Various Map Making Questions.

AJ59

1. How important are the following procedures?

Cover Point Generation?

Cubemap Generation?

Lightmap Generation?

Silhoulette Generation?

In this case I started with one of the game maps so I suspect most of these are already there. But I also suspect some need to be redone depending on the changes I make to the map objects.

2. What do all those yellow things do in the game?

3. How can I control the amount of light or dark inside a building? Close off windows or block them with trees, etc.. then redo the Cubemap and Lightmaps?

4. Trying to move objects or units around with the mouse can be extremely frustrating. Besides the Ctrl UpArrow or Ctrl DnArrow... are there any more?

That's it for now!

Would UBI sue us if we copied the Tutorials into the Wiki and then added more information to it?

I am just learning this stuff too...but I'll have a go at sharing what I know...

1. How important are the following procedures?

Cover Point Generation?

According to the pdf, not very. These are additional cover points. The game will play perfectly well without additional cover points being generated. The objects (buildings, cars etc) already have their own cover points built in. I usually choose maps that have some varability in the terain though, ie potholes etc., and in this case, it's worth it to create cover points.

Cubemap Generation?

Magic

Lightmap Generation?

If you make changes to the large objects on the map you'll need to regen. the lightmap (ie. removing a building). Best avoided as it will take a LOOOONG time (ie. go to sleep). If you are just placing walls, cars etc. i do not bother with it.

Silhoulette Generation?

In this case I started with one of the game maps so I suspect most of these are already there. But I also suspect some need to be redone depending on the changes I make to the map objects.

The are ambient dummies. They set the light point for that area when generating the light map. You can put them in dark places, like inside buildings to brighten the place up a bit. Hopefully someone else can give a more detailed explanation.

3. How can I control the amount of light or dark inside a building? Close off windows or block them with trees, etc.. then redo the Cubemap and Lightmaps?

Ambient dummies again...see point 2.

4. Trying to move objects or units around with the mouse can be extremely frustrating. Besides the Ctrl UpArrow or Ctrl DnArrow... are there any more?

If you press control, and shift when using the arrows you get different axies of movement...ie control-down arrow lowers the item in height (x-axis).

Would UBI sue us if we copied the Tutorials into the Wiki and then added more information to it?

Nope. It's a public PDF....note that I have uploaded and linked these tutorial files on the wiki. However, I think you're looking to add then to a wiki page so they can be dynamically updated with more info. I think that's a great idea - so go for it.

Dav

------------------

re. doing stuff in 3sdMax...

Here is a link to a tutorial for GRAW1, which I think is basically the same for GRAW2, though I think GRAW2 uses 3dsMax 8.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/files2/index.php...view&id=353

And this link talks about it for [GR] but may be on interest...as I am sure the principles are the same.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...=51154&hl=#

Does not actually look that hard to create a very basic flat landscape...famous last words. perhaps something for the holiday period....

Really must get this 3dsMax info. one the wiki!

Dav.

Lightmap Generation?

If you make changes to the large objects on the map you'll need to regen. the lightmap (ie. removing a building). Best avoided as it will take a LOOOONG time (ie. go to sleep). If you are just placing walls, cars etc. i do not bother with it.

Dav.

Tried this last night prior to going to bed and the Editor crashed with an "out of memory" message.

Have 3GB of RAM... so guess I won't be generating any light maps.

Tried this last night prior to going to bed and the Editor crashed with an "out of memory" message.
Depending on your current settings, but sometimes you could get around this (and similar issues in :AW) by running the editor using an 800x600res -Windowed.

The are ambient dummies. They set the light point for that area when generating the light map. You can put them in dark places, like inside buildings to brighten the place up a bit. Hopefully someone else can give a more detailed explanation.

Ambient dummies again...see point 2.

Sorry to be so dense...

but what about making it darker inside a building??

I am trying to make the inside of a building very dark... there are no ambient dummies in it... except when I am in there checking the position for the guard.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello AJ. I just added a larger building and have just the opposite problem as you do. What occured is that I created this prop and initially was way too bright... as though the building itself was generating light. So I put a few of the ambient dummies in the building, generated the lightmaps and it was extremely dark. Regenerated the lightmaps and it had no effect after placing more light maps and even a few industrial lights.

However, you can adjust your environmental settings which can certainly help to a point.

In the world_info.xml you can change to whatever environment that you wish:

<environments path="environments.xml" environment="AJsEnvironment"/>
[/code]

Then in your environments.xml, you just pick whichever environment you want.

In the world_info.xml, you may wish to experiment with the different default settings. For a real dark interior environment, the Nowhere Perkele environment seemed to do the trick. You can also experiment with the luminance settings. In the post effects section, adjusting the alpha values is how I was able to adjust for the varring levels of fog or thickness in the air.

Hope this helps.