Ghost Recon: Heroes Unleashed

ApexMods

15 minutes ago, Jack Wachter said:

Does removing the HUD also mean removing the top left text? I know I use that for my missions somewhat, including my copy of the HU exfil timer. I just want names in MP to not show up for kills. I know we can make our names blank, but that is far from ideal since it becomes hard to tell who has joined and what slots everyone is in.

Not part of my plan. Again, at the moment this is just an idea in my head, and I think there‘s a way to realize it. Could still turn out undoable. If it works how I think it works, that message log would not be affected.

Getting rid of player names popping up would require to eliminate the log altogether. I think with HU’s faster scrolling  it’s not so bad as to remove it completely. HU 1.0 uses it for very little messaging in MP,  and the next version will use it even less. Some people still use the log for in-game messaging in MP (I do), so I have no plans to do away with it yet.

6 minutes ago, nyleken said:

I personally wouldn't bother with it. HUD elements exist for a reason, and the current one is pretty minimalistic already.

You’re right. There are more worthwhile things to work on. I always get carried away modding Ghost Recon. There is just so much I still want to do with Heroes Unleashed. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ApexMods said:

I always get carried away modding Ghost Recon. 

Impossible. 😉

I suppose I could ask whether you've made any changes to your mission script framework.

• Like 1

I'm with nyleken, better things to work on.

Most know what f9 does but I haven't seen f11 or f12 mentioned.
f11 toggles health icon lower LH corner
f12 toggles weapon icons lower RH corner.

Edited by wombat50
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat50 said:

Most know what f9 does but I haven't seen f11 or f12 mentioned.
f11 toggles health icon lower LH corner
f12 toggles weapon icons lower RH corner.

Yep, IIRC F9 also toggles the weapon reticle, so F11 and F12 are preferable.

1 hour ago, nyleken said:

I suppose I could ask whether you've made any changes to your mission script framework.

Will have to look at my notes, but IIRC, I only made changes to SP GTF scripts and the default random mission (fixed e.g. an erroneous dialog pop up), while the mission template for campaign missions is unaltered. I’m using it for the new campaign missions.

Adversarial MP scripts where thoroughly overhauled and expanded, though.

I’ll try to get the finished weapon sounds to Jack Wachter as soon as they’re done (hopefully by tomorrow), so he can do a “before and after” comparison video.

Skipped on the HUD idea for now, manual almost done (approaching 50,000 words). Back to campaign mission scripting (and retexturing of corresponding maps) soon.

I’d really love to see more feedback to get a better sense of what’s most wanted by all of you folks, especially if you’ve encountered any bugs, errors, or other shortcomings.

There’s over 100,000 people out there who’ve downloaded Heroes Unleashed. Make your voices heard! 🙂

• Like 1

We are all happy with your work so far, especially about accumulated knowledge and experience over all the years, which result is really great, and we all can learn from it (I love XTRAS folder)

If I can be free to say what changes I would like to see , then is next:

- increase enemy actor skill (weapon, stamina,stealth, leadership) since 0.125 vs 200 for ghosts is quite unbalanced

- decrease ghosts skills (I like good soldiers but not superheroes) and bring scoring system back

- remove detection of the enemies (voice alarm once enemy is near, or ghost was spotted, at least when playing just with one soldier)

- Improve damage (armor) values

- Enemy can use also better weapons, (in the missions) not that in 2008 Russia army had just ak47 and rpg7 for example, same for DS,IT

- weapon/ammo reloading times (even in my six Y in the army I was not able to reload/replace mag of m16a1 under 4,8sec in stand, prone 5,4sec , taking from the vest, not drooping old one to the earth but back to vest..I would say in combat will be faster since you normally would drop it) take look to example of this guy which have optimum conditions need 3 sec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_HNXIxDZ8

- aimed rate of fire...for my felling need to be reduced for 50%

- decrease number of the ghost weapon kits (many of the kits do not make much sense (at least the combination of it) but also it is definitely to much and probably 90% not used

- add all existing or missing maps which has been ever made for GR

- collect and add all customized items,  vehicles, etc

- create more missions with more story and diff scenarios

- hd textures

- replace ghosts skins (take example of jack or centcom)

- improve night vision (the one from Project Novo is great)

- clean cm, no enemy detection at all

- increase m136 or rpg or javelin to 2 prj

tbc

Edited by die7
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick note about number 13  - replace ghosts skins (take example of jack or centcom)  

The Ghosts in  Delta Force, Centcom and Blood oil  were not Redstorm model's and there for  are skinned  in a different way to the original ghost models. You would have to replace all the files associated with the the original Ghosts  with the ones for the highers characters, in every mission.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack Wachter said:

Adversarial game modes where there is an AI company hostile to all players that just patrols around and/or civilians. Something that makes hunting other players more interesting. Most of my PvP experience seems to boil down to "whoever moves against a stationary target dies."

