Ubisoft To Release Final Ghost Recon Update And Expansion Pack In 2009

ApexMods

OK, I admit it: I lured you here with a sensationalist headline (although the topic description should be a dead giveaway), and - as far as I know - there are no such plans in Ubisoft's top drawer. But let's just for fun pretend that there were! Let's imagine they surprise us all with a nice farewell to the founder of this franchise before they move on to write the next chapter in the Ghost Recon saga.

Imagine they fix all the little bugs that remained after the last update, do some code optimization and improve compatibility and performance on the latest hardware and operating systems, modernize IGOR just a tad, and maybe even polish the user interface a bit.

Imagine they offer a new and final expansion pack on top of this, complete with a full mission campaign, with a new story in a new environment, new characters, maps, weapons and equipment - the works. Not necessarily larger than Desert Siege or Island Thunder - about the same amount of content.

I don't think I even have to ask you for your opinion on this - you are right here at GhostRecon.net reading this post, so I guess it's safe to assume that you, at the very least, have some interest in this, but still, I want to know: How would you feel about this? Would you welcome such an offer?

Of course, one can ask: Now why would Ubisoft do such a thing? Why should they release an update patch and - even more ridiculous - an expansion pack for a game that was published six years ago and pretty much abandoned shortly after? Even if there are still a couple of die-hard fans of the original around, that alone surely would not justify such a move now, would it?

It may be matter of perspective, but I think there might be some incentives for Ubisoft to do just that: To completely and utterly surprise us, and with us the rest of their potential future customers, and on top of that to shock everyone else in the gaming industry, from their direct competitors to the pundits and writers. With one swift strike they could shake up the way they are perceived by many and give themselves a new image.

All of this could happen before or even together with a game release every GR fan is impatiently awaiting, maybe as a "Collectors Edition" or "Anniversary" bundle? That way the investment in the old game could be seen as "advertising cost" for the new one.

But as the topic description says: This may all just be my wishful thinking...

They could just finish up Ghost Recon 2,with the proper gameplay of course,and release it as a free download like they did for us Raven Shield fans with Iron Wrath. :yes: Or if they didn't want to spend any more time on Ghost Recon 2 they could send all they had finished over to Blackfoot Studios to finish it up and release it at a minimal cost. :unsure:

Would you welcome such an offer?

If outlined as you have stated, definitely.

I have never played Counter Strike in any incarnation but when Valve went from Counter Strike to Counterstrike :Source they apparently changed the gameplay very little. They merely remade the maps with the new engine and stuck to the premise, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The feeling was if they changed it too radically they would lose their fan base. Valve also supports its modding community to the nth degree. They have used this to their advantage acquiring the rights to Half Life: Counter Strike and Garry's Mod(both 3rd party modifications) and selling it. Ubi could learn a few things from Valve on how to promote and maintain a fanbase.

They could just finish up Ghost Recon 2,with the proper gameplay of course,and release it as a free download like they did for us Raven Shield fans with Iron Wrath.

Nice idea - but I was kinda aiming for a Ghost Recon (IMHO the one and only) expansion here, KRP 56. ;)

Would you welcome such an offer?

If outlined as you have stated, definitely.

[...] if it ain't broke don't fix it. The feeling was if they changed it too radically they would lose their fan base. Valve also supports its modding community to the nth degree. They have used this to their advantage [...] Ubi could learn a few things from Valve on how to promote and maintain a fanbase.

Hear hear! Good points indeed, wombat50! :thumbsup:

I'd be willing to work on something like this but I can't fix any of the bugs and it would have to be on my terms, not Ubisoft's.

Hmm... with this you introduced another very good idea, OSO.

UbiSoft could do an update to the application and organize the expansion pack to be an officially endorsed community effort. Now if only they were open to more radical new ideas... :whistle:

Now if only they were open to more radical new ideas... :whistle:

Radical? Who are you kidding? Who ever thought of releasing source code for a 7 year old game? (Quake 3 did this after 6 years) With the huge still-active community we have here, I think a lot of people would have a change of heart towards UBI if they did this.

Imagine they offer a new and final expansion pack on top of this, complete with a full mission campaign, with a new story in a new environment, new characters, maps, weapons and equipment - the works. Not necessarily larger than Desert Siege or Island Thunder - about the same amount of content.

I don't think I even have to ask you for your opinion on this - you are right here at GhostRecon.net reading this post, so I guess it's safe to assume that you, at the very least, have some interest in this, but still, I want to know: How would you feel about this? Would you welcome such an offer?

I would and would be first in line to buy it too.

I might get it, but would it be better then the Mods this community has produced?

I doubt it very much - the reality is while we havent got any more GR content from the Devs, the Modders have produced so much good stuff, why would Ubi try to compete with that? They would fail and just look silly for trying.

I think everyone should be satisfied with the 100+ maps and hundreds of missions that we did get as extra community made content.

• 2 weeks later...
I might get it, but would it be better then the Mods this community has produced?

I doubt it very much - the reality is while we havent got any more GR content from the Devs, the Modders have produced so much good stuff, why would Ubi try to compete with that? They would fail and just look silly for trying.

At best, the majority of those developers are working for different companies by now.

And on top of it, not to be negative, but we all know what comes of public demands/desires for new games, old games, and content. Nothing.

This truly is wishful thinking.

To be perfectly honest. I am happy that I have been a part, a small part, but a part of the great game we call [Ghost Recon]. I am grateful [GR] has lasted as long as it has.

And while an [GR] Redux would be awesome, it is not only improbable, its is unrealistic. The only way that I would truly be happy with a new [GR] is if they got all of the main developers back together for a second go. This won't happen.

It would be like two members of a 4 man band coming back and puting out a new album under the old band name. It just isn't the same.

Edited by +Medic+~SPARTA~

I think this wishful thinking is counter-productive. The fact that GRAW was developed as a completely new game without using GR as any sort of foundation was the "signal" that GR would only stay alive through the work of modders and the dedication of its players.

So far I have no indication that the GRAW series will revert back to GR roots and bring back many, many players into the fold. So even talking about GR enhancements seems like daydreaming to me.

It would be like two members of a 4 man band coming back and puting out a new album under the old band name. It just isn't the same.

What a great analogy! You'd think that maybe, just maybe, the new devs could re-discover the meaning and reasons for success of [GR] but the series has moved on to "accessibility to all types of players" and away from "niche", "hardcore", "tactical"...whatever adjectives you want to use.