Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

A few more questions if I may --- some guns crosshairs in Arcade mode have yellow dots for the dynamic portion of the crosshair, like in the original Ghost Recon, one example being the MG3 that Munz uses. Other guns, like the M249 have little pointy slivers, like in the non-Arcade HU. Why is this? And what variable would I have to change to make all of them appear as yellow dots instead of slivers?

I just began the Africa part of the campaign. It is cool that I get keep all my leveled up guys.

Edit: Also did you know that some of the M4s are set to single fire and three round burst?

Edited by Ghost Recon Fan

Hi Ghost Recon Fan. I cannot answer most of your questions(mainly because I never played Heroes Unleashed :P ) . The only one I can answer is this one:

Edit: Also did you know that some of the M4s are set to single fire and three round burst?

Well, actually, only the M4A1 has Safe, Semi and Full-Auto, the common issue M4 has Safe, Semi and Three Rounds Bursts.

I don't know if this is the case, but if it is then nothing is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A few more questions if I may --- some guns crosshairs in Arcade mode have yellow dots for the dynamic portion of the crosshair, like in the original Ghost Recon, one example being the MG3 that Munz uses. Other guns, like the M249 have little pointy slivers, like in the non-Arcade HU. Why is this? And what variable would I have to change to make all of them appear as yellow dots instead of slivers?

I just began the Africa part of the campaign. It is cool that I get keep all my leveled up guys.

Iron sights and other non-magnifying optics have dots while magnifying scopes have pointy slivers. You'd have to edit the .gun files with new entries for reticle textures and settings.

As Operative correctly pointed out, M4 and M4A1 have different trigger groups. This is correctly reflected in Heroes Unleashed.

My work on the next update for Heroes Unleashed has suffered a setback when two(!) of my external hard drives crashed and wiped out months of work. I've picked up the pieces and continue working on the mod, but the next release is still some time off as RL keeps pushing me to my limits. Sorry for the slow progress.

• 4 weeks later...

So I managed to reconstruct some of the stuff I had been working on before the hard drives gave up on me, but much of the new content is definitely lost for good and has to be redone. Anyhow, I am now back on track to at least know where I need to continue work, which was actually quite a puzzle for some time, as I also lost my recent dev notes in the HD crash, and there were lots of bits and pieces that didn't properly fit together anymore. Now there is order once again.

As a teaser to keep you guys interested: The next version will come with - among other things - even more maps and weapons, new default skins, additional actors/character models, overhauled UI elements, more/new vehicles, loads of balancing and fine-tuning (again), and of course essential bug fixes. Additionally, the next release of Heroes Unleashed will contain features catering to fellow modders that will make it easier to create "bolt-on" mods using assets from HU.

It's tough to estimate exactly how much time my (quite ambitious) plans for the update will still require, but I think it's safe to say that the next release should see the light of day in 2011. Meanwhile all those amazing new mods like Rockall, ZAPAD-81, and Clear & Present Danger II should be more than enough to keep everyone busy.

Thanks. I had my work (manually) mirrored on two separate striped arrays without parity (it's a long story...) and managed to pull both RAID enclosure off my desk by falling over my UPS and dragging all cables with me - nearly breaking my neck in the process. The sheer stupidity of the situation was actually quite funny but the outcome not so much.

:wall:

Thanks. I had my work (manually) mirrored on two separate striped arrays without parity (it's a long story...) and managed to pull both RAID enclosure off my desk by falling over my UPS and dragging all cables with me - nearly breaking my neck in the process. The sheer stupidity of the situation was actually quite funny but the outcome not so much.

:wall:

that sounds both unlucky and painful, nice to know you didnt break your neck though :thumbsup:

Look forward to the update, appreciate the work you have with this huge mod.

Good luck

:)

Thanks a lot, Tinker. Yes, I really created a monster with this huge thing. My work folder for Heroes Unleashed is fast approaching 1 TB in size! :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Development progress update: All vehicles retextured now, real-life vehicle weapons implemented as far as possible, and driving characteristics adjusted for more realistic movement. Every vehicle available in desert and standard camo now. Added some new ones, too. :)

Now working on a complete overhaul of equipment kits and multiplayer kit restrictions, rebalancing ammunition and implementing new primary/secondary weapon combos. It's a boatload of work and quite tricky to get it right. Hope you'll like the results.