The MP game type overhaul will alleviate camping a bit. And yes, there are AI hostiles in the new MP games. :)

10 hours ago, die7 said:

1) increase enemy actor skill (weapon, stamina,stealth, leadership) since 0.125 vs 200 for ghosts is quite unbalanced

2) decrease ghosts skills (I like good soldiers but not superheroes) and bring scoring system back

3) remove detection of the enemies (voice alarm once enemy is near, or ghost was spotted, at least when playing just with one soldier)

4) Improve damage (armor) values

5) Enemy can use also better weapons, (in the missions) not that in 2008 Russia army had just ak47 and rpg7 for example, same for DS,IT

6) weapon/ammo reloading times (even in my six Y in the army I was not able to reload/replace mag of m16a1 under 4,8sec in stand, prone 5,4sec , taking from the vest, not drooping old one to the earth but back to vest..I would say in combat will be faster since you normally would drop it) take look to example of this guy which have optimum conditions need 3 sec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_HNXIxDZ8

7) aimed rate of fire...for my felling need to be reduced for 50%

😎 decrease number of the ghost weapon kits (many of the kits do not make much sense (at least the combination of it) but also it is definitely to much and probably 90% not used

9) add all existing or missing maps which has been ever made for GR

10) collect and add all customized items,  vehicles, etc

11) create more missions with more story and diff scenarios

12) hd textures

13) replace ghosts skins (take example of jack or centcom)

14) improve night vision (the one from Project Novo is great)

15) clean cm, no enemy detection at all

16) increase m136 or rpg or javelin to 2 prj

First of all a huge thank you for the feedback! Very much appreciated.

1) The huge difference between enemy and player skill is that the enemy is a computer. The discrepancy in skill value is for weapons control only, which aims to compensate the obvious advantages a computer has over a human e.g. reacting and aiming, and it was the result of lots of in-game testing. Giving AI comparable skill values ends up with the pin point accuracy of vanilla enemies. The new add-on to restore stat progression (see 2) will take player stats back to vanilla.

2) The stat progression / scoring system will be restorable via add-on mod, which is already completed.

3) I had this implemented in the scripts, but had to remove it (and loads of other features) due to script size constraints (64K source limit).

4) Already done.

5) Good point. Will do.

6) I think I looked into this, but IIRC it's hard coded and cannot be changed.

7) Please elaborate. I'm not sure I understand what exactly it is you mean.

😎 Nope. No way.

9) Underway.

10) Dito, but not that high on my list.

11) Underway.

12) Underway.

13) Underway.

14) IIRC Novo uses NV from an old version of HU. Will check.

15) Please elaborate.

16) AT4 is a one-shot disposable launcher, and the Javelin weighs a ton as it is. But I hear you. Will revisit the idea.

• Like 1
  • Tier 1 Post 1

woo, thank you for update ...it feels like Christmas is coming sooner as expected :) I can not wait to get it under my fingers

7) aimed rate of fire...hmm ok, my bad ...let me try to explain better ..aiming at self is happening to fast..in the fact for my felling coil control, recoil stabilization, and aiming stability is way to fast and gives unrealistic felling having super skills and weapons but also to much advantage over enemies ai opponents but also is a issue in mp or pvp.

15)removing red dots from command maps for enemies as well for  vehicles, hostage position... etc..so really clean :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ApexMods said:

Sent the new weapon sounds to Jack. Off to a short vacation with the folks, so I got to run. 🙂

how about shells sound? this could be also a big improvement since they are missing if I am correct

Currently adapting new maps for HU and in the process of fixing skyboxes etc. to fit the light setup / shadow angle and so on.

I’ve always wondered why almost all maps get this wrong, including quite a few original ones. If you model a new map, why would you end up using a light solution that’s different from the one used during initial darkmap and grounddm creation?

I think from all the maps in HU, originally there have been only a handful with correct light/shadow direction.

• Like 1

Looks like the HU update will take a lot longer than I thought (what a surprise, right?), but I’ll try to make the longer wait worth it.

Also got a little caught up in the manual, which stands at almost 60,000 words now, and the developer notes have grown further, too (in hope they may help fellow modders).

Installed size will likely pass 40 GB, and the download itself could end up well over 20 GB, so it might be about time to look for a torrent solution, in addition to the standard web downloads.

• Like 1