Windows 7 Beta Free Official Download Tomorrow

Rocky

First off, I'm using Vista Business without any problems, so it's not like I have an axe to grind against Vista per se.

However, looking at my dads two year old laptop running XP, I don't really see the point of Vista for an average non-sophisticated PC user like me.

If I had the choice, I would have bought a new, XP-equipped laptop with the same (lower) specs as my dads, foregone the Vista eye-candy (not that there's that much of it) and put the money I saved away for a dedicated gaming PC. However, I didn't really have that choice.

Apart from the fact that any new softare usually has teething problems, when we talk about new Windows versions, at lest post-Windows 95, what are the critiques we hear over and over again?

- It's a resource hog. We need PC horsepower for playing games and other applications, not for clicking on Windows icons.

- It's bloated. It comes pre-installed with tons of crap the average user will never use, or even know exists. And even if you put in an effort to get rid of the excess fat, knowing where to cut is pretty difficult for an average nitwit like me.

So what I suppose most users would really need from Windows 7 is something designed to be as frugal with hardware power the same way modern laptop processors are designed to be frugal with battery power. Plus, not pre-installed with bloatware (there's no reason why applications that might be useful can't be availible through a simple download service. Tie that service into an authentication system and you also have a nifty piracy prevention system, Stardock style).

Of course, for that to happen, Microsoft would have do things exactly opposite of how they've always done things. But hey, one can always hope, right?

Respectfully

krise madsen

Apart from the fact that any new softare usually has teething problems, when we talk about new Windows versions, at lest post-Windows 95, what are the critiques we hear over and over again?

- It's a resource hog. We need PC horsepower for playing games and other applications, not for clicking on Windows icons.

- It's bloated. It comes pre-installed with tons of crap the average user will never use, or even know exists. And even if you put in an effort to get rid of the excess fat, knowing where to cut is pretty difficult for an average nitwit like me.

I have done little reading on W7 so far Krise, but I did read that MS have worked to make it run well on even the most modest of systems (inc laptops), and I also saw some startup benchmarks that place it ahead of WinXP and Vista, which is cool.

I have a spare PC set at the moment, I'm not sure what to do with it now - install this W7 beta, or Unbuntu...

I'd wait to buy Win7 when it releases.

in the mean time, i suggest you go to www.neowin.net /forums/windows beta forum and read the threads about Windows7.

From what I have read thus far, Win7 is what Vista should have been. see screens and get feed back from actual beta testers of the various build(s). it would seem that build 7000 is the most current build being tested. I think I'll be doing away with my Vista when Win7 releases for my soon to be laptop by upgrading from my Vista

Running the beta version (30 days free) and I'm impressed.

I don't know Vista so cannot compare but it's user friendly, many features.

I don't think it boots faster than XP but once the Windows bar switches to the desktop, there's definitely a difference.

I didn't need to install any driver.

You can install the OS on a partition or second hdd and when you power up there's a dual boot option.

It is said that if MS ever brings something to the market that does not suck, it's a vacuum cleaner but I've got the feeling that Win-7 proves this wrong.

Anyone planning on trying Windows 7 out?

I am planning to give it a spin. I have an extra partition to run it on so hope to have time to dload and install in the next week.

I am actually primarily using Vista on all my systems now with XP dual-booting as backup. Even with all its bloat, Vista is fine as long as you were willing to spend enough to have a fast enough computer to run it. (I.e. don't buy a cheap laptop with an AMD Turion to run it)

I think Vista's bad reputation is generally undeserved, as all new OS's have growing pains initially, but everyone loves to hate Microsoft and Microsoft-bashing is a publically accepted( inter)national past-time.

I think the biggest problem with the bloat is the fact that MS is requiring all sorts of drivers to run everything and anything the minute something is plugged into a PC.

The other thing is all the little programs like Paint, the games (Vista added more preinstalled games than XP) and in the case of Vista, Windows Media Center.

If MS would release a stripped down version of an OS for "advanced" users with fewer services and fewer "goodies" that general PC users would need would most likely be welcomed by power users and gamers alike.

That said, I have to say that once several settings were changed to my Vista install on my laptop, it has been a breeze using it. I do not have any real complaints outside of the fact my laptop isn't really for gaming, but I can at least play some older games on it though not some of the more intensive games I have like Flight Simulator (scenery and hundreds of AI aircraft can really slow it down, I have over 3000 AI aircraft though not all are visible at one time, just the ones in a 100 square mile area (guesstimate) are plotted and kept track of at any one time).

Absolutely not. Ubuntu gives me everything I need and more free of charge.

If you keep harping on about Ubuntu... I'm going to have to try it out! I do have a spare PC lying around I could try it on...

I really like it. If you need help or something just send me a PM.

Back on topic, I'm really hoping Windows 7 turns out to be great. Maybe the new kernel design will have improved performance over Vista. Have they released any details if they are going to have different versions? I hated the fact that there were different versions of Vista.... just have two versions, regular and professional like in XP..... <_<

I installed it on a test machine at work today, runs great. Tomorrow I'm going to try it out on an older box, and see what happens. So far it looks like a step in the right direction.

Tell us what the specs are on the machine if you test it out. I'd be curious to see how fast it runs on older boxes.

Tell us what the specs are on the machine if you test it out. I'd be curious to see how fast it runs on older boxes.