• 2 months later...

Hey Apex, me and my friends have been playing your mod for a few months now and we absolutely love it! (especially with mission HX, keeps it different every time). I have to congratulate you for the amazing amount of work and effort you have put into this mod, and I was quite happily surprised to see that you were still working on it :D

My buddy who I play with most of the time (2 player no AI backup!) is obsessed with the Shrike 20''; man he loves that thing, he would sleep with it under his pillow if he had one (it would have to be a rather big pillow I realise). He wanted me to make a modification for him but it's outwith my skillset, so I was wondering if I could ask a small favour for your next release: Now I know this isn't necessarily realistic, but would it be possible for you to mash together a masterkey mod for the 20''? Also a suppressed version would be excellent. Please, don't worry about modding the .gun files or anything, this is really just a personal request which others may find ridiculous, so if it was just a couple of .qob files stuck in the x-tras folder it would still make my day :D

Good luck! Can't wait for the next release :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the kind words, metavoid. Always nice to have some positive feedback! :thumbsup:

Sorry, the Ares Shrike model is not by me, it was done by Snowfella and is part of his excellent Ares Shrike mod, so I don't have the original 3DSM files for it.

Work on the Heroes Unleashed update continues, although I am still miles away from the finish line. The mod is slowly becoming a real monster - the next version is weighing in at over 6 GB in its current state, and there's still loads of things I want to add. I was aiming for a non-beta version on the next release - with most of the content in place - but I started re-working so many aspects and adding so many things on my todo list that it will probably be in beta stage again, otherwise it may not even see a 2012 release date!

Don't want to spoil any surprises, so I won't get into any more details now, but the next update is going to be huge! :)

• 3 months later...

I know, I know... it's taking far too long! Nonetheless a little heads up that my work on Heroes Unleashed is still ongoing and a couple of important development milestones have been passed. Still loads of things to be done though, so I'll have to ask for your patience a while longer. At least I think that the long wait may be worth it in the end. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed v1.0.0b7

Hi folks,

Shortly after I last posted here about the development progress I went through my never ending to-do list for Heroes Unleashed and tried to estimate a time frame for completing what I had planned to include in the next release. I quickly came to the decision to throw out some of the yet unfinished content to get the update out the door a lot sooner, because otherwise it could have easily taken another year. Here are some victims of the (temporary) cut:

• almost no progress in (re-)scripting of campaign missions
  • left out many unfinished new maps, weapons, vehicles, and characters
  • additional TEAM and SOLO game types not yet implemented/included

Although I trimmed the update content a bit, I believe there will be quite enough in the new release to make it worth your while. In fact there is so much new and changed content that there won't be an update patch this time, simply because it would actually be larger than the full download, as so much content has been added and/or changed:

• New and improved game types (over 100 total for SP/MP combined)
  • Non-campaign maps feature random missions (no simple firefights)
  • Heavily improved enemy AI in SP/COOP game types
  • Improved score system (e.g. better stealth/detection)
  • Slightly improved friendly AI
  • Better external ballistics with more realistic bullet penetration
  • 25 new maps, city/desert/jungle environments etc. (175 total)
  • Over 50 new weapons (e.g. DSR 1, Mk14 EBR, SG-552, WA 2000, KSVK)
  • Innovative new weapon zoom
  • Over 1,000 equipment kits
  • ACU uniforms and new accessories for Ghosts
  • New marksman character
  • Additional Ghost team soldier characters (new appearance)
  • Additional characters for opposing force, civilians, etc.
  • Reworked and streamlined multiplayer restrictions
  • New sound dynamics
  • New UI (menus, HUD, command map, PDA, etc.)
  • New intro video
  • Loads and loads of rebalancing, adjusting, fine tuning, retexturing
  • Better widescreen support
  • Better compatibility with 3rd party mods
  • Better stability and performance (especially on low-end hardware)
  • All reported bugs fixed
  • And much more...

The Heroes Unleashed expansion pack now weighs in at about 6 GB installed and consists of over 50,000 files and folders. Even with the highest possible compression the full download is about 1.5 GB in size, so I'd wanted to split it in parts to make downloading a little easier for those on a slower internet connection, but sadly ModDB won't allow this.

Oh yes, before I forget, the new version will be released... today!

Downloads will be available shortly. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Apex