Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

FYI: Yes, I will probably be using DXT texture compression, but to implement this for all of the map textures seems just unfeasible for a variety of reasons, e.g. long level loading times, as some of the bigger maps would take several minutes to load on reasonable hardware.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, die7 said:

Of content which is also In use and not for tracking, archiving or future mod development?

Map folder alone is almost 60 GB, not a single unused texture in there now. But mod development stuff and other XTRAS have grown a bit too, I admit. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Zeealex said:

I didn't even think DXT was possible in rsb files, I'm rusty!!

Yes DXT1 up to DXT5 are possible, although the implementation isn’t all that great. Textures are apparently loaded, decompressed and then recompressed when you start a mission. VRAM savings are potentially huge (up to 6:1), though.

8 minutes ago, Jack Wachter said:

Why do I feel like this is going too far?

Too far? What’s that? 🤪

The accessibility is going way down. I would have to cleanup some space to even install it at this point. I know some games have large install sizes, but that doesn't that's an example we should follow. I definitely don't like the prospect of having to tell some of the people I play with "hey, you know that giant 30 GB mod? It's got an update that more than doubles the size."

Would it be possible to make a version with downgraded textures?

First of all, I’m not blowing up the mod’s size for the sheer fun of it, but to raise visual quality and add valuable content.

I’ve looked into DXT compression as an option to reduce the size significantly, but the image quality degraded too much, and the long load times (2-3 minutes for a map) are not justified, IMHO.

Of course, downsizing textures allows for a smaller, “more accessible” mod, but then why play HU at all?

It’s big, it’s hard, it’s unforgiving. And it tries to capture twenty years of Ghost Recon gaming and modding history, while giving the game a lick of fresh paint and the most hardcore tactical gameplay possible. I think Ghost Recon deserves to be big. It deserves to be huge. It deserves a humongous chunk of my disk space, just as it deserves a sizable part of my time, and HU is probably most suitable for people who feel in a similar way.

Anyhow, I’ll think about it while I set up an 8 terabyte hard drive a friend just donated to me. 🙂

• Like 1

Here‘s a question for you folks. Would you rather have a smaller installed size and wait 3 minutes for each new map to load (while having worse visuals), or free up 80 GB of disk space? I could indeed create two different versions of HU, but the workload would be insane (as usual).

I can only speak for myself but I've already set side 100GB for this so I am happy. However I can understand the pov of those which cannot. I suppose to give yourself a break you could release the 'full' version first and over the next few months work on a 'lite' version to release later...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Well, it’s not really a popularity contest, but yes, it would be possible, and I’ll think about it. Although I don’t like the idea all that much, so I won’t promise anything.

What about the idea do you not like?

2 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Here‘s a question for you folks. Would you rather have a smaller installed size and wait 3 minutes for each new map to load (while having worse visuals), or free up 80 GB of disk space? I could indeed create two different versions of HU, but the workload would be insane (as usual).

Both options, at least for me, sound like they suck. On one hand, I would get infuriated by loading times (this is the kind of game I want to jump into and play with minimal loading once it boots up). On the other, I would have to convince myself and others to free up space (and as I said, some of the people I've talked to and play with will NOT download HU with the current size projection, including those that already have the space).

80Gb is big, especially when it's for a game that came out in 2001, but if you consider the sheer amount of development that has gone into this, 80Gb is big, but it's far from too big, currently, compared to the vast number of current titles.

• Thanks 1

Compression commencing... What a ride! DXT should be able to bring HU‘s install size down to around 40GB again. With the loading issue solved, that makes it a no-brainer, even with slightly degraded image quality.

If I put the non-compressed maps in a separate download as an add-on mod, together both mods would take up about 100GB installed, but as that would be optional, people could decide if they want to spend the extra disk space.

Sounds good?

• Tier 1 Post 1