Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

For HU, when selecting weapons if the icon has a plus(+) by it the weapon has zoom. No (+) no zoom.
Indeed, a lot of kits!

Kit restrictions having HK417 16 in platoon one ("mp_plt1")
-SAS Sniper(mp_plt1-gb_sas_s1.atr) has HK417 16" using the "Spetsgruppa Vympel" kit restriction
-SAS Sniper(mp_plt1-gb_sas_s1.atr) has HK417 16" using the "SAS Special Air Service" kit restriction

Editing the server you can change the kit restriction from the "gameplay" tab scrolling through "Available Kits"
In co-op, only platoon one ("mp_plt1") weapons will be available.
Kit restrictions have weapons for 4 platoons but the extra platoons are for team games.

Example: X2-vega.kil (found in the HU/kits folder) known as a kit restriction. Can be opened with notepad or any text editor. The .kil file(kit restriction) has actor names and kit names. If looking for a specific weapon use ctrl+F to search. A search for hk417 will find the first occurrence. To be more specific use hk41716. Using hk417 16 will have no result as it only occurs in the file as hk41716.
-Example actor name mp_plt1-gb_sas_s1.atr if opened with notepad will have under <ActorName>: SAS Sniper. This is how it appears in the server.
-Example kit name: "s-hk41716-ag416.kit" Opened with notepad this will reference the primary(usually .gun file) and secondary(can be .gun. .itm or .prj file) These types of files can be opened with notepad and will display the attributes. The HK417 16 does have a zoom of 32 which is a lot. This attribute is found in the .gun file at the very bottom.

The below list are .kil files(kit restrictions) found in the HU/ kit folder.
The left column is how it appears in the kit folder
The right column is how they will appear editing the server for "Available Kits"

"X0-GHOST"                           "Ghost Recon"
 "X1-ALFA"                            "Spetsgruppa Alfa"
 "X2-VEGA"                            "Spetsgruppa Vympel"
 "X3-USMC"                            "Marine Force Recon"
 "X4-DELTA"                           "Delta Force"
 "X5-KSK"                             "KSK Kommando Spezialkraefte"
 "X6-SAS"                             "SAS Special Air Service"
 "X7-SEAL"                            "SEAL Team Six"

"X8-US"                              "U.S. Units (Team-Vs-Team)"
 "X9-NON_US"                          "Non-U.S. Units (Team-Vs-Team)"

"XA-ALL"                             "Joint Task Force (Co-Op/Solo)"
 This is a partial list from the strings.txt found in HU/shell/folder and
 appears at the bottom under: // CONFIGURATION FILES - HEROES UNLEASHED

Edited by wombat50

• 4 weeks later...

I think I found a bug, maybe?

Is it just me, or does suppressed fire sound quite loud? Go to 9 seconds and then 22 seconds here: https://streamable.com/4ni5yd

I know suppressors aren't supposed to make weapons completely silent but, it still sounds like maybe too loud to me. Anyone else agree or am I mistaken?

Edited by ipkpjersi

Hi. First of all, thanks for HU mode.
And sorry for my poor english.
Looks like i found few bugs during Black Ops missions and in multiplayer Coop missions, or maybe just something wrong with installation?
Tried with different versions of latest patched GR, mp1 and mp2 installed, all the same.
I played with my friend in coop mode (lan or vpn) with latest HU FULL MOD 1.0.1

1. On some maps, for example on original GR "Spectre wind" a player at client side (who joined the game) can see some strange 3D vehicles shapes artifacts. On "Spectre wind" - when you join game and start moving forward, then turn back and forth (not earlier) you can see a small helicopter at the start of the map and big helicopter hovering over the center of the map. You can go throw them and they looks more like 3D black shadow shapes. The same strange artifacts can be seen on "Iron Dragon" on south end of the map in the niche - two trucks and two helicopters shapes penetrating each other) etc. They all visible all the time after you join to coop mission and move around but seems not involving in the game. For the player with server - all fine, no visible artefacts.
With Heroes Unleashed DEMO - all fine, no artifacts.

2. On some maps some tasks in random generated black ops game mod can not be completed. For example, on the map "Red Square" from original GR no demo charges can be placed on a eastern circle stand near the cathedral and no intel data (USB Stick)can be found here too. No script triggering in this spot at all, no text messages apear no smoke, nothing. So mission can not be completed forever. Other places on this map seems to work. This was happend few times on some other maps that i tried both single and multiplayer.
The same happens with HU FULL and DEMO versions of mod.

