Cvg Say GR4 News Soon!

Back in November last year after spotting an advert for Ghost Recon 4 on Play.com, we speculated about the chances of the next Ghost Recon title being released in time for Christmas 2009. Now computerandvideogames.com reckon they have an insider who revealed that Ubisoft is set to make an announcement regarding the next Ghost Recon title.

Don't stray far from your seat folks, the Ubisoft marketing machine is readying itself... In the meantime feel free to use our Ghost Recon 4 forums!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205377

both Clancy games will be announcedby the French publisher later this year

Is that a typo because I would assume the announcement would come well before "later this year" if they are expected to be out before Christmas.

What's not clear is whether or not the new games will be continuations of current-gen spin-offs Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six Vegas, or entirely new entries.

It was confirmed on the UBI forums awhile back that they are done with Vegas on the R6 series. Though they didn't say one way or the other if it would be a single location again or multiple locations ala older R6 titles.

Edited by Bota:16

At a guess Id say Ghost Recon 4 will be out autumn time this year and the new Rainbow Six will be out 2010. I expect both to have radically new engines powering them. But I'm sure we'll hear more about both next month.

Im very curious to hear about the setting of Ghost Recon 4. My bet is on China. Specifically the Chinese/Russia border in the East of both countries.

or it could just be an announcement that there will be no pc version.. How rude that would be. o.0

That's fine with me, if they continue to depart from the original concept and core gameplay, they can take their PC version and ram it. I'll be perfectly happy to NOT buy yet another Ubi/Clancy title and spend all my time and money on Arma 2.

I hate to be so negative, but at this point is there any reason AT ALL to be optimistic?

Actually, if GRAW and GRAW 2 were ported instead of being released as separate entities I'd still probably be playing them, especially if they allowed for a first person view. Even more so if they included a "hardcore" mode. The game is a BLAST in coop. Way more so than the PC versions, or even more modern coop games like L4D and CoD5.

Actually, if GRAW and GRAW 2 were ported instead of being released as separate entities I'd still probably be playing them, especially if they allowed for a first person view. Even more so if they included a "hardcore" mode. The game is a BLAST in coop. Way more so than the PC versions, or even more modern coop games like L4D and CoD5.

I don't even know what to say to that. As much as I don't like the pc version, I utterly hate the consol versions. Totally unplayable for me. I refuse to be directed from objective to objective by "command" or that idiot in the helo. The arcady hud all over my screen, scripted events and dialog throughout the entire campaign, and the inability to mod that crap out permanently (thank you for your nocom mod BTW !!). I also find the aiming in graw2 unbearable. You can't aim in small degrees, it's practically one speed, period, like you're moving the view with a button instead of an analog stick. There's no logic to the enemy AI behavior, they just remind me of those "punch the bouncing monkey" minigames. Just because an enemy zipping around is challenging to hit doesn't make it realistic in any way.

I don't want to go off on a rant (too late?), this is really off topic. Back on topic I am certainly keeping an eye out for GR4 news but it's not that I'm looking forward to it, I already know it won't be something I will buy. It's more morbed curiosity than anything.

I hate to be so negative, but at this point is there any reason AT ALL to be optimistic?

Yes there is.

RSE is in charge of the full game and the head developers at RSE take a great amount of time listening to our requests. Plus they understand the core comcepts of Ghost Recon. If you have an Xbox 360 then take a look at the co-op campaign for both the co-op collections. Granted the core gameplay is still the unrealistic GRAW gameplay but its amazing what they did with those missions. Some are on par if not better than the missions on [GR].

I am not a fan of GRAW. Hate it in fact as a Ghost Recon title. But I'm very optimistic for Ghost Recon 4.

If you have an Xbox 360 then take a look at the co-op campaign for both the co-op collections. Granted the core gameplay is still the unrealistic GRAW gameplay but its amazing what they did with those missions.

I was afraid to download them because from what I saw in the default game (campaign and to a lesser extent co-op) I thought it would be a waste of money.

I'll d'load them and check 'em out though. For what it's worth, I was not saying there's no reason to be optimistic, I was literally asking "is there any reason to be?", and your reply does indeed give some hope. I hope you're right about RSE, but I have every reason to be wary of Ubisoft. I'm not negative out of spite, I'm negative from watching helplessly as the GR series is intentionally transformed into something else entirely, as Ubisoft desparately chases a teen market rather than set the standard as they did with GR.

I'm surprised the Silent Hunter sim continues to remain a pure sim with "Ubisoft" behind it. That alone is a tiny spark of hope for the GR series, I suppose.

Edited by bigcat75

...I'm very optimistic for Ghost Recon 4.
But the right people are at the helm now.
Aren't these kind of predictions just setting yourself (and/or possibly others) up for a big (and predictable) let-down?

RSE circa 2009 is nothing close to resembling the RSE of old and, discounting the rumor mill, to date RSE has said nothing/nada about any course correction(s) they intend to make regarding the game style/mechanics of GR.

And then there is always the fact that Ubisoft (and their accountants) must be taken into account. They are on record as being happy with the direction of the franchise so far and are looking forward to merging our hero & the Three Amigos into the Clancy World/EndWar tie-ins in the near future...something I doubt anyone here would honestly suggest bodes well for a return of the old non-linear/open-ended gameplay.

RSE is in charge of the full game and the head developers at RSE take a great amount of time listening to our requests...
GRIN - who are also a great group of developers- were attentive here (well, for awhile) on these boards during the :AW* timeline and listened to our requests and comments as well, and yet, what did that net us?

____

My prediction is in reserve until there is actual news out -from the devs- on any future installment.

My statement " But the right people are at the helm now " is a personal opinion based on my gaming perferences and how I rate the RSE team that were responsible for the co-op collection map packs.

The wrong people are the Ubisoft team that made the single player portion of GRAW/GRAW 2 on consoles and GRIN ( no offence ).

Edited by BS PALADIN

Personally, I can't say that the right people are at the helm for the next GR. The level designer is long gone and formed his own company. Others have left as well like Brian Upton who gave us the Ghosts in Georgia. Unless RSE hired others with the ideas that the minds that these 2 guys and others have, then there is no way that the right people are on the job. As of yet, there is no evidence of who, if anyone is working on a GR4 and until there is, it is all just speculation.

???

Hello Paladin, to answer your 3 questions...

1. Somebody from RSE was here.

2. I’m not saying who.

3. Probly nothing. I just find it amusing that he would brows this topic only and then leave.

Just like a reconnaissance mission before an attack. The calm before the Storm ?