I installed it on the type of box most commonly used at my job, a 5, soon to be 6 year old machine. It has a 2.8 ghz P4, 512MB DDR (not sure what speed), 40GB 5400 RPM HD, integrated video and integrated audio. I had to bring in a personally owned DVD drive, and swap it in, just so I could try and install it. :lol:

It actually runs pretty well, I was surprised. Another 512mb of ram would make a major difference though. During the install process I thought it froze a number of times but it just took a lot longer to move to the next step compared to our new machines.

One thing though I doubt if we loaded up all of the programs we currently run with XP (on the same box) that it would play nice. I didn't load our AV suite, or the software for our smart boards, the latter is a real system hog. Might have to try it tomorrow, and see if the thing explodes...

My biggest grip about Windows Vista is they dropped support for DOS based programs and the FAT32 file system. I won't be buying another Windows Operating System disc as long as I can avoid it. Microsoft wants too much for their products. I got fortunate and found a copy of Windows Vista 32-bit for $70. Over $70 is just a rip off. I doubt I am going to need more than 3.25 gigabytes of RAM for quite some time so I can just stay with Windows Vista for hopefully another six years.

I love Linux, but what was the point of the above post?

On topic: I've not tried Win7 btw, but only because I don't currently have my "own" computer.

:edit:

Check out this little review...

Impressive... Most Impressive.

A simple statement that as a windows user I hate the fact we are force feed OSes that are not complete or broken from the get go. Is Win7 worth it? who knows. Until it hits the streets legitely will you know. I knew a bunch of people who were all hyped over Vista... until it was released. If i didn't play games that required windows to play them I wouldn't use windows. That clarify it for ya snake?

Edited by njmatrix

Some of you need to read about shadow copying and what it does for users to really appreciate vista (note not in the home or basic version)

As for Windows 7... i never run the betas. They are never what it ends up being. Currently it's vista with an improved desktop (mainly)

Also note... in Vista after SP1 i don't have to load most drivers. it finds them for me if you have an internet connection.

as for the comment on paint... i still use it. It's the best way to do a print screen and copy then circle instructions and save as jpeg for a quick email to a customer to solve a problem. :P

For the comment on dos games... which one's don't work? i know decent, duke nukem 3d and wolfenstein 3d work on mine. Use dosbox to emulate older dos... http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=46709http://www.dosbox.com/

As for Linux... until everything has an install package... it will never make the desktop for the average user. Sure it will fit on a cd... but how many apps can you fit on a cd? case closed. (btw asus has egate now (similar to linux and is part of the bios) gives you internet and a browser yet smaller by far then a cd if you just want to browse.

And lets not forget ultimate boot cd... windows xp stripped to fit on a cd with repair tools, internet and drivers for network cards and some antivirus removal utilities...

Anybody know when it's scheduled for release?

No official release date announced yet. I read somewhere MS is aiming for a 2010 release but Bill Gates said in a recent presentation it would be out by the end of 2009. At this point, don't believe anyone who claims they know the release date Windows 7, because MS doesn't know.

We'll see a Release Candidate 1 and 2 first, then a multi-million dollar launch campaign when the time comes ...

A simple statement that as a windows user I hate the fact we are force feed OSes that are not complete or broken from the get go. Is Win7 worth it? who knows. Until it hits the streets legitely will you know. I knew a bunch of people who were all hyped over Vista... until it was released. If i didn't play games that required windows to play them I wouldn't use windows. That clarify it for ya snake?

I did understand the point you were trying to make, but I found your point to be (imo) off-topic and I got a little sarcastic. Sorry, no mal-intent meant. Your original post simply reads like a intervention attempt ^_^.

I as well would probably cease with Windows if I honestly could, but I can't tear myself away from it. I just hate breaking X. lol And I need Windows to run a lot of programs.

BUT BE FULL OF HOPE!

I really do have high hopes for Win7. I'd had a bad feeling about Vista all along. even pre-release...

I as well would probably cease with Windows if I honestly could, but I can't tear myself away from it. I just hate breaking X. lol And I need Windows to run a lot of programs.

Just for my understanding: have you ever tried to use Linux or yours is a prejudice? There are things that Linux is limited but there are other things where it is much better.

I'm not using Linux as a way of living, I use it because it's a very good OS. If I need to use some softwares that in Windows are better (or in Linux don't exist) I use Windows (honestly speaking right now they are only Ghost Recon, PDF Express Viewer and Nokia Suite)

I use Winds Xp, Own Vista, Will never install it again and If I could run games under Ubuntu I would completely stop using Microsoft products.

Do you have any desire to sell your installation disc of Windows Vista?

Edited by Militiaman

Just for my understanding: have you ever tried to use Linux or yours is a prejudice? There are things that Linux is limited but there are other things where it is much better.

I'm not using Linux as a way of living, I use it because it's a very good OS. If I need to use some softwares that in Windows are better (or in Linux don't exist) I use Windows (honestly speaking right now they are only Ghost Recon, PDF Express Viewer and Nokia Suite)

I figured the part about breaking X was a dead giveaway! lol :lol: Yes, I've used multiple distros, including Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, SimplyMepis, and Sabayon. Like I said, I like Linux, but I need Windows. Admittedly, my first time with Linux, I was using a desktop with an ATI video card (Compatibility issues), and I also tried Linux on my AMD (Compatibility issues) laptop with a Nvidia 6150 Go (Compatibility issues). I kept breaking X with every distro I used, trying to install drivers for either video or chipset support.