Can someone test this with these certain maps?

Edited by gr1fan

1. Sounds like the black shadow bug which only happens in MP games. Vehicles or soldiers are hidden in the Igor editor to be shown later in the mission. These hidden vehicles and soldiers appear as black shadows to the client but never are seen by the server. If hidden soldiers are not made invincible in the Igor editor, shooting them will crash the game. Vehicles can not be made invincible in the editor.

2. I don't have HU 1.0.1 installed so can't test.

Edited by wombat50

Thanks for reply. Have never tried modding and editing though.

So it seems that p.1 can not be fixed, but it is sad to see phantom helicopter in the center  of the map on "Spectre wind" not hidden somewhere in the corner. Again, this never happens in HU DEMO version with this map.

2.  I hope this bug with random tasks in "black ops" can be fixed in the future with v1.x.x updates.

7 hours ago, gr1fan said:

So it seems that p.1 can not be fixed

There are a few things that help.
-The mission maker should try to place hidden actors and vehicles where the players are least likely to see them.
-Mission makers should make hidden actors invincible so if their black shadows are shot it does not crash the game. This does not work for vehicles. When actors are shown the mission maker should make them vulnerable.
-Some maps have areas for hidden actors and vehicles. These areas are not accessible to the player. When the mission maker wants to show them he teleports them to an area where they are needed.

It is probably the number one issue in co-op. It spoils the immersion and crashes the mission if they are shot. Friends and I see this every time we play.

Edited by wombat50

The mod is incredible - thank you so much for all the time and effort you have put in. Having great fun with the campaigns just now.

Whenever I try to do Firefight, on any map (I have tried several) I get an instant CTD. There is more than enough campaign content to keep me occupied for months! But if you have any suggestions how I might troubleshoot, I'd love to give Firefight a bash!

UPDATE: I uninstalled the Steam versions of desert siege and island thunder and replaced them with the compatibility packs provided with HU. Didn't help, still CTD! And I lost all my campaign saves =(

Edited by fitz_andthe_fool

Check your ike.log(not ikeCrash.log) after a game crash. It is found in the main GR folder. This must be done before restarting the game otherwise any info about the crash will be lost. It opens with Notepad or any text editor.

Ignore any references to:
Unable to find ike_fx_fire_type2.tga anywhere.
Unable to find lighthalo_effect3.rsb anywhere.
These are  never the cause of a crash.

Usually any clues for the crash are in the last 4-5 lines of the ike.log(found in the main GR directory)
For convenience, you can rename the ike.log to keep it from being overwritten. Some crashes are due to missing files and the ike.log will name these sometimes.

This is not a guarantee the ike.log will help. Sometimes it is of no help or it may list red herrings(errors totally unrelated).

Edited by wombat50

Thanks for the advice.

ike report reads:

***** User's system configuration ***** 
      CPU: AuthenticAMD 3693 MHz Recent AMD
      RAM: 2048 MB
      O/S: Microsoft Windows NT Family 6.2  build 9200
Ghost Recon (RELEASE)  version = 1.4.0.0(0)
RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Creating a 1920x1080 window at 0,0 on monitor Generic PnP Monitor attached to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RSDisplayMgr::CreateGameWindow: Game running on primary display Generic PnP Monitor attached to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
HAL (hw vp): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 X8R8G8B8
RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device Speakers (5- Razer BlackShark V2 Pro)
   driver is {0.0.0.00000000}.{e3bdaac0-dadd-4468-add5-8acf8d6fbb30}
RSSoundMgrPC: Selecting sound device Speakers (5- Razer BlackShark V2 Pro)
   driver is {0.0.0.00000000}.{e3bdaac0-dadd-4468-add5-8acf8d6fbb30}
RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\origmiss\save\game\gr1 doom.csf_bin
Loading map d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\m01_caves\m01_caves.map
SimGun: Gun node Fixed MG 01 has no camera offset helper point.
Failed to Reset Device
Failed to Reset Device

2 hours ago, fitz_andthe_fool said:

Loading map d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\heroes unleashed\map\m01_caves\m01_caves.map
SimGun: Gun node Fixed MG 01 has no camera offset helper point.
Failed to Reset Device
Failed to Reset Device

This is one of the times the ike.log is not any help.
I can see the game was loading the Caves map and the last three lines are not things that cause a crash.

