American armored forces. It's quite cool, actually. :)

If you haven't gotten far enough to see it, you eventually get rescued by American armored forces. It's quite cool, actually. :)

It is pretty cool! Except my friendly tank couldn't aim very well! It kept firing at and missing the enemy tank right in front of the embassy. Eventually I realized I had to run up to the roof to extract, but I was running around trying to figure out how to get my AI buddies to fire at the enemy tank. Result: dead AI buddies.

Still, it was a fun mission!

• 2 weeks later...

FileFront sometimes deletes downloads without warning - it appears to be a known technical issue with their "download inactivity" system. Normally, this should only happen to files not being accessed in a long time, but lately the system acts up a bit and appears to kill files and download links at random.

I'll say...they deleted my 3 newest uploads! I just tried to upload an 18 mb file too and both times I tried it would go through the process only to come back and give an error stating that there is a problem processing my login???! weird This is scary as I have many important files there not to mention all the GR.net stuff Rocky has there...

mig :ph34r:

The whole point of DYNACOMP, from the player's perspective, was to introduce an RPG element to the game. You start with your character, and develop that character as you go along.

If the player AI were better I'd say this was great! However, the player side AI is absolutely STUPID! :lol: I normally set my team up in single-player as A- Rifle, Rifle, Support B-Rifle, Demo C-Sniper. After the game starts I normally use "C", the sniper, and use the commands to direct the A & B teams. In this mod I had to reverse that, but no big deal - I can adapt. The problem issue is that even though the demo AI is equipped with anti-tank it WILL NOT USE IT against the tanks! :wall: (The caps were for emphasis, not shouting). Same for if they have the demo charges in a mission, they won't set them themselves even if you bump them into the objective.

The lack of soul switching is a cool idea, but the game play goes bonkers without it, as follows:

First mission:

1st play - ended up top of A team for my character, couldn't switch to preferred C....result, end mission, repick team and restart.

2nd play - C team has demo character with AT but AI would not use it. Kneeled down and fired rifle until killed

3rd play - same as 2 above

4th play - same as 2 above

5th play - same as 2 above

6th play - same as 2 above :wall:

7th play - B & C AI team members block each other on staircase, can't get any team member other than *my* character off the embassy builtding. :wall: (result - had to kill first two team AI members to get the others off the roof)

8th play - Set myself as the demo with AT and gave sniper duties to C (AI). Better, but still had 2 team AI block the stairs, had to kill them to get the rest of the team off the roof.

9th play - As 8 above, and got through the mission OK....until...... reinforcements arrive and the M2 ran over my B team. :o

10th play - As 8 above, without the team kills, but then couldn't get all of the rescued soldiers/crew to go to the M2.

The last issue with the rescued folks not going to the M2 I can deal with as that's been part of GR from the beginning, but the AI blocking each other *was* an easy fix to just switch off to the offending AI and move them a tad to get them going in the right direction then switch back to *your* character.

As an MP campaign with a real person controlling each member of the team it'd be great, but in single-player mode it's a major hassle. You can't be *your* character if *your* character is joe sixpack the rifleman when on the next mission you have to switch to be the support guy, or the sniper guy or the demo guy in order to accomplish the mission. Having to switch *your* character to another just go get a mission completed pretty much defeats the purpose of removing the soul switching to begin with.

With the problem issues stated, I do like the mod so far. The enemy AI is much tougher, the mission is scripted fantastically for a good hard battle, and the background is GREAT!!!

Thanks for the mod and sorry it never got finished. I've been waiting for it for a long while.

- P@LaD!n (playing GR1 since '02)

I'll say...they deleted my 3 newest uploads! I just tried to upload an 18 mb file too and both times I tried it would go through the process only to come back and give an error stating that there is a problem processing my login???! weird This is scary as I have many important files there not to mention all the GR.net stuff Rocky has there...

mig :ph34r:

Yeh this error is affecting many users, me too. One work around is to login and go to the upload screen, now log out. The upload dialog will still be there, upload as normal. When it refreshes look carefully and you will see a download link.

Since I made my post I decided to go take a look at the mission scripting. The "allow players to switch avatar" was *off*, so I turned it back to *on* in the mission scripts. Went back through and everything played just fine. This time when the AI hung up on the stairs I just switched, moved a little, and switched back.

Great idea to limit the avatar/soul switching, but the AI is too stupid to deal with. The change was quick and easy, less than 5 minutes to open Igor, load the mission, and find the line in the script and set to "on"

Great mod!