Was this while trying to play a HU firefight? Do other Game Types work such as Defend or Recon?
Is HU setup with any add-ons from the XTRA folder? You might try using HU with no add-ons if that is the case.

For troubleshooting, if any other mods are being used deactivate them any use only:
Desert Siege
Island Thunder
Heroes Unleashed

The Campaigns all work and I can do the 'Mission' Game Type. It seems the other Game Types (I tried 5 or 6) instantly CTD when I try to select them (it crashes before loading the briefing / squad select screens).

I'm not using any add ons or mods and my load order appears as DS, IS then HU as you've suggested above.

I haven't tried reinstalling the base game or reinstalling the mod, perhaps this should be my next step?

Also, thank you very much for the suggestions and advice - much appreciated!

Edited by fitz_andthe_fool

21 hours ago, fitz_andthe_fool said:

UPDATE: I uninstalled the Steam versions of desert siege and island thunder and replaced them with the compatibility packs provided with HU. Didn't help, still CTD! And I lost all my campaign saves =(

This may not help but I think you absolutely need your Steam versions of Desert Siege and Island Thunder activated.
Ignore the Compatibility Add-ons from the HU Xtras Folder. They are for people without DS and IT if I am correct.
I think you said the firefight didn't work even when you had the Steam versions activated.

See if it crashes trying a firefight using a custom map. I think the maps numbered from 001 through 050 are maps from the game so try a map with a number higher than 050. Maybe try one numbered 060 to be certain it is a custom map.

8 hours ago, fitz_andthe_fool said:

RSFILEDATA: FindFile could not find file d:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\ghost recon\mods\origmiss\save\game\gr1 doom.csf_bin

The above quote is from your ike.log and I think it is saying it can't find your campaign saves. I can't figure out why it is listing this when you are trying to play a firefight. A mystery to me.

So far the ike.log is not helping find the problem. But it is always worth looking at it after a crash as it might list a missing file that is needed.

I hate to suggest reinstalling the game or redownloading HU but it may come to that. Someone may come by and suggest something more worthwhile.

Edited by wombat50

Tried a few above level 60 and even above 100. Still CTD :(

I thought it was odd that it mentioned the campaign save in the ike but most of the tech stuff goes above my head anyway!

I'll try reinstalling when I can face it lol, for now I'll just keep at the campaigns. Cheers again for all the help suggestions, I'll let you know if I make any progress!

• Like 1

I noticed that there's exactly 300 missions available to play in Heroes Unleashed. I have a couple questions:

1) Is there 300 missions because there is a hard limit of 300 missions in Ghost Recon 2001?

2) Is there a limit to how many replays you can save? I like to save replays every single mission success which adds up quickly when playing this game, so I hope I don't hit the maximum number of replays one day.

I always watch my own replays rather than share them, so having the mods shouldn't be a problem.

Out of curiosity, I copy pasted my existing replays until I had over 1200 and it looks like I can view them all in-game so that's pretty cool. There's a high limit for replays if there is one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Participation in campaign missions no longer results in additional combat points for individual soldiers, and no extra combat points are given out in quick missions anymore, either.  All soldier stats are completely reworked for improved character abilities and AI behavior, so the combat point system would no longer have any effect.

So do the soldiers improve at all, with experience?

A Question concerning HU_101_fix.7z made by Eizenhauer.
As he said
When you are in the mission selection menu, the fixed missions are marked with fix.
Heroes Unleashed 1.0.1 full with HU_101_fix highest priority.
Do we need to select missions named with FIX at the end to play or are they kinda marks in the map list meaning that certain missions fixed and we should select normally named maps without a FIX to play?
I ask this because, for example, when we play Mission "Swift Hatchet fix" (Woods) enemy soldiers strangelly appears straightly from the rock on the left side ahead and kill almost all teammates and bots no matter how accurate we are start moving from the insertion point forward. Sometimes they are almost invisible and shoot from the rock. Bots dying and can not see them. The same group of enemies appears from the rock behind the base with fuel tank and radio tower. Task to kill warlords cannot be completed after all kills on the map.
But when we select NOT fixed map - mission plays fine.

• 2 weeks later...